Kindle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it was my birthday yesterday (yea!), and I was all ready to buy a book to celebrate...only to remember that at work I received a birthday card, which was nice because I didn't think people really knew me enough to get me anything.  I open the card and what do I spy?  Why a nice gift card for a bookstore (my 'team' knew that I read a lot with my Kindle).  I was happy and touched, but looking at the gift card more closely it hit me, this is a Barnes & Noble card. :p  Okay so to tell you the truth I was the tiniest bit disappointed and made me do a double take.  But I'm happy with it, as the books I want aren't on Kindle form...yet.  So it will help me to bide my time. :D

I was wondering has something similar happened to anyone else...or am I just the wierd one out? ;D

Tris

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Happy belated birthday!!! Yes, I forget who it happened to but it was recently. I suggested that if their B&N had a Starbucks...get hyped on coffee or the seasonal Peppermint Hot Chocolate and find a cozy corner to read your Kindle :))

·
Registered
4,900 Posts
I have very rarely gone into a B&N store.  Did recently though as B&N in the area relocated to a much larger space.  I saw beautiful leather journals, etc.  Oberon?

·
Registered
679 Posts
happy Birthday...

Cynared had a good suggestion... or use it to buy a book you want a hardcopy of, or maybe one of their non-book items.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I guess you could use the gift card to buy a book light, book stand, music or something else.

It's at least nice to know your friends know you like reading and bought you something they thought was appropriate :)

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the kind words, I would actually get some coffee only if I didn't stop drinking it for about a year now.  I am WAY more into my nice green tea. ;D  I'm practically obessed with the stuff. 

Does anyone know if they sell those Mighty Bright XtraFlex2 at the Barnes & Noble stores?  I never checked as, yes, I too have not gone into a bookstore in a long time now.  I THINK I saw them at Borders but that was a long time ago too...so I'm not sure if it was or wasn't one.

Tris

P.S.
This thanksgiving, I got four of my cousins wanting to buy a Kindle now...and I didn't really have to say anything.  They just played around with mine. ;D

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
There are sites kind of like ebay where you can either swap or sell your unwanted gift cards.  You'll lose a bit of the value, but at least you could use most of it for Kindle books.  Or you could just regift the B&N card and get you some Kindle books under the "penny saved is a penny earned" philosophy ;)

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I received a B & N gift card and used it to buy a book (birthday gift) for someone who doesn't have a Kindle.  I still had $20 left on the card which my sweet husband "bought" from me because he had a DTB that he needed for his hobby of collecting antique marbles.... and I could then buy more books for my Kindle.  If this hadn't worked out... my plan was to use the gift card for a new book light and "accessories" for my Kindle.

·
Registered
508 Posts
We now have two Barnes and Noble stores in this city...both located in shopping areas that are just too frou-frou for words. (I mean, I simply don't have the wardrobe to go to either....<sigh>!)

Anyway, last year I received four B&N gift cards...primarily because they are sold in our local grocery (yep, a lot of thought went into the gifts received from the brothers...at least they do know that I like to read). I finally dug all four of them out this morning, and spent every cent on music. I know. I know. All of what I bought is available for direct download on from I-Tunes...and probably Amazon at this point. I am, however, a bit of a dinosaur. Even though I have an I-Pod (which I LOVE with every fiber of my soul...possibly even more than my Kindle, if you can believe that), and a docking station for it here at the house (also one at the office). I still buy music on CD's and then transfer them to the I-Pod. In addition to the docking station for the I-Pod at the one end of the house. We have CD players in 5 of the rooms, and ones that take multiple discs in two of them. We truly are "all about the music".

So I finally burned all the B&N gift cards...still have a $100 dollar one from Borders (not located in such a frou-frou area, and really pretty fun to visit), and I've made it pretty clear that this year I need cards from AMAZON.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts