Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
12,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The holiday season is coming! (Maybe it's here already?!) What kinds of accessories would you recommend for Kindle owners?

Or, what's on your own wishlist in terms of Kindle accessories?

(See Amazon's list of Best-selling Kindle accessories
)

Gift Ideas for Kindle Owners

Amazon.com Gift Card

·
Registered
81 Posts
Amazon gift card for sure.

My wife and I saw that a change counting machine in the local grocery store allows you to count change for free if you put that money on a gift card to one of their affiliate companies. Amazon was one of them.

Our big bowl of $150+ worth of change just may be buying books and blog subscriptions for us. I know any Kindler would love the freedom to read that a gift card would bring.

·
Registered
12,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That makes good sense, especially for Kindle owners.

I'll add a link to that in the OP.

·
Registered
205 Posts
The only thing I want accessory-wise is a gift card.  All the other stuff is just money that could be spent on books!  :D  Altho, I'm a bit bummed that you can't use a gift card for subs to newspapers and magazines. 

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
hazeldazel said:
Altho, I'm a bit bummed that you can't use a gift card for subs to newspapers and magazines.
This is true... however, my MIL is going to give my husband a $120 gift certificate to spend on the Wall Street Journal for Christmas; we will just add that to our account, and it'll get spent quickly enough. ::)

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
thomashton said:
Amazon gift card for sure.

My wife and I saw that a change counting machine in the local grocery store allows you to count change for free if you put that money on a gift card to one of their affiliate companies. Amazon was one of them.

Our big bowl of $150+ worth of change just may be buying books and blog subscriptions for us. I know any Kindler would love the freedom to read that a gift card would bring.
oooo... I am going to have to check that out... I just rolled the coins from our change bucket and nearly $248.00!!
That will buy lots of books and maybe an m-edge too! :D

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Regarding the change counting machines: they are the Coinstar machines. Not all Coinstar machines have the giftcard option so go to www.coinstar.com to find out which ones in your area do.

Once great thing...if you put coins in and ask for money, the machine takes a fee of 8.4%. But if you ask for a giftcard, you get the full amount, ie, $43.62 in change will be given to you as a giftcard. No counting fee is deducted.

Note that what you get is not a plastic card. It's a slip of paper with the amount of money and the code for Amazon.

You can just throw in whatever change you have. The machine sorts it so if you have any non-US coins in there, it just spits them out.

You can put any amount of change in, it doesn't need to be an even amount.

L

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Good tip, thanks Leslie.  I guess the coinstar I usually go to doesn't offer that option, I never thought to search for one. 
I agree with most - all I really want for Christmas is Amazon gift cards.  Most people that give gifts think that gift cards are 'boring', but I find that irritating!  It's what I want!!  Perfect example - last year for Christmas in my fiance's family's gift exchange his cousin asked me what I wanted, and that was my answer.  What did I get?  An awful looking scarf and gloves that I've never worn.  Why is that better than what I want?! 
Now I just sound whiny, sorry.  I'm not a brat, I just think gift cards are the best gift!

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Leslie said:
Regarding the change counting machines: they are the Coinstar machines. Not all Coinstar machines have the giftcard option so go to www.coinstar.com to find out which ones in your area do.
Woo Hoo \o/ Thanks for the info Leslie! I located a Coinstar machine about 3 miles from my house that offers the Amazon eCertificate!! :D

Jen said:
... I'm not a brat, I just think gift cards are the best gift!
I agree with you Jen and fortunately so do my family members... We all end up just giving each other gift cards and everyone is happy!

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
My dad is deployed right now and the last time I talked to him he said I could have his jar of coins. Immediately I ran (actually drove. crossing the street where I live could be fatal) to the closest coinstar (across the street) and exchanged it for a amazon card. So I had 50 bucks for to spend....I spent in less than an half hour.

·
Registered
81 Posts
HAHAHAHA :D

This is too funny. I'm sorry Harvey I turned this into a CoinStar-Amazon Gift Card thread.

It works though, and is definately something people can use for more Kindle content so I am all for it.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
But the Coinstar info is really useful, if I do say so myself! I never knew they had different kinds of coinstar machines til someone mentioned it on the Amazon thread. Being a pay it forward kind of gal, now I share the info with all of you!

L

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
Leslie said:

Once great thing...if you put coins in and ask for money, the machine takes a fee of 8.4%. But if you ask for a giftcard, you get the full amount, ie, $43.62 in change will be given to you as a giftcard. No counting fee is deducted.

Note that what you get is not a plastic card. It's a slip of paper with the amount of money and the code for Amazon.

You can just throw in whatever change you have. The machine sorts it so if you have any non-US coins in there, it just spits them out.

You can put any amount of change in, it doesn't need to be an even amount.

L
Thanks, Leslie, I found one VERY near my house!

Is there a time limit on the Amazon cards? Not that that's a problem the way I buy books!

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:
Thanks, Leslie, I found one VERY near my house!

Is there a time limit on the Amazon cards? Not that that's a problem the way I buy books!
Interesting question. I just received two certificates yesterday...the ones I get from using my Amazon Visa card. They used to have an expiration date on them: they were good for a year with a 6 month grace period, so 18 months total. But looking at these certs, no expiration. Maybe they got rid of that?

L

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
I feel so dumb - there is apparently a coinstar with ecertificates at the kroger where I've grocery shopped for 5 years - I've never noticed it!!  The one I usually go to is much farther away, and doesn't offer them.  Oops!

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Jen said:
I feel so dumb - there is apparently a coinstar with ecertificates at the kroger where I've grocery shopped for 5 years - I've never noticed it!! The one I usually go to is much farther away, and doesn't offer them. Oops!
Well, at least now you know!

L

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I get the certificates from my Amazon Visa as well.... I can honestly say I have never gotten near the expiration date. ::)

·
Registered
695 Posts
I've used the coinstar e-certificates myself and it's so easy and convenient.  I've always redeemed my coins for iTunes codes but that may now change  ;D

·
Registered
205 Posts
Gift cards that are bank cards (visa, mastercard, etc) have expiration dates, plus they can fees after they've been open so long even before they expire.  :mad:  That said, I think it would be nearly impossible to run into that problem with Amazon - between books and other stuff you could buy, that money would go QUICK!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts