Kindle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so most of the beta readers that will be looking at my work are people that are extremely busy with their own lives.
Most of them are students, who, in the midst of finals, working, or dealing with children, have agreed to give me feedback on my novel.
That said, I feel like maybe I should give them something to compensate for their time. I don't know if that's normal or not. Is that lame? And if it isn't, any suggestions on something I could give that might nice?

I love giving people cards, but I feel like that might be too small. I can't really critique their work because they aren't writers.
I wouldn't be telling them I'm getting them anything, especially because I wouldn't want to influence what they have to say...
I definitely don't want "Well Parrisha gave me a nice chocolate bar, maybe I shouldn't have been so harsh about chapter three..."
What do you guys think?

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
I had an author ask me to beta read for her, and because she wants it to be an ongoing thing, not just 1 book, she offered me $50/book. I told her we'd see how the first one went, we may not like each other's style. Although, I have enjoyed her previous books, I had nothing to do with them.

·
Registered
12,227 Posts
If you know what kinds of gadgets they have and what their tastes are you can go to DecalGirl and buy them skins. I'm about to surprise my hubby with a fantasy skin for his XBox. Shhh... It's a fairly cheap gift but fun. You can skin ereaders, cell phones, game stations, laptops, etc. Just gotta know what model they've got so you can be sure the skin will fit it.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Definitely like the ideas! I think I'm going to try the DecalGirl idea!

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
I guess it depends on how much they're your friends and how much they're your fans. My betas are people I met through writing, mostly fans. So I consider letting them read the book free before everyone else kind of a gift in itself.

I found my best readers initially by running a contest on my blog for people to help edit my book. I was amazed at how many people entered.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I have given beta readers Amazon E-gift cards ($20 - $50).  After they have read it, of course.  They didn't know I was going to do it beforehand.

Katrina

·
Registered
918 Posts
I feel guilty now because I didn't get my beta readers for Dead Living anything  :(

I did give them a mention at the front of my book though.

·
Registered
240 Posts
valeriec80 said:
I guess it depends on how much they're your friends and how much they're your fans. My betas are people I met through writing, mostly fans. So I consider letting them read the book free before everyone else kind of a gift in itself.

I found my best readers initially by running a contest on my blog for people to help edit my book. I was amazed at how many people entered.
Interesting idea to run a contest to let people help with editing. I will keep that in mind for future releases when I have a fan base. For now, the beta readers will be friends and family (one of them is a retired editor).

G

·
My writing group beta read for me.

We are throwing a massive party for the "book launch."  Since I'm doing this indie, there are no agents/publishers/etc to be at the book launch, so it will be my beta crew and close "inner circle."

I'm not sure what the gift bags will have other than the book.  Ahmed is running this show.  It could get pretty ugly.  LOL  I mentioned the word "budget" and he ranted for almost an hour.

My the lord have mercy on us all...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts