Kindle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone use the program Ginger to spell check and to find typos? I've been using it for a couple of weeks and it works great.

·
Administrator
10,117 Posts
Joebruno999 said:
Does anyone use the program Ginger to spell check and to find typos? I've been using it for a couple of weeks and it works great.
I don't use it, but I'll check it out. Thanks for the tip. I'm always looking for help in that department.

P.S. The tagline in your signature is awesome. :)

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Still not Ginger, here.;D I have looked at it, though, and wondered what it does that Microsoft Word does not do. Can you give me some examples of what errors it might catch that Word would miss?

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Damn, and I thought this thread would pander to MY literary kink!  ;D ;D ;D

I have few typos. When my editor sends me the text back, it's almost a tsunami of commas to erase, and rarely a typo. I have no idea why, maybe it's because English is not my mother tongue, that I can see typos easily and correct them at once? I have no idea, but I kinda like it!

Of course, since I say I don't make a lot of errors, this post will be filled with them, so please don't mind me.  ;D

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I had looked at Ginger but it's a .exe which doesn't work directly on my Linux systems -- and I didn't want to test it out through Wine. Is Ginger awesome? Maybe I should do testing.
I use the plugins for Libreoffice (Linguist, Language Tool) then a final pass through grammarbase.com.

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
Thanks for that, Betsy.  I agree that the human eye is the best. Oh, and everyone should read their book once out loud and once backwards. The out loud gives you an idea of flow and also if you repeat words in a paragraph. Typos stick out.  Backwards? What I mean by that is one PARAGRAPH (not word) at a time from the end forward. That way you don't get caught up in the story and flow and typos and sentence structure stick out.  I'm not saying these replace an editor. I'm saying they are extremely valuable.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Becca Mills said:
I don't use it, but I'll check it out. Thanks for the tip. I'm always looking for help in that department.

P.S. The tagline in your signature is awesome. :)
Thanks, Becca.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MegHarris said:
Still not Ginger, here.;D I have looked at it, though, and wondered what it does that Microsoft Word does not do. Can you give me some examples of what errors it might catch that Word would miss?
It will catch trail if you mean trial, things like that. Improper English. Improper words etc...

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Caddy said:
Thanks for that, Betsy. I agree that the human eye is the best. Oh, and everyone should read their book once out loud and once backwards. The out loud gives you an idea of flow and also if you repeat words in a paragraph. Typos stick out. Backwards? What I mean by that is one PARAGRAPH (not word) at a time from the end forward. That way you don't get caught up in the story and flow and typos and sentence structure stick out. I'm not saying these replace an editor. I'm saying they are extremely valuable.
Thanks, I'll try reading backwards. See if it works.

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
Joe, that IS an awesome tagline!  I love it, too!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Caddy said:
Joe, that IS an awesome tagline! I love it, too!
Tagline? What's a tagline?

Oh you mean that sentence that's stamped on my forehead.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Caddy said:
Backwards? What I mean by that is one PARAGRAPH (not word) at a time from the end forward. That way you don't get caught up in the story and flow and typos and sentence structure stick out.
You know, I've always been confused when someone has suggested to read a WIP backwards, because yes, I assumed they meant every word. Well now I feel sheepish -_-

·
Registered
I'm working on my will to live.
653 Posts
penrefe said:
You know, I've always been confused when someone has suggested to read a WIP backwards, because yes, I assumed they meant every word. Well now I feel sheepish -_-
Careful. You'll invoke Cthulu like that.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts