Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 228 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried reading this book by Neal Stephenson and couldn't get into it. Has anyone else read books by him?

·
Registered
273 Posts
I am looking at this book to buy.  Read the sample and it was ok.  What didn't you like about the book, it will make me think twice about it.

B

·
0 Posts
Avalon3 said:
I tried reading this book by Neal Stephenson and couldn't get into it. Has anyone else read books by him?

I bought it, but was so disappointed in how badly his Snow Crash failed to live up to the hype that I've never even started it.

I tried to read Atlas Shrugged three times and never made it more than 50 pages in.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I tried to read Snow Crash.  I really, really tried.  After about 50 pages (the paper version), I finally threw in the towel.

(Also recently gave up on The Whiskey Rebels.  Hey, at least that one was free on Kindle.)

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Essensia said:
I tried to read Snow Crash. I really, really tried. After about 50 pages (the paper version), I finally threw in the towel.

(Also recently gave up on The Whiskey Rebels. Hey, at least that one was free on Kindle.)
The Whiskey Rebels sounds very good, I haven't sampled it yet though. Samples are a definite pro for the Kindle. Reviews can go either way because different people like different things. Disappointed to hear The Whiskey Rebels isn't good.

Linda

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
luvmy4brats said:
I've tried Pillars of the Earth at least 3 times and I just can't get in to it. (I got maybe 1/2 way through the first time) I think it's time to throw in the towel.
Much as I love historical novels, this one did nothing for me. I finished it because when I read it way back when, I considered it a sacrilege not to finish a book.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I tried Pillars of the Earth too and just didn't care for it.  When I was much younger I felt that I had to finish any book I started.  Being older makes you realize you don't have all the time in the world and there are so many other GOOD books out there to read.  It's a waste to keep reading something you're not enjoying.  Selection is a wonderful thing so that we can all have choices we like!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Thanks, I always feel a little guilty when I give up on a book. That's what's nice about the samples- you can get a better idea of the book before you buy. Although this is not fool-proof. Sometimes the sample seems OK, so you buy the book only to find out later that the book's a dud.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Well, I've finished all the ones that I've bought, but one that I almost didn't finish (and probably shouldn't have) was Peter F. Hamilton's Pandora's Star. Unfortunately I sort of let myself get into that trap of "maybe something'll click soon..." but it never really did. The thing has what seems like a dozen sub-plots that don't seem to have any relationship until toward the end of the book (and this is a LONG book) - and THEN it ends right in the middle of the action that *finally* started! I hate it when that happens. And I hate it even more that I was a goon and bought the second book - Judas Unchained - although it was a bit better because things were finally starting to come together. I figured I already had so much time invested, I may as well finish the bloody thing. I was also feeling money-guilt, because Pandora's Star is close to full-price, although Judas Unchained was only like five and a half bucks at the time. Oy!

In short, interesting, but very easy to put down...

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
I still haven't finished Neil Gaiman's American Gods, going on two years after I bought the hardcover(!). I'm halfway through it and I just don't care. I pick it up every so often and try to go a few pages, but it just doesn't jell for me.

Mike

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
tc said:
I am looking at this book to buy. Read the sample and it was ok. What didn't you like about the book, it will make me think twice about it.
I might give it another try. It seemed to jump around so much without enough information on the characters. Maybe I have to get into it more to enjoy it.

B

·
0 Posts
jmiked said:
I still haven’t finished Neil Gaiman's American Gods, going on two years after I bought the hardcover(!). I'm halfway through it and I just don't care. I pick it up every so often and try to go a few pages, but it just doesn’t jell for me.

Mike
This was the book that was ballyhooed so much on the forum I used to frequent that I finally gave Gaiman a chance. And while I have become a Gaiman fan, this was far and away my least favorite of his books. I barely made it through myself.

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
Bacardi Jim said:
This was the book that was ballyhooed so much on the forum I used to frequent that I finally gave Gaiman a chance. And while I have become a Gaiman fan, this was far and away my least favorite of his books. I barely made it through myself.
Yeah, I'm a fan now, myself. But it is not because of this book.

Mike

·
Registered
223 Posts
I tried to read War on the Margins by Libby Cone but couldn't get through it. Someone here on this board mentioned it after I recommended The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. Both books are about the German occupation of the British Islands between the coast of France and England during WW II. I was fascinated by this little-known (to me, anyway) piece of history.

TGLAPPS was a delight to read. WOTM was rather disjointed; I may try it again some time....or not.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Eclectic Reader said:
I tried to read War on the Margins by Libby Cone but couldn't get through it. Someone here on this board mentioned it after I recommended The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. Both books are about the German occupation of the British Islands between the coast of France and England during WW II. I was fascinated by this little-known (to me, anyway) piece of history.

TGLAPPS was a delight to read. WOTM was rather disjointed; I may try it again some time....or not.
The recommender was probably me. I haven't read either book (I have samples of both on my Kindle) but when you mentioned TGLAPPS, I thought of Libby's book. Too bad it didn't catch you!

L

·
Registered
874 Posts
I find it REALLY hard to give up on books, but right now I'm at a tipping point with Stephen King and Peter Staub (I think that was the name of the second author)'s collaboration book called "The Talisman".  I mean it had me interested in parts, but now it's kind slow going and reminds me of the Narnia series.  I just can't seem to get into it.  Right now it's kinda 'on hold' while I go on to other stuff. :)

Tris

1 - 20 of 228 Posts