Kindle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear KindleBoarders,

Doesn't Kindle seem like the ideal gift to celebrate that special graduate? Much better than expensive luggage or a fancy wristwatch!

(Oh, Mom, if you're reading this... I really did appreciate that orange suitcase I got when I graduated from high school. Thanks, Mom and Dad! I got a lot of use out of it and it was awesome!!)

We're interested in posting some stories in our blog in the next few weeks about people giving Kindles as gifts to graduates. If you are gifting a lucky graduate with a Kindle this year, or if you're considering doing so, or if you're a lucky grad who actually receives one as a gift... would you tell us about it? We'd love to hear your stories!

- Harvey

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
The Kindle didn't debut until 5-6 months after I graduated, but my parents were considering a ereader for me at the time. (first ereader: rocketbook). They were considering the Sony 500 for months as I was sending them emails and reviews about it. At the time I was going to school in another city. No car. No nearby public library that can be compared to the LV libraries I was used to. So I'd take two buses (two hours worth of travelling) one way to go to the nearest book store. My brother, who went to the same school as me, wouldn't travel across town with me (wouldn't blame him), but my parents were terrified at the idea that their 18 year old daughter (fresh out of high school) was taking the bus across the city ALONE while everyone was looking for missing college girl about my same age in the area. Parents saw that I was determined to get my books the tuesday they come out and we started to look at ereaders even more so.

This was about a month after the kindle was debuted. That christmas the big debate was SONY VS KINDLE. Neither won that holiday. Went back to school in Reno and continued to take the bus to the bookstore, but I usually my new roomy would accompany me...and my bro and his friends scared off the guy that was following me around campus. Became a Certified Medical Admin. Assistant (Medical Receptionist) and went back home. (but my current college didn't take my credits from my last school. grr.) Oprah had her 50 dollar discount and wala! I had a kindle as a high school grad/vocational school grad gift.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Don't know if this counts, but I did enable a friend to give a kindle as a graduation present to her nephew.  He was absolutely delighted and thrilled, but the on/off switch would not work, so he had to send it back.  I have not heard the final story, but I did ask her to send him over here for any assistance he might need.  She said he was not dismayed at the non-functioning kindle so I think he will be just fine, and who knows he might be over here soon.

·
Registered
406 Posts
When I bought my K2, my 18-year old niece asked if she could try the K1, so I let her take it home for a couple of weeks before I got it ready to sell. Well, no surprise, she loved it, and I've given it to her for her HS graduation. She has a full 4-year scholarship and stipend at the college to which she's going, so she has no need for most of the other things I'd have gotten her, including $$$. Since both Kindles are on my account she's able to log on and purchase books she likes (the Sisterhood books, for instance), but she also browses through the books I've bought and downloads those that interest her (she's now reading The Kite Runner). Her little sister is reading Marley and Me on both our Kindles, depending on where she is for the day. I can already see that my K2 is being eyed by the young one (almost 9), and their 21-year old brother. I guess I shouldn't plan to be selling my Kindles in the future....

·
Registered
626 Posts
Grandson asked for and got a Kindle for university graduation last June. Not only the Kindle but an Amazon account to keep it loaded (in perpetuity that is). His parents are very generous.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I bought a Kindle 2 for my niece.  She graduates this week.  I had it mailed directly to her.  She had been asking her parents for a year of a Kindle.  She is always reading.  Her parents knew that I had it sent to her.  The day it came in the mail, my brother picked it up and brought it in the house.  She did not know it was for her.  When he told her it was for her, she thought it was some book she might have ordered.  When she realized it was a Kindle she jumped up and down and clutched it to her for hours.  She immediately ordered a book and a few samples for other books.  She then called to thank me.  I've never been so happy to be able to give a gift before.  I'm sure she will use it daily.

Yogini 2

·
Registered
947 Posts
11 years after I dropped out, my wife convinced me to go back and finish my degree.  A year and a half later (this past October), she asked what I wanted for graduation, and I suggested the Kindle.  My K1 showed up the Wednesday before commencement, and I've been reading nonstop ever since--26 books so far, which is not too bad considering I have no free time.

·
Registered
139 Posts
These are great stories.  You guys are making me jealous, I have no graduates to pass a kindle along to.  Hmm.....my son is graduating from preschool, I wonder if the kindle would be inappropriate for him?  :D

·
Registered
545 Posts
I'm thinking about it for my oldest child. He graduates from high school in 2010. I know we have to get a laptop for him, which should certainly suffice, but I was hoping by next year more text books will be available. I guess we'll just wait and see. :)

EllenR

·
Registered
17 Posts
my brother is graduating this year from high school, and im deciding wether to get him the kindle 2 or the dx for when he starts college.

·
Registered
139 Posts
You guys are the best parents, aunts/uncles I could imagine!!  How lucky these grads are to have cool people like you in their families.  I love these stories too. 

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
update

My friend's nephew sent his K2 back when the on/off switch did not work, got a replacement in a day.  No fading, no issues of any kind.  He absolutely loves it,  his mother loves it as well - I see another kindle purchase here!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts