Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am going to buy a kindle 2 this friday (i made up my mind, the dx seems to big to carry around), and i remember hearing that there is no tax when you buy the kindle.. is this true or a myth?

> Kindle 2

·
Registered
446 Posts
I believe that as long as you don't live in the same state that Amazon is incorporated (or headquartered) in, you should be fine.  Now which state that is I have no idea!! :)  I should think if you have bought at Amazon before and been taxed, you will be with the Kindle as well.  However I could be completely off base!!

Glad I could be so much help!!! LOL

Rachel

·
Registered
27 Posts
It may depend on the state that you buy it from. I was charged a sales tax (I also get charged a sales tax for every book I order). This is exactly what the Amazon page showing my order says.

Items Ordered Price
1 of: Kindle 2: Amazon's New Wireless Reading Device (Latest Generation) [Electronics]
Condition: New
Sold by: Amazon.com, LLC
$359.00

- 1 item(s) Gift options: None

1 of: Amazon Kindle 2 Leather Cover [Accessory]
$29.99

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Item(s) Subtotal: $388.99
Shipping & Handling: $22.97
-----
Total Before Tax: $411.96
Sales tax: $24.72
-----
Total for this Shipment: $436.68

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well i live los angeles, ca...

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Kindle books aren't taxed in CA, but the Kindle probably is. If not, you would still legally owe use tax on it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hope you enjoy your Kindle if you do order it, I just ordered mine on saturday.  On the note of taxes, im also in CA, and no they don't charge taxes to this state.  However, as MonaSW stated your legally supposed to pay the taxes on items you were not taxed for at the end of the year, something I know most people ignore.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I live in the Los Angeles area as well and as you can see:
ems Ordered Price
1 of: Kindle 2: Amazon's New Wireless Reading Device (Latest Generation) [Electronics]
$359.00

Item(s) Subtotal: $359.00
Shipping & Handling: $18.98
-----
Total Before Tax: $377.98
Sales tax: $0.00
-----
Total for this Shipment: $377.98
-----

No sales tax, so you should be fine there.

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
New Yorkers have to pay sales tax on all things Amazon since last year when Gov. Paterson got on Amazon's case about it.  So, I did pay sales tax on my kindle.  I don't pay tax on kindle downloads though.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks everyone for the info!

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
No tax in Florida or Maryland.  No shipping or handling either because of Prime membership.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts