Kindle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed on Amazon they had quite a few different versions of this book for Kindle.

Can anyone reccomend a certain version, the price doesn't matter too much. I just want it to be the complete book with a decent format.

If anyone else has purchased this book on amazon for kindle and it was the complete book with a good format can you post a link to your version.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
not sure what version I have but I'm reading it now and the format is pretty good.  Its price was 3.20 if that helps

·
Registered
501 Posts
I've seen 2 versions that have several reviews:

The cheaper one at $3.20 includes a cover, but no TOC:

The more expensive at $7.19 includes a cover, TOC, and a preface:

I've downloaded samples of each, and except for the cheaper lacking TOC, both seem to have acceptable formatting - has anyone read more than a few pages of each to comment on quality/formatting? Anyone think that a book of 900+ pages would be more difficult to navigate through without a TOC?

TIA!

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok thanks for the suggestions. I was worried about the format issues on the cheaper version. Good to know it's pretty much the same. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
379 Posts
CS said:
Is this in the public domain yet?

I found this in a google search: http://gutenberg.net.au/ebooks02/0200161.txt

It's Gutenberg, so we know that isn't a shady site. I have a feeling the cheaper Kindle version is directly from the above source, but I don't know that for sure.
It's public domain in Australia.

Won't happen until 2031 in the United States thanks to public domain being death + 95 years instead of death + 50 years like theirs.

·
Super Moderator
67,287 Posts
r0b0d0c said:
Anyone think that a book of 900+ pages would be more difficult to navigate through without a TOC?
I don't see it as a problem for a book that is designed to be read from front to back.

Now, for some sort of reference work, yeah, big problem!

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
koolmnbv said:
Ok thanks for the suggestions. I was worried about the format issues on the cheaper version. Good to know it's pretty much the same. Thanks guys!
for the most part the formatting is pretty good

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ann in Arlington said:
I don't see it as a problem for a book that is designed to be read from front to back.

Now, for some sort of reference work, yeah, big problem!
agreed, thats what I was thinking too.

·
Registered
72 Posts
One of the first books I read a year ago on my kindle. I loved it and didn't feel like it was a 900 page book because I wasn't thinking "oh my god how many more pages" and my hands, arms and eyes weren't sore from trying to read it. It's funny, I would never buy the book at the book store as I thought it was overpriced for such an "old" book but after reading it, I would have gladly paid double. I bought the movie as well because I've never seen it. You'll enjoy it.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
madrye said:
One of the first books I read a year ago on my kindle. I loved it and didn't feel like it was a 900 page book because I wasn't thinking "oh my god how many more pages" and my hands, arms and eyes weren't sore from trying to read it.
I remember Gone With the Wind being assigned reading over the summer one year in high school. For weeks, I complained about how long the book was and joked about how my arms would be all sore from holding the book, but once I started reading it I loved it! ;D

The sequel? Not so much. Couldn't even finish it. :p

N :)

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
I read it numerous times in jr high and high school years just because I loved it. One of the few books that I loved that I'd seen the movie first. I haven't read it in a very long time though. I have a copy on my K for whenever I want to.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I read the DTB a long time ago. I was probably 12 so over 10 years ago. I remember I loved it and after that I had to see the movie.

Now I want to re-read it on kindle, I am sure it will be even better not lugging that 15lb book around  :)

·
Registered
174 Posts
This was always a favorite book of mine, although the movie wasn't a favorite.  I think I've read it twice years ago, and have purchased the cheaper Kindle for when i want to go at it again.  I love being immersed in long books.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I purchased the $3.20 version & have never missed a TOC - formatting's fine. The chapters pass-as-they-pass.

Usually considered "chick-lit" I was still curious - liked the sample - downloaded book - and, w/o a gay bone in my body, I am enjoying this book like few works of fiction in my entire life. Almost halfway thru now, I am amazed at how rich & educational it is [I'm a rabid non-fiction history reader]. It's not the over-cooked bodice-ripper I had always supposed.

I still feel the film [yeah, they made a movie of it awhile back] is a bloated & boring blur wherein events pass by far too quickly w/o sufficient context even with its 4 hr. running length. Also it's full of interesting antique words, ie. "tyro" [for a novice or beginner] and a woman as a "Circe" [a nymph, witch, enchantress or sorceress] ergo my now complete love and regard for the built-in dictionary.

The trick for me is picturing Scarlet as variously 16, 17+ and not the 26 year old Vivian Leigh. So, in short, fiddle dee dee, buy the cheaper version... Maybe I am gay, afterall?

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
After everyones suggestions I went ahead and bought the 3.20 version with the missing TOC. Thanks Kb'ers!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts