Kindle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shhhhhhhh... don't tell anyone, but this hardboiled crime/thriller fan has an occasional taste for a cute, relaxing "cozy" mystery.  Funny thing is, one of my favorite hardboiled writers, Max Allan Collins, in conjunction with his wife Barbara, writes a "cozy" series set in the world of small-town antiques dealers (guess he needs a break from his "Quarry" hit man series).  Written under the name of "Barbara Allan", the first entry in the "Trash & Treasures" mystery series is "Antiques Roadkill".  Cute young heroine (returning to her small hometown after a messy divorce) and her often-addled but still wise and perky mother are the main protagonists.  There are three or four books in the series and all are available on Kindle for about $5.00 each.  The first one is a lot a fun so far and I'm sure I'll check out the rest... ahem, alternating the entries in the series with more manly fare, of course.

·
Registered
599 Posts
We won't tell ;)

Here are the books in order:

(For some reason there are two versions of Antiques Mall in the Kindle store, but this one is $.80 cheaper)

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, Britt, for augmenting my post with the cover shots!  I'm guessing a lot of kindlers would enjoy these titles.

·
Super Moderator
67,319 Posts
Chad Winters said:
some phrases, like "Sex" and "Jessica Fletcher" just should not go together. :p
I was having that very thought as I saw the name of the thread. . . . .intriguing!

Ann

·
Registered
126 Posts
I was also intrigued by the thread title and it seem not appropriate... but oh well... will check out those books to see if what you say matches.......

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
haha, you know, I thought about that when I typed the subject of the post... the "Sex and the City" part describes our 30-year old heroine Brandy and her various hip-&-trendy attitudes, Brandy's cute friend Tina, and the sexual politics going on in their world.  The "Jessica Fletcher" description was included because of the murder plot and because the small town in the book reminds me a little of the town in "Murder, She Wrote", minus the Maine seacoast.  Though, I have to say that Brandy's mom is a bit feisty, so you might not totally escape geriatric ribaldry in the series (though so far nothing's happened along those lines).

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Joe Paul Jr. said:
Shhhhhhhh... don't tell anyone, but this hardboiled crime/thriller fan has an occasional taste for a cute, relaxing "cozy" mystery. Funny thing is, one of my favorite hardboiled writers, Max Allan Collins, in conjunction with his wife Barbara, writes a "cozy" series set in the world of small-town antiques dealers (guess he needs a break from his "Quarry" hit man series). Written under the name of "Barbara Allan", the first entry in the "Trash & Treasures" mystery series is "Antiques Roadkill". Cute young heroine (returning to her small hometown after a messy divorce) and her often-addled but still wise and perky mother are the main protagonists. There are three or four books in the series and all are available on Kindle for about $5.00 each. The first one is a lot a fun so far and I'm sure I'll check out the rest... ahem, alternating the entries in the series with more manly fare, of course.
As a fan of several "cozy" series, I'll be checking this one out! Thanks, Joe!

I'm not sure about the Sex in the City/Jessic Fletcher vibe part, but for anyone who likes cozies and antiques, I can recommend the Rei Shimura series by Sujata Massey, one of my favorite mystery series. I'm currently reading the latest and alas, the last:

(Yikes, that price can'tbe right!)

N :)

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Sorry, had to split into a second post b/c the LinkMaker image was giving my "post reply" window fits, and I couldn't read what I was typing! ???

Anyway, Shimura Trouble is the tenth and last of the series :'( and is not available on Kindle, but a few of the others in the series are. The series follows a young woman named Rei, a San Francisco native who is a self-employed antiques dealer in Japan. I've visited Japan a few times and the references to modern Japanese culture always make me smile. :)

Here are the ones available for Kindle:

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
pomlover2586 said:
Which do you all recommend first?
Pomlover, if you are asking about the Shimura series, my favorites were probably The Pearl Diver and The Samurai's Daughter. Alas, neither is available for Kindle! :mad:

Between the two Kindle selections, I liked Girl in a Box, though there is not much antiquing in that one. That being said, I would recommend starting at the beginning, with The Salaryman's Wife. (I just clicked the "I'd like to read this book on Kindle" button on Amazon.) I am currently reading Silent in the Sanctuary myself, and while the author hasn't given too much away, I realize I probably should have started with book 1.

Happy reading!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts