Kindle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm writing my first cozy mystery and chapters seem to be landing around 2,000 words. Was wondering if that's standard or maybe it should be shorter/longer?

·
Registered
35 Posts
AgnesWebb said:
I'm writing my first cozy mystery and chapters seem to be landing around 2,000 words. Was wondering if that's standard or maybe it should be shorter/longer?
2000 is perfectly fine! I've had chapters as short at 1400 and as long as 4200. I'd say my average these days is around 3000, but it depends upon what the chapter is trying to accomplish.

Wonder

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Ha. Before I opened the post my thought was about 30 chapters of 2K each (based on some research I did before writing my first cozy). Mine ended up coming out shorter than that, but I'd think you're just fine at 2K.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I don't write cozy mysteries. I'll start with that. Not sure if there's some guideline I'm unaware of regarding this genre's make-up.

But regarding chapter length, I personally don't ever concern myself with word count. Chapters are like short stories within your novel. Most involve one scene, some multiple with chapter breaks. But I've had a chapter of two pages, another of 30.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts