Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my all-time favorite books, Good Omens (sub-titled "The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch), is coming back to Kindle after an extended hiatus. You can pre-order now ($9.99 in the US) for delivery on June 28.

I ordered it maybe 2 years ago, and then for whatever reason it was pulled off the shelves, so to speak. If anyone gets this latest version, I'm curious to know if it's still in the Topaz format or not, as if not, then I'd like to get my version replaced with the new one. (I'm not a big fan of Topaz. ;) ) I wonder if Kindle CS will somehow exchange versions for free if that's the case?

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Luvmy4brats said:
I've noticed a few books that were in the Topaz version and are now not... Usually they're not updated in my library, but I've been able to call and CS has refunded the original book so that I can repurchase the new version.
Good to know. Now I just have to wait to find out if this release is still Topaz or not. :)

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Geoffrey said:
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!

My paper copy of that book is pretty much held together with love and a little remaining glue.
The authors' notes in my e-book version make several mentions of how many really battered copies of the book have been brought to book signings over the years. :)

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Yay. I have a signed hardback (just by Pterry, the elusive Neil Gaiman grows more wily by the year), but it's the kind of book you just want instant access to anytime, anywhere.

·
Registered
20,435 Posts
Let's see how much of this i can remember:

"God does not play dice with the universe, He plays an ineffable game of his own devising that can be compared to playing poker in a dark room with blank cards, for infinite stakes, against a Dealer who won't ......  and who smile ALL THE TIME."

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
scarlet said:
Let's see how much of this i can remember:

"God does not play dice with the universe, He plays an ineffable game of his own devising that can be compared to playing poker in a dark room with blank cards, for infinite stakes, against a Dealer who won't ...... and who smile ALL THE TIME."
Pretty close. From the Pratchett Quote File:

"God does not play dice with the universe: He plays an ineffable game of His own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players [i.e. everybody], to being involved in an obscure and complex variant of poker in a pitch-dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a Dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time."

On a related note:

"If you take the small view, the universe is just something small and round, like those water-filled balls which produce a miniature snowstorm when you shake them. Although, unless the ineffable plan is a lot more ineffable than it's given credit for, it does not have a large plastic snowman at the bottom."

:)

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I refer to Good Omens as the greatest book ever.

Move over Bible and Quran ;D

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
What with life getting in the way, I had totally forgotten that I'd preordered this, and then I open up my kindle app and - what's this? Something downloading? Good Omens??!

I expect today is going to be a good day. :)

·
Registered
20,435 Posts
as i went over the bridge today, turned on my wireless, by the time i was in Manhattan, I was scanning for my favorite quotes.

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
scarlet said:
as i went over the bridge today, turned on my wireless, by the time i was in Manhattan, I was scanning for my favorite quotes.
Let me know if you determine whether or not it's Topaz. :)

Enjoy!

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Usually if the font face/style does not look like it normally does for your other books. Also, if you use Calibre, it looks like it shows the format as "AZW1" while non-Topaz books are just "AZW", but I'm not sure if that's reliable or not.

In my copy, the chapter titles all have a very distinctive font face, which I don't think a non-Topaz book could have -- unless they used an image instead of text.

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, duh! I realized I could download the sample and give it a look. It appears to me it is not Topaz. :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts