Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a bunch of books on my new K3 that I am trying to get interested in, but nothing is grabbing me! I need good summer reads, but it is important to have good character development, which seems to be lacking in my current reads. I enjoy Lis Gardner, but have only listened to her through audible books. From recommendations, I have recently downloaded some chick lit: My Sister's Keeper, Little Miss Straight Lace, Honeymoon For One, Always the Baker, Never....., Seven Days From Sunday, Millies Fling, Bride's Holiday Gift, and lots of murders. I haven't tried them all yet, but nothing seems to be grabbing me. I tried Hot Tea, but seemed kind of silly. I liked Spying in High Heels (Gemma Halliday), and I enjoyed it, but was not inspired to read another. I am in a rut! I am thinking of trying Lisa Kleypas, but I usually do not like the mass marketed novels. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Well, you certainly have plenty to chose from! And...I know just how you feel. Same thing happens to me.

Do you like short stories at all? Nancy Fulda has a great little collection out--it's all sci/fi fantasy, but it's so different it might just knock you back to your comfort zone (and I mean that in a good way. I loved the stories, especially BackLash and Dead Men Don't Cry.)

http://www.amazon.com/Dead-Men-Dont-Cry-ebook/dp/B004Q9TL06/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1308246241&sr=8-2

Backlash is also sold separately. It's easily going to make my top reads of the year. I totally want to read more about those characters.

Let's see...you don't mention that you like Urban Fantasy so I won't recommend Ilona Andrews (Magic Burns) or Patricia Briggs (Mercy Thompson series) although character development is top-of-the line there.

Maybe a really good mystery with great characters...how about:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Judas-Child-ebook/dp/B003YL4AL2/ref=sr_1_3?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1308246428&sr=1-3

This is totally a thriller. TOTALLY. And one of the best books I've ever read in the mystery genre. But it's a bit on the scary side too so if you don't like thrillers this will be too much. But it's...awesome.

Okay, not so scary, but a GREAT mystery:

http://www.amazon.com/Zen-Art-Murder-Mystery-ebook/dp/B004SI9ABK/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1308246508&sr=1-1

Really good; along the lines of Grafton at her best or Victoria Lanier (which isn't on Kindle or I'd be recommending her stuff hands down.)

Maria

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you so much for the suggestions. Except for short stories and scifi, the other suggestions are spot on! I am off to download some samples.

I did manage to start a book last night that still has my attention.

This is not the Kindle link. I can't seem to find the Kindle link. I got this book for .99 cents earlier in the month, and now it is $9.99. That makes me like it even more.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Jane, I have had the great good fortune to real a whole slew of five star books in recent weeks. Here's a trio of great books to keep you entertained for the summer...(PS, I can loan these to you if you want...)

Debut novel from a new author, self-published and absolutely fabulous writing. Takes place here in New England which made it fun for me:

This was just released from one of my favorite authors. I tried to savor it but read the last 60% in one fell swoop. Set in Maine which I enjoyed:

Another debut novel, won a Lambda award. Think Toy Story for adults, with books instead of toys.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Jane, I am going to recommend 1 contemporary romance, 1 paranormal romance, and 1 Victorian romance.

99 cnt contemporary romance

$2.99 paranormal romance

99 cnt Victorian romance

·
Premium Member
63,459 Posts
A gentle reminder to our author members--self promotion (e.g., mention of your own books, except in your signature) is prohibited outside the Book Bazaar.  Also, if someone recommends your book, in turn recommending one by that person is seen as quid pro quo promotion, which is also a no-no, sorry. 

Thanks!

Betsy
KB Moderator

·
Registered
632 Posts
Since you don't seem to necessarily be after cheap or indie reads, I'm going to recommend my favorite summer reads:
-Friday's Child by Georgette Heyer
-Laddie by Gene Stratton Porter (can be substituted with Girl of the Limberlost)
-Prodigal Summer by Barbara Kingsolver

I like them because they're either funny, have lots of plants, flowers, and animals, or are just sweet and light.  I'm a pretty eclectic reader, though.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I typically search for more fast reads in the summer time. YA series are generally great for that purpose! Especially reading as an adult. If you haven't already, I'd recommend:

·
Registered
532 Posts
Don't know if a horror book would be considered a summer read, but Stephen Kings Duma Key, kind of feels like one. Maybe because it's set in the Florida keys and a lot takes place on the beach. idk But I really enjoyed it. It's not not a gory read or anything and it's LOONG but doesn't feel long as in too long. Anyway just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in. =)

Happy reading!     

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'd say you should read a classic -- either go back and reread one you liked when you were younger, or try something new and not too dense. Like Catcher in the Rye, for example (which I loved as a kid and, upon rereading recently, realized I found even more meaning).

·
Registered
356 Posts
I always like to read stuff in some beautiful, far-flung location that I connect with summer--the Greek Islands, for example.

So a favorite of mine is THIS ROUGH MAGIC, by Mary Stewart.  Set in Corfu, with beautiful description.

The only bad news is that it's not on Kindle yet.  Hopefully soon . . . .  at one point there was a compilation of Stewart's work available on Kindle, so that might be worth checking out.  One of her great gifts, when she was writing, was creating a breathtaking and believable setting.

Julia

·
Registered
229 Posts
My consistent fall back book has always been Gone With the Wind.  Abraham Lincoln; Vampire Hunter, The Accidental Demon Slayer, According to Jane , Fashback by Nevada Barr, Anything by Tom Corcoran, Miranda's Big Mistake.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Julia444 said:
I always like to read stuff in some beautiful, far-flung location that I connect with summer--the Greek Islands, for example.

So a favorite of mine is THIS ROUGH MAGIC, by Mary Stewart. Set in Corfu, with beautiful description.

The only bad news is that it's not on Kindle yet. Hopefully soon . . . . at one point there was a compilation of Stewart's work available on Kindle, so that might be worth checking out. One of her great gifts, when she was writing, was creating a breathtaking and believable setting.

Julia
This Rough Magic is AMAZING!!!!!! Truly gorgeous imagery. Too bad about not being on Kindle though...

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Jane917 said:
I have a bunch of books on my new K3 that I am trying to get interested in, but nothing is grabbing me! I need good summer reads, but it is important to have good character development, which seems to be lacking in my current reads. I enjoy Lis Gardner, but have only listened to her through audible books. From recommendations, I have recently downloaded some chick lit: My Sister's Keeper, Little Miss Straight Lace, Honeymoon For One, Always the Baker, Never....., Seven Days From Sunday, Millies Fling, Bride's Holiday Gift, and lots of murders. I haven't tried them all yet, but nothing seems to be grabbing me. I tried Hot Tea, but seemed kind of silly. I liked Spying in High Heels (Gemma Halliday), and I enjoyed it, but was not inspired to read another. I am in a rut! I am thinking of trying Lisa Kleypas, but I usually do not like the mass marketed novels. Any suggestions?
Definitely go for Lisa Kleypas. She's one of the few authors I actually re-read on a regular basis. I'd recommend starting with her Hathaway series.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I recommend "A Game of Thrones" by George R. R. Martin.  Although it is nominally in the fantasy genre, it has strong appeal even for a more mainstream reader like me.  The action of the novel centres on the seat of power in a place called the Seven Kingdoms--the Iron Throne, the symbol of the king's authority.  The novel is complex, with dozens of plot threads, richly-layered characters, and some quite thought-provoking ideas.  You can make it light reading, or you can dig as deep as you like into its deep meaning.  The novel enjoys the advantage of having become the subject of a faithfully-rendered television series ("Game of Thrones"), which just ended its first season on HBO.

·
Registered
958 Posts
If you like anything in the YA area, I highly recommend Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr. The link below is a bit on the expensive side at the moment (and paperback is cheaper :-\), but this version has bonus material. A while ago, the original version was free, I think. Anyhow, totally worth the read.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I read a review of Maine by J. Courtney Sullivan (but haven't read it yet myself, so this is not completely a recommendation) and it sounded as if it would be a good summer read. At $12.99 on kindle it's a bit expensive, though. Still, the hardcover is 400 pages, so it's a good, long read.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts