Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Twitter has hit the iceberg.

A very sad time for authors, like me, who enjoy the banter of Twitter. I found that by using Twitter actively, helped by profile as an author and gave me a free outreach without advertising and just by being my silly and rebellious self.

It was super cool to have a response "liked" by Mark Hamill. Like beyond super cool.

Mark

· Registered
648 Posts
I had Christopher Moore reply to a tweet, and I literally fell out of my chair. Was so excited I pushed it away from my desk and promptly landed on my butt. Not my finest moment, but definitely my proudest. (The best part about it was I was referencing a Chuck Tingle title, you know, one of those russian doll titles, and he name-checked Tingle. Not sure what shocked me more, that he replied to my tweet or that he got my tweet referenced Chuck Tingle...) Haven't fully deleted my account yet, but pretty close.

· Registered
13,736 Posts
Premature panicmongering.

Same as when the KB was reportedly "imploding". People left for other forums (many of them no longer active) and Facebook groups. Most of those people weren't actually terribly active here anymore anyway. They just came here to annoyingly and loudly and anonymously proclaim they were leaving (who cares, mate? Life changes, your interests change, that's normal).

And now we're all still here. Those who are not would have moved on anyway. Because that's life.

As for the man-baby in charge of Twitter, he will either stop self-destructing, or someone will stop him, or he'll bring the site to its knees, get sick of it and sell it again. Or he'll muddle on. Whatever. Something will shake out.

I'm not going anywhere. I use Twitter mainly as news aggregator, and I'll continue to use it that way, and I can't see the news services go anywhere either.

No need to sign up for a clunky and confusing elephant site that looks suspiciously like your 1990s Discord server.

· Registered
2,540 Posts
I haven't been following the Twitter situation closely, as I only have a throwaway account there, and I don't use it except to monitor some things happening in the Ukraine War.

But I agree with Patty Jansen here, any panic is premature. People were saying FB was finished with the Congressional hearing last year (the female whistleblower' documents revelation), yet FB is still very much alive and reasonably well. They haven't disappeared, haven't been broken up, Congress hasn't disbanded them, etc. Any issues they are having are economy-related, and the economy is affecting a LOT of businesses and internet media.

A massive medium with almost 400 million users doesn't just disappear in a couple weeks, unless deplatformed, and the last one I remember that was de-platformed didn't have 400 million users (it had closer to 100K).

I'd say give it a couple months before determining that Twitter is going away.

Is it possible? Could be. Look at MySpace. Or any other social medium that's faded. But right now I think it's too early to write it off.

· Registered
29 Posts
I've never been on Twitter so I am not sad at the state it finds itself in, I know a lot of my friends are though as they lived on it. But I honestly don't think Twitter is going anywhere... it will be on a downturn and lose some accounts here and there but 'm sure it'll bounce back, with or without Musk.

· Administrator
10,420 Posts
Premature panicmongering.

Same as when the KB was reportedly "imploding". People left for other forums (many of them no longer active) and Facebook groups. Most of those people weren't actually terribly active here anymore anyway. They just came here to annoyingly and loudly and anonymously proclaim they were leaving (who cares, mate? Life changes, your interests change, that's normal).

And now we're all still here. Those who are not would have moved on anyway. Because that's life.
The idea of sitting tight and seeing what happens has a lot to recommend it, but if Twitter experiences the kind of downsizing we have ... yikes. KB has maybe one-thousandth the traffic it used to have? Probably less. And unlike small-potatoes us, Twitter is the fourth most visited site on the internet. It's geopolitically significant. I can sort of see why people are stunned and worried.

Reactions: Gessert Books

· Registered
6,373 Posts
Why Pick on twitter? Amazon is downsizing by 10,000, or so, starting in the kindle device and books division. I would have thought that was of more interest. META, or Facebok as we know it, is doing the same by downsizing. TikTok is estimating ad revenue decreasing from12 billion to 10 billion. Amazon is a different situation, in large part, considering they increased the workforce to meet the extra demand during Covid. but most internet media companies must downsize due to lower ad revenue with the world economy in the dodah.

Twitter won't collapse as long as the servers continue to operate and they can service bank debt. Musk will make mistakes along the way as he did with the $8 blue tick subscription which he had to halt because of scammers taking advantage, but it will return to replace some ad revenue losses.

The only thing that will suffer will be future development until staffing settles. So him wanting to increase the numbers of characters in tweets will have to wait for now. Those staff who have left to enjoy three-month's salary, I wish them all the luck in the world in finding new jobs with all the other tech based companies cutting back. Clearly a culture change in the workplace was needed, so every credit for Musk in getting to grips with it, or it would have gone under with staff costs losing it 4 million per day.

If anyone can rescue twitter, Musk can. All I know is that I've gained around 100 followers this week and have good interaction on there, so it doesn't feel like it's dying, though some have concern..

Twitter handle @DeclanConner

Edit: Kindlboards lack of activity is a whole different ball game to what it was at its inception. In those days, eBooks were new. Authors had little information of how to go about it, from covers to formatting and marketing etc. Now the Internet is awash with How To on self-publishing, and other than updates, all the questions have been done to death on here.

· Registered
Writing the next books in my Martin Billings series.
842 Posts
Decon, it's the layoffs of tech people and the server problems and so on, that are the issue. I don't hear anyone picking on Twitter although some are questioning whether it will survive.
I suspect it will simply because of it's value. What form? Who knows?

And a lot of people have lost followers in the last few days. That worries them.
I don't even know how many I have. I've never cared.

· Registered
6,373 Posts
Decon, it's the layoffs of tech people and the server problems and so on, that are the issue. I don't hear anyone picking on Twitter although some are questioning whether it will survive.
I suspect it will simply because of it's value. What form? Who knows?

And a lot of people have lost followers in the last few days. That worries them.
I don't even know how many I have. I've never cared.
I've just checked the reports on twitter outages and they suffered the worst outage in July this year which was worldwide before Musk took over. Only 13% of reports this last 24hrs are server related which doesn't cover every server worldwide. The rest are either app problems or webs outside their control.

Like I said, I've picked up 100 followers this week through interacting. Every now and then, I have a clear out of those I follow who don't follow me, and I know others who do the same. It doesn't have to be because people are leaving in droves. Thirteen million have just voted this last 24 hrs on a poll for if they think he should allow Trump back, so plenty of activity there.

The staff problem he can fix from other tech companies downsizing. It's the loss of ad revenue that's the problem as it is for all those types of tech media companies that will determine if it survives or not....

· Registered
2,540 Posts
A lot of the chatter I hear on social media about Twitter seems political. People clearly don't like Musk, or don't like the new apparent direction he may allow it to go for what appear to be political reasons.

But Twitter is a whole bunch of different social media, actually. Kind of like FB. There's the FB I see -- my own news feed, which features my own hobbies and interests, and then there's the FB someone else probably sees -- for example, the author and indie publishing related FB pages I never see, but others here talk about frequently. FB is a conglomerate. Twitter is similar.

There's the Ukraine War Twitter threads I see, but there's another thousand or more popular Twitter threads that deal with other issues and subjects that I don't see. It's not just one monolithic thread or hashtag that everyone sees. A few years ago when there were discussions here about "cancel culture", people were talking about Twitter threads and hashtags that I still haven't seen or followed. Is all of that going to disappear? I have trouble believing that.

But, I suppose, anything is possible. But probable? That's the question.

· Registered
6,373 Posts
A lot of the chatter I hear on social media about Twitter seems political. People clearly don't like Musk, or don't like the new apparent direction he may allow it to go for what appear to be political reasons.

But Twitter is a whole bunch of different social media, actually. Kind of like FB. There's the FB I see -- my own news feed, which features my own hobbies and interests, and then there's the FB someone else probably sees -- for example, the author and indie publishing related FB pages I never see, but others here talk about frequently. FB is a conglomerate. Twitter is similar.

There's the Ukraine War Twitter threads I see, but there's another thousand or more popular Twitter threads that deal with other issues and subjects that I don't see. It's not just one monolithic thread or hashtag that everyone sees. A few years ago when there were discussions here about "cancel culture", people were talking about Twitter threads and hashtags that I still haven't seen or followed. Is all of that going to disappear? I have trouble believing that.

But, I suppose, anything is possible. But probable? That's the question.
I rarely see political tweets or anti Musk tweets. I do see some fearing it will close and looking for other venues if it does close. I use #writerscommunity #authorsoftwitter #authors, and sometimes. #amquerying #literary agents #post-apocalyptic #dystopian #amreading fiction, for my tweets, depending on the subject of the tweet, but there are more. That filters through to what I see in tweets posted. If someone responds to answer you and makes your tweet political, or contentious in some way, you can remove yourself from replies and let them get on with it to squabble among themselves, and block the instigator. .

Yes, I've read there are activists, and there is cancel culture, but I haven't come across it. I only know of it because of reading the news, not using twitter, or used as click bate in Internet articles.

I always check people who follow me before following back to make sure our interests are similar, especially since the blue-tag fiasco as many scammers took advantage of that to get a blue tag this month. I let down my guard seeing the blue tags and no sooner than they followed me and I followed back that they tried to talk to me in chat and go to chat off twitter. Always young women with ample cleavages. lol. Easy to block.

I guess you could always tweet something controversial, or reply to something controversial, and hashtag it to get to a wider audience, but then you'd get what you deserved in response.

The best censor is yourself.

Twitter handle @DeclanConner

· Registered
842 Posts
I've just checked the reports on twitter outages and they suffered the worst outage in July this year which was worldwide before Musk took over. Only 13% of reports this last 24hrs are server related which doesn't cover every server worldwide. The rest are either app problems or webs outside their control.

Like I said, I've picked up 100 followers this week through interacting. Every now and then, I have a clear out of those I follow who don't follow me, and I know others who do the same. It doesn't have to be because people are leaving in droves. Thirteen million have just voted this last 24 hrs on a poll for if they think he should allow Trump back, so plenty of activity there.

The staff problem he can fix from other tech companies downsizing. It's the loss of ad revenue that's the problem as it is for all those types of tech media companies that will determine if it survives or not....
He won't recruit easily it he requires new hires to sign the loyalty oath that caused many to resign. Not good people.
And whatever source you have for service seems to report rather different information than people inside the company are reporting to the media. Of course, they are talking slowdowns and problems, not outages, which would rate differently.

Several people who followed me have left Twitter, not for political reasons, but because of the system screwing up, of their followers jumping up one day then disappearing the next.

Your experience is different but not conclusive any more than what I'm hearing. I'm neutral on it although since Musk decided that a flash poll in favor of reinstating Trump constitutes vox populi (I, for one, didn't know about the poll until he announced the results) I'm afraid for its future. Not the politics, but the management method.

· Administrator
10,420 Posts
Let's keep entirely clear of the Trump-on-Twitter issue, folks.

· Registered
2,540 Posts
My main beef with Twitter is it doesn't really work logically, and never really has. It's like throwing a bunch of things at the wall, and hoping they stick. For someone who has written for a living before, it makes it difficult to actually communicate with people there. It makes FB seem logically operative. Trying to follow a thread on Twitter is a headache, as you can get derailed to other threads without realizing it, and then you have to waste a load of time navigating back to wherever you were to begin with. So I don't go there often. There are one or two Twitter accounts that i follow, but i'm done trying to follow the actual comment threads beneath their postings. Wastes too much of my time.

· Registered
842 Posts
Let's keep entirely clear of the Trump-on-Twitter issue, folks.
I hope it was clear that I was referring ONLY to Musk making decisions via a snap poll. I'm not taking a political stance, but one on his management style (or lack thereof) and what that means for twitter.

· Administrator
10,420 Posts
I hope it was clear that I was referring ONLY to Musk making decisions via a snap poll. I'm not taking a political stance, but one on his management style (or lack thereof) and what that means for twitter.
Yes, that's why I did not remove your post. But any mention of a political figure can be enough to prompt discussion. Thus my post.

· Registered
84 Posts
Companies are being sent screenshots of their ads sitting on top of posts filled with hate speech, so I'm not surprised to see more fleeing. As for me, Twitter was useful when my health was worse and I wanted to stay in contact with humanity. My health is still crap, but I'm managing to make more money this year and decided to concentrate more on work. People aren't as appealing to me as they used to be anyway so shrug.

· Registered
6,373 Posts
How do you find this hate speech? Not seen any in my feed since I became more active this month.

Reactions: fos
1 - 20 of 35 Posts