Kindle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you're part of the the goodreads author program (which I'm sure a lot of us are), you have the option of starting an author Q&A group.  Basically, a goodreads group that give people a chance to ask about your work.

I'm kind of torn here.  It sounds like a good idea in concept.  I've seen how goodreads groups can spread virally around there.  But at the same time, it seems a little pretentious to start one if you don't have any sort of fancy "NY Times Bestseller" type title to throw around.

Has anyone started one of these types of groups?  Any opinions?  Any success?  How was it received?

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Pretentious for me, is what I meant.   Like it makes sense to me for James Patterson to have one.  He's a public figure of sorts.  But if the author is not a public figure, does that come across as strange?

Or is it more along the lines of people will think you know what you're doing if you act like it?

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
I'd feel uncomfortable about starting one, I know a couple of authors who have though. I don't want to name names, maybe they'll joi in the thread and give you some answers.  ;)

·
Registered
334 Posts
Same as you. Would be great to start one, in theory, but ... I don't feel as if I have a big enough presence on Goodreads to start one. Which negates the whole point of starting one to maybe get the attention of more readers. Vicious cycle ... or maybe I just need to grow a pair (as they say).

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Miss_Fletcher said:
Same as you. Would be great to start one, in theory, but ... I don't feel as if I have a big enough presence on Goodreads to start one. Which negates the whole point of starting one to maybe get the attention of more readers. Vicious cycle ... or maybe I just need to grow a pair (as they say).
I dunno... I mean, if you made the group fun you could maybe attract people slowly. But at the same time, it's just a group about YOU. So that could turn off some folks....

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is actually kind of interesting in that it's leading to a different sub-question:

At what point does an author go from "unknown" to "known"?

You know? A unknown author making a group about him/herself would be accused of self-promotion. But a known author making a group would be praised for making a point of reaching out to his/her readers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts