Kindle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am constantly shocked at how bad the GR search engine is. If they really are planning on selling books, they better make it so you can find them.

This week alone things I couldn't find:

Jaci Barton instead of Jaci Burton
The Admiral's Bride without the apostrophe

This has me worried, so I was wondering (and I did the librarian manual search, but.... see above *rolls eyes*)

QUESTION
Is there away to create search helps so if people search for Catie Quinn (no I before the T) or Its in His Kiss (no apostrophe) they find me??

·
Registered
5,123 Posts
They're planning to sell books?

I'm assuming that their engine just doesn't take misspellings into account. It ain't Google.

Now if I could only change my cover there....

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oddly, the search engine does often give me a "Did you mean...." when I do a search, even when it finds the right thing.  Often it asks me if I was looking for something that makes no sense.

That's why I'm wondering if you can build in additional search criteria, like without the apostrophe. I mean, this is so low level it seems absurd.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I'm a Goodreads librarian... I'll try to answer to the best of my knowledge, but asking a super-admin from the Librarians group may help.

Goodreads only refers people to other websites that do sell the books.  They don't actually sell books there themselves.  They probably make their money through ads.

As far as the search and sort for your book.  I would suggest editing only one of your editions to not include the apostrophe (not the title, but the sort-by title).  That way at least one edition will show up when it's being searched for.

As far as your name, people will just have to spell it right in order to find you.

@Quiss - tell me what cover you need changed and I'd be glad to do it.  :)

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Each of my books only has one edition.

If I understand correctly, changing the search by was only for getting rid of the articles.

Using the Brockman example from the first post:

The title is THE ADMIRAL'S BRIDE which you can find bc it's the title.
The search by you enter  ADMIRAL'S BRIDE, THE

So, if you took the apostrophe out of that the only two options you'd be able to find the book with are:

THE ADMIRAL'S BRIDE or ADMIRALS BRIDE *not* THE ADMIRAL'S BRIDE or ADMIRAL'S BRIDE. Correct?

I know you're trying to help and have zero to do with this, but it's very limiting. Don't forget, not all readers have the patience or search abilities to think that through.

Also, at this point, this search is way behind. This isn't a complicated google search. This is the basics. Just the fact that it doesn't auto ignore the articles seems odd to me.

THANKS!

·
Registered
89 Posts
You are correct.  If your book only has one edition, then you don't want to change the sort-by title.

I'm going to do a little digging on this subject.  There may be a way to add some additional meta data to each listing, but I don't want to be incorrect.  I'll post what I find out and let you know.

And, you're welcome!  :)

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If the answer is easy to find I'd LOVE to know. If not, no worries. I was really hoping someone was going to be like, "Oh, that Caitie Quinn has missed the boat on how to list her book.... and it's sooooo simple!" lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts