Kindle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
I don't know of any all-emcompassing post, but what I've gathered from having just upgraded to an author account is:

--it’s not a place to visit group forums to promote your books
-you can do giveaways, but only for hard copies
-setting up an author account let’s you set up a profile page, where you can add your book/link, as well as a picture, bio, website info etc.
-you’re encouraged to participate as a “reader” in the various group discussions
-you can pay for advertising for your book, but I’m not sure if that’s worked for anyone---I don't think I will try that avenue until I hear something positive

In general, it seems like it’s good to have an author page if you’re also going to update your bookshelf with all the books you’ve read, so that you’ll feel more inclined to participate in reader discussions/make some goodreads “friends.” From there, people who are curious and click on your avatar in group discussions will be directed to your Author Profile page. If you draw some interest from you book bio and description, maybe you can get a sale.

And so it seems...it's not really a place to “sell” your book directly...at least that’s my impression.

On the LibraryThing website, you can also have an author page and do ebook giveways for your title, which I’m currently trying out...

Hope that helps somewhat, and maybe someone will have some more all-encompassing info, good luck! :)

·
Registered
11,698 Posts
I've been there for a while on and off and I'm sure I'm not making the most of it. I just joined some groups that I thought would be interesting/helpful.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Romi, that seemed like an EXCELLENT summary of Goodreads. With the possible exception that you didn't mention all the junk emails you'll get from Goodreads after joining.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Romi said:
I don't know of any all-emcompassing post, but what I've gathered from having just upgraded to an author account is:

--it's not a place to visit group forums to promote your books
-you can do giveaways, but only for hard copies
-setting up an author account let's you set up a profile page, where you can add your book/link, as well as a picture, bio, website info etc.
-you're encouraged to participate as a "reader" in the various group discussions
-you can pay for advertising for your book, but I'm not sure if that's worked for anyone---I don't think I will try that avenue until I hear something positive

In general, it seems like it's good to have an author page if you're also going to update your bookshelf with all the books you've read, so that you'll feel more inclined to participate in reader discussions/make some goodreads "friends." From there, people who are curious and click on your avatar in group discussions will be directed to your Author Profile page. If you draw some interest from you book bio and description, maybe you can get a sale.

And so it seems...it's not really a place to "sell" your book directly...at least that's my impression.

On the LibraryThing website, you can also have an author page and do ebook giveways for your title, which I'm currently trying out...

Hope that helps somewhat, and maybe someone will have some more all-encompassing info, good luck! :)
Thanks so much, Romi. That's pretty much what I thought Goodreads was about, but I'm so tech challenged that I assumed I was missing the Big Boat. I wish I had time to hang out and talk about books I've read, but I don't. Well, crappola!

Is LibraryThing better?

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Lynda

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jan Hurst-Nicholson said:
I've been there for a while on and off and I'm sure I'm not making the most of it. I just joined some groups that I thought would be interesting/helpful.
Thanks, Jan. Maybe I should check into joining some of the groups, but I probably still wouldn't get over there often!

Lynda

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
J.R.Mooneyham said:
Romi, that seemed like an EXCELLENT summary of Goodreads. With the possible exception that you didn't mention all the junk emails you'll get from Goodreads after joining.
J.R.: Thanks for the heads-up about the junk emails. Yikes.

Lynda

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
Try Shelfari too. Goodreads is a minefield to me too.

I've also joined some groups, can't say if I've sold many books that way though. But I think promo is a no no on there! lol

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mel Comley said:
Try Shelfari too. Goodreads is a minefield to me too.

I've also joined some groups, can't say if I've sold many books that way though. But I think promo is a no no on there! lol
Thanks, Mel! I'd forgotten about Shelfari. Another place I know nothing about. Whew! All this promo is exhausting.

Lynda

·
Registered
571 Posts
I'm on Goodreads, but I find it hard to navigate or find anything. Someone here on KB mentioned a poll over there, and I couldn't find it.  ???
I searched out discussions I thought would be interesting, but they were all months old with no new posts...
I think you need to have a lot of "friends" on there, and I don't, really... so.
It's a dilemma. Who has time to keep up with all the different places? Not me.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Katy said:
I'm on Goodreads, but I find it hard to navigate or find anything. Someone here on KB mentioned a poll over there, and I couldn't find it. ???
I searched out discussions I thought would be interesting, but they were all months old with no new posts...
I think you need to have a lot of "friends" on there, and I don't, really... so.
It's a dilemma. Who has time to keep up with all the different places? Not me.
I'm with you, Katy. I don't know how anyone keeps up with everything we have to do for promo. It really can be such a huge time suck (at least for me). Thanks!

Lynda

·
Registered
380 Posts
I've tried the giveaways on both Goodreads and LibraryThing and they are both excellent but for different reasons.  On Goodreads, there is one book as the prize and many people try to win it.  On LibraryThing, there are a stated number of copies available which the author decides.  The author can also ask specifically for readers who will write reviews. 

Another thing I really like on Goodreads is how on your author page, it indicates how many members are reading your book at that particular time. 

Patricia

·
Registered
627 Posts
lyndahilburn said:
Thanks so much, Romi. That's pretty much what I thought Goodreads was about, but I'm so tech challenged that I assumed I was missing the Big Boat. I wish I had time to hang out and talk about books I've read, but I don't. Well, crappola!

Is LibraryThing better?

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Lynda
What I like about LibraryThing is I can specify how many ebooks I want to give away and request reviews. I may very well not get any reviews, but I'll try it out and let you know how it goes ;)

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
par2323 said:
I've tried the giveaways on both Goodreads and LibraryThing and they are both excellent but for different reasons. On Goodreads, there is one book as the prize and many people try to win it. On LibraryThing, there are a stated number of copies available which the author decides. The author can also ask specifically for readers who will write reviews.

Another thing I really like on Goodreads is how on your author page, it indicates how many members are reading your book at that particular time.

Patricia
Thanks, Patricia. That's helpful. I'll look into giveaways at both places.

Lynda

1 - 17 of 17 Posts