Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to give away three hardcover copies of Eon's Door on Goodreads, as a way to generate some interest leading up to The Sift Book Review's review of the book that will be posted on the site in early September (I hope it's good!). Just wondering if anyone has offered a giveaway on Goodreads, and if gave them a boost.

·
Registered
11,698 Posts
J.G. McKenney said:
I'm going to give away three hardcover copies of Eon's Door on Goodreads, as a way to generate some interest leading up to The Sift Book Review's review of the book that will be posted on the site in early September (I hope it's good!). Just wondering if anyone has offered a giveaway on Goodreads, and if gave them a boost.
I've done two. I gave away 10 copies of Something to Read on the Plane and got 4 reviews, and I gave away 5 copies of Leon Chameleon PI and the case of the kidnapped mouse and got 3 reviews. I can't say that I got a huge number of sales, but I had quite a lot of entries, so it did make the book visible.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Jan's experience sounds like the norm -- Can add that for 3 copies from an indie publisher, you may see several hundred to almost 1,000 people sign up for the giveaway.

But you won't necessarily see three reviews from the recipients -- nor experience tremendous sales. The giveaway appears mostly to provide the benefit of exposure which otherwise only the Big House publishers can buy on reader sites like Goodreads but indies usually cannot afford.

Richard Nash, founder of Soft Skull Press, recently did a thoughtful blog on the urgent need for a sorting mechanism in the marketplace. As more bookstores close, the flood of material out there for readers hasn't abated, in fact it is increasing. Readers don't need more choices -- they need guidance. IMO, the major sites including this one are doing a miserable job of helping readers find quality reading material. Endless rotating promotional threads and "giveaway" copies don't provide any useful context for readers.
( *ducks to avoid the tossed fruit and eggs*)

·
Registered
571 Posts
I've done two giveaways on Goodreads, with 2 copies each time.
The first one had 996 people sign up, the second had 941. The exposure is great.
200 people have added it to their TBR pile. I saw four people who listed it as "currently reading." One person saw it in the giveaway, read the blurb, and bought it immediately. She read it, reviewed it, and produced what was for me a significant jump in sales because of the people on her friend list that read the review and bought the book based on her recommendation. (I've been in contact with her since.)
The day after each giveaway I've had a small spike in sales, I'm assuming from people who didn't win and decided to buy it.
I feel it has def been worth the cost of the books and postage.
In fact, I think I'll do another! I'm sure there are always new people looking at the giveaways.  :)

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds good! I'm looking forward to seeing how many readers are interested in winning the book. The potential exposure is definitely worth the investment. Just waiting to have the giveaway approved.

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
I had one previously when I gave away 10 copies of Freedom's Sword and am having one now giving away 5 copies of A Kingdom's Cost. How many sales is impossible to say but it certainly increased visibility. More than 900 entered the Freedom's Sword giveaway and a lot (I didn't count how many but it was noticeable) added it to their TBR. I think most of those don't buy without more 'reminders' and I think I'm going to start advertising on Goodreads as well.

G

·
I did two for Fire Season (one for three ARCs, one for six paperbacks). The ARC one got reviews, but the paperback giveaway got one review (I think). It got a lot of entries and TBRs but no real effect on sales.

I was wondering about doing another one now, since Fire Season is now also on Kindle, and see if having the ebook option increases people going from TBR to purchase.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I did three with my first novel, one with my short stories, and one with my new novel.

Weird thing is, out of all of those, the people would say they LOVED the book and then give it two stars. Since some people are lazy, they see 2 stars and say, boy this must stink.  And that's not what the reviewer was really saying.  Very frustrating.

Best advantage is having people add the book to their "to be read" folder.

I have tried goodreads ads, but that is getting me NOWHERE.

e

·
Registered
332 Posts
Did it once and won't repeat. Almost a thousand signed up for two copies ... you'd figure surely a few sales would result but didn't.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I keep at least one running at all times for my books. It's easy exposure and it reaches an audience that doesn't have/doesn't want an eReader.

Here's my current one, for my novel Fire: Elements of The Undead.

·
Registered
181 Posts
BRONZEAGE said:
Jan's experience sounds like the norm -- Can add that for 3 copies from an indie publisher, you may see several hundred to almost 1,000 people sign up for the giveaway.

But you won't necessarily see three reviews from the recipients -- nor experience tremendous sales. The giveaway appears mostly to provide the benefit of exposure which otherwise only the Big House publishers can buy on reader sites like Goodreads but indies usually cannot afford.
This is my experience as well. It's exposure but that's about it. I do recommend it though.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's up to you to choose how long the giveaway will be open for interested readers, and what countries are eligible. I offered my hardcover giveaway to readers in Canada and the US (the shipping costs will should be reasonable for both). You provide the basic information about the book and an email address so Goodreads can send you a verification message. The giveaway has to be approved by Goodreads; that's what I'm waiting for now.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I've had nice success with the Goodreads giveaways. I ran for 3 wks and gave away 5 paperbacks just in U.S. The setup screen is very straight forward and gives you the opportunity to set everything as you wish, number of copies, length of giveaway, countries, etc. Very simple. Then Goodreads holds it about 24 hrs for review, then it goes live. I had over 1000 people sign up to win. Very nice!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts