Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Howdy!  Congratulations on winning my book!  Below is my signature, and a lock of hair, and hopefully in fifty years you may have something very special indeed in your hands.  Toodles!"

Okay, probably not going to write that, so what are some recommendations?  I heard people dig having the author signature in the book they receive, so that's cool.  My handwriting sucks, and it'll feel odd signing my name as right now it's really only good for getting myself into debt (or in trouble).  I'd like to politely recommend a review on Amazon and/or Goodreads, regardless of what they thought of the story, and thank them for their interest.  Or should I leave out the review recommendation?

·
Registered
117 Posts
I wrote nothing -- sent them direct from CreateSpace.  I've just read so much about readers feeling they're being stalked by indies, blah blah, that I don't want to bother.  Also, the giveaway "rules" as I recall seem pointed about not having contact with the winners. "No Touching!" as the prison guard told George Bluth. 

Actually I think in my next giveaway I'm going to emphasize, in my giveaway announcement, that I shall not contact the winners; and that even if I pass them in the hallway I will hug my binders tightly to my chest, stare at the tops of the lockers, and completely ignore them, as if nothing ever happened between us.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I wrote the same thing I always write in my signed books. A line from the book written in Japanese, followed by a brief message (in this case "Congratulations!" or something to that effect) and then my name. "Hope you enjoy" and other stock phrases are fine too.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I'm with Eric.  Books go straight from Createspace.  I live in Japan so it's impractical to order copies and then sent them worldwide.

·
Registered
327 Posts
As someone who has won upwards of 30 books on goodreads, I can say it varies.

some write 'To 'blah', Enjoy! from 'blah".
some just autograph it.
some autograph the book and send you a little letter or notelet card saying they hope you enjoy it and hope you will be kind enough to leave a review on this this and that site.

The last one was my particular favourite to receive!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Andrea Harding said:
As someone who has won upwards of 30 books on goodreads, I can say it varies.

some write 'To 'blah', Enjoy! from 'blah".
some just autograph it.
some autograph the book and send you a little letter or notelet card saying they hope you enjoy it and hope you will be kind enough to leave a review on this this and that site.

The last one was my particular favourite to receive!
I send direct from Create Space too. Since you have won so many, do you have a preference about signed, personal note, direct from publisher?

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
For my first giveaway I contacted the 2 winners and asked if they wanted a specific dedication. One agreed - the other said whatever I wrote would make him happy. So I just said something the lines of thanks for entering & hope you enjoy it. For my second giveaway (ending soon) I'm shipping shipping direct from CS since I'm not in the states to sign them.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I haven't won any books from GR, but I've won some from other giveaways. I love having a personalized message from the author, even if it's just something simple like "To Katja, From Author".

Eric Timar said:
I wrote nothing -- sent them direct from CreateSpace. I've just read so much about readers feeling they're being stalked by indies, blah blah, that I don't want to bother.
That's... weird. I've never experienced that from indie authors. Then again, maybe I'm the one stalking them, so they keep their distance, just in case. :p

·
Registered
327 Posts
nightfire said:
I send direct from Create Space too. Since you have won so many, do you have a preference about signed, personal note, direct from publisher?
Signed and direct from author is definitely my favourite!
It's that personal touch that makes me more inclined to make a special effort to read and review quickly as they've put a bit of effort in too, not just the price of a book.

·
Registered
327 Posts
DDark said:
Just say you hope they enjoy the book. Most of the autographs I've been signing are for readers who follow me, so I know them a little bit and can personalize. Be wary of putting their name in the book since I don't know that everyone on Goodreads uses their real name.

I had one reader who wanted me to sign it from my character. :D

Almost every book I autograph I include a handwritten notecard. I wrap the book up as pretty as I can in tissue paper with a "thank you" seal. Put yourself in their shoes receiving a book from an author you haven't read. What would make it cool and have you check out that person on Facebook or their blog? I'm also doing a Goodreads giveaway ending soon (already have over 1000 entered) so I'll probably throw in some bookmarks and maybe a candy bar because after all, they won! It should feel like a prize.
I want to win your book!That's an awesome way to look at it. It'd certainly make me look you up and at least buy another book if I enjoyed it.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
I saw once in Suzanne Collin's Hunger Games that she variations of "let the games begin" and "may the odds be ever in your favor" ... so, I have sort of followed that:

For TMT it was always: Dear NAME, May you have many incredible milestones.  Ashley MP

For INT it was always: Dear NAME, Wishing you a happily ever after.  Ashley MP

·
Administrator
10,117 Posts
DDark said:
I may spend more than I should. I buy white textured notecards (or a new set I have with an embossed D) with envelopes and fancy seals. I write a personal message inside and date it. It's a giveaway, and it should feel special. I won a book from a big author and the book was stuffed in an envelope. :/ I also autograph the bookmarks. :)
They may not like your book, but leave a positive impression on them.
That's awesome. I can see why you get frying pans in the mail, DDark. ;)

·
Registered
465 Posts
I've written "there's nothing finer than being in your diner" and "instructions: turn page. repeat 270 times".

Then I sign it. Take that, reader!

I have four to do in May, so I have time to think.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Some good ideas here...I'd definitely like to do something more than a signature.  If I won a book, I'd be impressed if the author added an extra 'something', even if it was the wrapping.  I'm in customer service, and little things can have a big impact on someone.  If I had planned properly, I would have had my friend do some sketch art of some of the scenes from the story and slipped them into each book.

I guess you could get as creative as you wanted to with this.  What would you think if the author left a web address to a free short story that complemented the book you just received?  I have enough back-story material that I could write a few short stories about...hmm...

·
Registered
398 Posts
One time I won a giveaway and the author sent the book with a tee shirt screen printed with the book's title. I thought that was cool but never wore it out of the house, so. 

Agree with everyone. I'd just sign it, maybe with "Enjoy!" and leave it at that.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts