Kindle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I the only one who goodreads sometimes doesn't update when I finish reading a book? I keep being worried it is missing a bunch because it sometimes misses marking books finished.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
67,346 Posts
I haven't noticed a problem . . . but I always give a star rating before I leave. Wonder if that's the difference?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
100 Posts
Not sure what you're referring to exactly, but the GR database does tend to be slow to update itself.  You might be waiting a day or two for changes to be properly visible.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
63,461 Posts
Tuttle said:
Am I the only one who goodreads sometimes doesn't update when I finish reading a book? I keep being worried it is missing a bunch because it sometimes misses marking books finished.
Are you talking about when you use your Kindle to mark finished? I've had it happen sometimes. I do try to check it using another device. Can't remember if there's been any consistency over whether I've given it a star rating or not--though I usually do give it a star rating, as far as I know.

Betsy
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
67,346 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:
Are you talking about when you use your Kindle to mark finished? I've had it happen sometimes. I do try to check it using another device. Can't remember if there's been any consistency over whether I've given it a star rating or not--though I usually do give it a star rating, as far as I know.

Betsy
It would have to be connected to wifi to record you finishing, of course. . . . so if you usually keep it off, that would have an effect as to how fast it's posted.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
63,461 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:
It would have to be connected to wifi to record you finishing, of course. . . . so if you usually keep it off, that would have an effect as to how fast it's posted.
I never turn WiFi off except on airplanes. WiFi has definitely been on when I've had issues.

And, in fact, if you tap on the Goodreads indicator on the Voyage, and you're in airplane mode, the Kindle will prompt you to turn airplane mode off before posting the Goodreads update. If you cancel that prompt, you get the message "Your Kindle has limited or no wireless connectivity. To use Goodreads on Kindle, tap here to connect > "

(EDIT: And if WiFi is on, and you're just not connected to a network, tapping on the Goodreads icon pops up the WiFi connection screen so you can pick a network.)

Another EDIT: Interestingly, if one uses the pop-up that appears at the end of the book to add a rating, one isn't warned about not being on WiFi.

Betsy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,464 Posts
Yes, I've had the problem as well. I always leave a star rating and my wifi is always on, yet sometimes it does not record my info. I usually catch it because I either check it on my computer or ipad at some point later, but it is kind of annoying since it is hit and miss.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I always leave a star rating before I leave a book, and on multiple occasions when i go to add a non-amazon book to goodreads, the amazon book I'd added done this for last wasn't in there. I think I've caught them all, and hope I have, but it's definitely hit and miss for me. Once it helped for me to change my rating and change it back and then it caught it.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
63,461 Posts
Tuttle said:
I always leave a star rating before I leave a book, and on multiple occasions when i go to add a non-amazon book to goodreads, the amazon book I'd added done this for last wasn't in there. I think I've caught them all, and hope I have, but it's definitely hit and miss for me. Once it helped for me to change my rating and change it back and then it caught it.
I think that's been my experience, too. I usually, after leaving the star rating, tap on the Goodreads icon on the top menu and add the book that way--it seems more reliable.

Betsy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,255 Posts
Same here. I always leave wifi on. I am so glad I can finally do with with the Voyage. The PW lost battery to fast when I did that. Now I never worry about if I am on or off, its just always on.
I also always rate a book when I finish and that is suppose to put it on goodreads, but doesn't always work. Since I have to go in later to put it in the proper other shelves anyway, I always catch it. Doesn't seem to consistently work though.

Can I just say though how nice and fast all this works on the Voyage though? Navigation, about the book where you an add to to the GR shelf, look up other books etc. Its just all so pleasant now on the Voyage.  ;D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
210 Posts
I bet there is an automated task that updates Goodreads and it runs every few hours. If it's like other automated tasks I know, some days it won't complete due to disk space or processing or solar flares or alien invasion :).
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top