Kindle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does someone here have a young-ish daughter on goodreads.com?  Like pre-teen youngish?  I got a friend invitation from her, and I think she's confused me with someone else.  But if you think it might be your daughter, please let me know. 

Because if one or more of her parents post here, it's okay, but otherwise I really try to avoid friending in the pre-teen set anywhere.

And, if she is your daughter, just PM me.  Since she gave her age in her profile, it's probably best not to discuss it out on the boards.  I don't have kids, but I like to make sure they are somewhat protected on the internet.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Chad Winters said:
I'm with you....the last thing I need are the police knocking down my door for talking to a random kid on the internets!!
I'm glad you see what I'm saying. "Officer, I swear I don't know her even though I knew she was underaged" just doesn't have a good ring to it. Also, a LOT of the books on my shelves aren't suitable for pre-teens. Which is fine, b/c I'm not a pre-teen. But the last thing I need is an outraged parent emailing me b/c of what their child found on my virtual shelves.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Hi Robin - One thing that I've found helps in determining where goodreads.com friend requests come from is to add a question that someone must answer in order to send you a friend request.  I recently found this feature and now use "What caught your interest about me that made you want to be my friend?"  You can set this up under "edit profile" and "challenge question".  It also cuts down on the number of people who just want to add #s to their friends' list. 

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
I've just joined Goodreads, I'm guessing it's like Facebook, only about books, so more meaningful (I also have a Facebook account, but that's for my quilting connections.)

The question of "friends" in Facebook was well debated in a quilting group I'm in.  While lots of people want to have lots of friends, for me and my quilting buddies is more about the connections. That being said, many of us accept most friend invitations while declining most of the other little pokes, plants, flowers, snowball battles and other things that people send to their friend list.

In Goodreads, I think Jeff's point is well taken--as in Kindleboards, it's an opportunity to find about about books one might not have read otherwise.  However, I can also see there are occasions one might want to decline an invitation (creepy sounding "friend", seeming stalkers and inappropriately young people all come to mind.)

Betsy

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have a friend on my goodreads who is a pre-teen, she's been my friend for months.  It could be the same girl.  I think she is the only young person on my friends list.  I also do not like to friend minors, but since goodreads seems to be a safe place, I did.  I also have a couple of teenagers as friends there. There is really nothing 'bad' that can be done there, I would let my daughter (10) have an account on there, I feel it is that safe. I would NEVER let her have a Myspace, and for now, no FACEBOOK either.

·
Registered
9,762 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:
I can also see there are occasions one might want to decline an invitation (creepy sounding "friend", seeming stalkers and inappropriately young people all come to mind.)
Betsy,

After searching for you unsuccessfully I'll give up my stalking attempt and just supply you with the URL as an invitation:

http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/2059662

Your appropriately old, occasionally, but not intentionally, creepy friend,

Jeff

·
Registered
123 Posts
For all you new goodreaders, there is a group that was started last week.  the group is called Kindleboards.  A lot of us are there and you can friend us from there.  ;D

·
Registered
123 Posts
ConnieK said:
Liz - I love your photos - both here and on goodreads. You look like you are really enjoying life!
Who me? :D
Thank you dear.
I enjoy life
I enjoy books!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts