Kindle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've got a giveaway, for a proof paperback copy of the third Monkey Queen book, running now on Goodreads. I only printed three copies, and the only one that's left my house went to the cover artist. I haven't sold any paperback copies. The ebook is just coming out today.

I already have two 5-star ratings. (And neither person is in a country with an Amazon store.)

How the heck does that happen? I mean, one person rating the book sight unseen is weird enough, but two? Maybe they think it'll help them win the proof giveaway? Should I report this to Goodreads, or just let it be?

(Or maybe they just really really like the cover. I do!)

·
Registered
12,233 Posts
People rate books on Goodreads to indicate their level of interest in reading it. The ratings don't always mean they've actually read it yet. (In other words, let it be and just be glad they were good ratings.)  :)

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Allow me to direct your attention to the TWELVE HUNDRED reviews for Doors of Stone by Patrick Rofthfuss (my favorite author). https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/21032488-doors-of-stone
The book doesn't even have a release DATE yet.
People started reviewing it ahead of time because they're that confident it'll be great.

Maybe that's a more reasonable response to a very famed author like Pat, but you never know. Maybe a few people who loved your first books wanted to give you a boost and so went ahead and rated for you.
It does happen.

I know I'm more likely to go with a 5 star rating for an indie author I love because I know how much it helps them out. I won't rate a bad book high, but if I liked it and it's the choice between 4 and 5 stars, the fact that they're an indie and it'll help them more leans me toward 5 automatically.

And I might have reviewed books before that I hadn't read just because I loved that author and wanted people to give them a chance. :)

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Arshness said:
Allow me to direct your attention to the TWELVE HUNDRED reviews for Doors of Stone by Patrick Rofthfuss (my favorite author). https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/21032488-doors-of-stone
The book doesn't even have a release DATE yet.
People started reviewing it ahead of time because they're that confident it'll be great.
Shai, did you scroll down and see the community review comments? Patrick Rothfuss himself drops by with a perfectly sensible and very hilarious explanation, which I intend to steal as needed, and which I shall not spoil here. Anyway, thanks to everyone who's posted.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts