Kindle Forum banner

Goodreads Ratings Added to Amazon Books- Good or Bad?

519 Views 8 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  Darryl Hughes
You’ve all probably noticed that Amazon has added Goodreads ratings to books just below the ratings given by Amazon’s reviewers. Not a surprise, since Amazon owns Goodreads. More information is always better, right?
Not for me. Four out of my seven books on Amazon have lower ratings on Goodreads, while three are the same.
Two other differences for me between Goodreads and Amazon. On Amazon you know whether a reviewer is a “Verified Purchaser.” And I get far more reviews on Amazon. Few bother to do more than leave a star rating on Goodreads.
I find that puzzling, since any time I’ve left a review on Amazon I’ve always been prompted to leave it on Goodreads as well with just a click.
A quick highly unscientific look at other books on Amazon makes me think I’m not the only one with lower ratings on Goodreads. How about you?
Do you think adding Goodreads ratings was a good idea? I’m trying to see the value added, but honestly don’t. Especially if they’re generally lower than Amazon ratings, and based on fewer reviews.
Of course, there might be some factor I don’t know about. Readers or publishers asking for Goodreads ratings to be added, maybe?
I guess another way to look at this is that I’m lucky most Amazon reviewers have been very kind to my books!

Edited to remove link. - Becca
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Do you think adding Goodreads ratings was a good idea? I’m trying to see the value added, but honestly don’t
I don't think Amazon cares, or even gave much consideration to, how the change impacted authors. They do what they do for them, not us.
Reactions: 2
I don't think Amazon cares, or even gave much consideration to, how the change impacted authors. They do what they do for them, not us.
Agreed, but I have trouble seeing how putting a bunch of lower ratings from another site on its books is going to help Amazon’s sales. Which is what I think Amazon cares about most.
Unless I’m wrong, and my books are the exception. Maybe others have seen higher ratings from Goodreads than Amazon?
Agreed, but I have trouble seeing how putting a bunch of lower ratings from another site on its books is going to help Amazon’s sales. Which is what I think Amazon cares about most.
Unless I’m wrong, and my books are the exception. Maybe others have seen higher ratings from Goodreads than Amazon?
I would imagine the "reason" is if after they acquired GR, they noticed an overwhelming number of people asking for them to integrate the two so the reviewers no longer have to cross-post or double post the same review. You're not alone; GR unfortunately has cultivated a culture of jerks and some people think the site exists so they can "slam dunk" on books with as many 1 and 2 star reviews as their rotten fingers can type. I think the only benefit is a higher number of overall reviews. By now, people sometimes have a "tipping point" number in their head of how many reviews before they "trust" if a product or service is decent or bad. So the increase in the overall number is helpful in that way, but a lot of us have had to deal with the wannabes slamming our books so they can feel superior, so at the end of the day, it's just Amazon doing what it wants and we have to adjust. It will always be this way.
I don't see separate Goodreads reviews/ratings anymore on my sales pages, and I haven't seen them for some time. I'm looking at .com from Portugal as Portugal doesn't have an Amazon site.

What I now see is up to a 400% increase in ratings/reviews, listed for Amazon.

It looks to me that not only have they amalgamated Goodreads reviews, but that perhaps they have let through reviews/ratings from those in the past that have been denied due to them spending less than $50 per year. Other than that, I can't account for the substantial increase.

None of my books had hit the 100 mark, yet In Search of Jessica now has 432 @4.2 star rating. This book is showing 208 combined reviews and ratings on Goodreads @ 4.15,star rating and had around 90 on Amazon, so around 140 have come from other sources.
This.

Dee
I don't see separate Goodreads reviews/ratings anymore on my sales pages, and I haven't seen them for some time. I'm looking at .com from Portugal as Portugal doesn't have an Amazon site.

What I now see is up to a 400% increase in ratings/reviews, listed for Amazon.

It looks to me that not only have they amalgamated Goodreads reviews, but that perhaps they have let through reviews/ratings from those in the past that have been denied due to them spending less than $50 per year. Other than that, I can't account for the substantial increase.

None of my books had hit the 100 mark, yet In Search of Jessica now has 432 @4.2 star rating. This book is showing 208 combined reviews and ratings on Goodreads @ 4.15,star rating and had around 90 on Amazon, so around 140 have come from other sources.
It turns out that, in the US at least, the Goodreads ratings do display on Amazon on an iPad Pro. But not on an iPhone. I’m guessing because there’s less display room.
I’m also guessing that this display difference would also hold true between a PC and an Android phone, but don’t have either so can’t say for sure.
It doesn't bother me as is, but if they start averaging Goodreads reviews with Amazon reviews/ratings, then I'll be bummed, as my Goodreads averages are markedly lower.

I assume Amazon has added the Goodreads star rating to Amazon book pages as much to market Goodreads as anything else. I wouldn't be surprised if the word "Goodreads" eventually becomes a live link to the page for that particular book on Goodreads.
Reactions: 1
At least the Amazon and Goodreads ratings are shown as two separate things. In the beginning Amazon was just adding the Goodreads ratings to the Amazon ratings and peoples overall ratings were taking a hit because of it. Their were a lot of folks here complaining about it not too long ago.

Dee
Reactions: 1
1 - 9 of 9 Posts