Kindle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I'm becoming more familiar and comfortable here KB, I have to admit I'm completely lost about the best ways to use Goodreads from an indie author perspective. I'd like to interact with readers over there, but not sure the best way to do it? Do they have forums or do you have to join particular groups to interact?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
There are a ton of groups ranging everything you can probably imagine. Join up with some of them and chat.

A couple of pieces of advice: Do not send messages to people you don't know telling them about your book. Do not invite people to things randomly. Do not post your book all over the place in conversation threads.

I'm a writer and it annoys me, so I'm pretty sure what I mentioned above must drive readers away more than it attracts them.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I've been on Goodreads for a few months, and never quite figured it out. A couple days ago I started a giveaway of my paperback. Now I'm suddenly connecting with all kinds of folks and getting exposure.
Do a giveaway.  ;)

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
As a long-time Goodreader, I can honestly say that you have to be very careful about joining GR or any other site for that matter if your primary interest is to promote your books. Joining GR with an author-centric attitude can get you into a lot of trouble. Remember, Goodreads is a site for readers, not authors. With that said, Goodreads is a wonderful site that does offer a few author-centric tools you can use to interact with readers. The first thing you need to do when you join Goodreads is to request an author profile from the site administrators. Not only will an author profile distinguish you from other GR members, it will also link your books to your profile making them visible to anyone who checks your profile.

If you have a blog, you can connect it to your profile so that whenever you post on your blog, the post will also appear on Goodreads. If you don't have your own blog, Goodreads allows you to create one on their site. Another wonderful tool you can use on Goodreads is to hold a book giveaway contest to help drum up interest in a new book you plan to release. There is also the option to buy ad space if you so choose.

As long as you remember to engage GR members as readers and not potential customers, you'll find Goodreads is a wonderful place to get your name out there.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Thanks for this!  ;)

I just went over and am submitting a request for an author page.  I didn't "get" it either!  Now I'm there if anyone would like to friend one another  :D.

·
Registered
325 Posts
RebeccaKnight said:
Thanks for this! ;)

I just went over and am submitting a request for an author page. I didn't "get" it either! Now I'm there if anyone would like to friend one another :D.
hi rebecca, saw your author page and just friended you--sent request. i'm there but haven't done much with gr either. good luck.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
RebeccaKnight said:
Thanks for this! ;)

I just went over and am submitting a request for an author page. I didn't "get" it either! Now I'm there if anyone would like to friend one another :D.
Hi Rebecca. Just checked out your Goodreads profile. I've noticed that you have two separate profiles: one as a reader and another featuring your books. Once your author profile is activated, the two profiles will be consolidated. BTW, just sent you a friend request.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Just friended you both!  :D 

Yeah, it's odd.  I can't wait until things are tidied up into one profile... I haven't been on goodreads in a year or so, but now I'll be hanging out.

·
Registered
876 Posts
RebeccaKnight said:
Thanks for this! ;)

I got an author page and then someone friend requested me and I'm still scratching my head at what to do now haha :d

I'm here http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/4097020.Ilyria_Moon

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.