Kindle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Google Doc to Epub - table of contents not showing in epub reader...anyone know solution? (when using google doc to use it as a epub converter?)

I tried calibre but those versions are not being accepted by apple. Thanks!

·
Registered
826 Posts
Is this the device/NCX/logical TOC? If so, my guess is either the top-level headings aren't set up as such, or Google's converter doesn't parse them when generating the TOC.

ETA: Just double-checked and headings I tagged as "Heading 1" in Docs did populate the logical TOC when downloaded as ePub. That said, it also pulled in a lot of pretty dodgy CSS, including color and fixed units for font sizes, both of which are pretty bad for books meant for sale.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
this is auto generated toc using word and uploadnig to google doc...and also refereshing the auto generated table of contents. then i download it as an epub...
but the epub version NEVER shows the auto generated table of contens (when i use google doc > convert to epub)

Does ANYONE know how to make TOC show up when using google doc to convert to epub? THANK YOU!

·
Registered
826 Posts
Yes, by making sure your headings are tagged as Heading 1. If they are, and it still doesnt work, that would be an additional reason not to use googles conversion for publication. The former reason being the very faulty CSS I mentioned which will flag as warnings for some distributors and will break dark mode on some devices. Dont recommend using this conversion for anything other than personal use. Its pretty half baked.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i used calibre but it rarely gets approved by the apple books web publishing portal which i use as a non-mac user. (anyone know a common solution using calibre to make it approved by apple publishing web portal?) - i just use the simple upload & convert options & upload a cover & just fill in the basic title, author, tags. that's it. not sure why this doesn't get approved by apple web portal most of the time. btw, with calibre, the toc does show up and the page breaks looks nicer...but usually there seems to me more errors in the approval process by apple web portal.

so using google drive does seems to approved more but the toc doesn't show up using google doc (and yes i'm using the heading 1 and tested all sorts but toc not showing up so i just write it manually so readers can see the toc but it is not clickable/and does not redirect to the chapters in epub.)

is there another free word to epub converting software that DOES work well with apple web portal other than google doc & calibre? thanks!

·
Registered
5,518 Posts
:)Try this. It might work if you haven't already done it.

Go to your Word auto TOC.  Highlight "Contents" or whatever heading you have for the TOC. Then go to "insert" in the top ribbon. Under add a hyperlink (I think) you can add a bookmark. In bookmark type "toc" to add the bookmark to you TOC heading 

See if that does it. All I know that with Word you have to do that for mobi conversion via Amazon for the toc to work from the menu on a kindle device, although previewers show it as if it is okay (including calibre) if that's not done. Without doing that you won't have access to the toc on a kindle device via the menu. It might be the same for correct conversion to epub.

I've never had a problem using calibre to convert Word to epub, but then I've always checked it with epub validator.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you. I finally found a solution. I tested multiple epub converters and the one that consistently got approved by apple web portal (for non pc users) was Draft2Digital converting software. It finally worked! Thanks to everyone for your helpful replies!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts