Kindle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I'm working on transitioning to speech dictation, at least partly, because it's much faster (theoretically) and I feel like my dialogue writing flows much more naturally when I'm, you know, speaking the dialogue. :)

So I've been using google docs on my iPhone, and it's fantastic aside from two minor, but exceedingly frustrating issues. The first is, no smart quotes. I can do smart quotes on Google Docs in Chrome, and I can do it on the iPhone if I'm typing (defeating the purpose in the process), but I can't seem to make it happen with dictation. Urgh!

And the second, even more simple and thus more frustrating issue, is the fact that I can't automatically indent the first line of each paragraph like you can do SO easily in word and openoffice.

If I could fix these two problems so I'm not constantly editing at the end of each session, I would be off to the races. Anyone hear of a fix? Or have any other tips, tricks, issues, beefs, with this new, exciting, and horrifically frustrating technology?

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
DaveinJapan said:
And the second, even more simple and thus more frustrating issue, is the fact that I can't automatically indent the first line of each paragraph like you can do SO easily in word and openoffice.
That is simply solved by distinguishing between writing/editing and formatting. Write it without worrying about the presentation, then when you format use styles and then everything becomes indented at once, but you need to go back and change anything that you wanted to be No Indent by setting it to that style. Unless of course you intend to publish the book as a Google Doc.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts