Kindle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know about Google's ebook program? Is it just traditional publishers or is there an indie option? Also, I thought I heard someone talking about Google setting up their own publishing arm, a la Amazon. Does anyone know anything about that?

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
I can't give you direct experience because they only allow US authors.

I have heard some indie won't list there because they discount without permission and then Amazon price match. So if you list your book for $2.99 they could cut it to, say, $2.70. Amazon then price match and your royalty rate drops to 35%.

I know some indies get round this by just sticking a higher price for the Google edition - say $3.50, because Google tend to discount by a set amount, and that way you can pretty much guarantee it won't drop below $2.99.

There were other frustrating things people said about working with Google, but I can't remember off the top of my head.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I'm signed up with Google for the library preview program (with the file limited), but I don't use the store. I don't recommend the store, either.

Here's why:
[quote author=Google eBookstore ToS]Google and its Authorized Resellers may discount the List Price and the Bundled Price at their sole discretion and in this case the Standard Revenue Split and the Reseller Revenue Split will be based on the List Price.[/quote] (emphasis mine)

I don't want my books discounted without my permission, so I don't sell with them.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got an email from some guy at Google asking me if I was interested in exploring publishing options with the company. I responded, wondering if they were going to make a publishing foray a la Amazon's new imprints. No, they're just trying to get some successful indies to sign up to grow the size of their ebook store. I know Google is another huge company, but it would be nice to see them have some success just so we can spread our eggs among some other baskets.

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
@Mel

It hasn't changed, I tried the other day.

@Michael

If I could upload, I would test it out with a title or two, just keep in mind what I said about discounting and Amazon price-matching.

One big thing in Google's favour is their deal with independent bookstores, allowing them to sell your e-books through their own webstores.

However, I gather there are some kinks to iron out in Google's offering. Plus, I don't think they are shifting a lot of books.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts