Kindle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
New crime fiction series.
3,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search in the Writers' Cafe and didn't find one about it, so my apologies if I missed it.

Interesting article about how Google is starting to use a "mobile-friendly" label into its search results considerations for websites:

http://venturebeat.com/2015/02/26/google-starts-using-indexed-apps-and-its-mobile-friendly-label-as-ranking-factors-for-search-results/

Meaning if you're website isn't mobile-friendly it might not rank as well as on Google.

I started a thread about this a few months ago: http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,193958.0.html

I noticed I was receiving a considerable amount of traffic to my website from mobile devices (smart phones, tablets, etc). My Wordpress-powered website was a mess on mobile devices, so I switched to a "responsive" theme and what a difference!

And now that Google is taking that into consideration, it makes even more sense to make sure you're website is mobile-friendly. If you use a Wordpress it's a snap, just use a theme that's "responsive" and you're set.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
They've also started tagging slow sites. If your site doesn't respond quickly enough, you may get a SLOW tag on your search listing.

·
Registered
283 Posts
It's all for the better. Google knows that its main job is to make the users happy, so that includes not only serving them the site with the best content, but also the site that is the fastest and the most user friendly.

Mobile friendly isn't usually an issue though, as most good pre-made themes are already mobile friendly and most blogging services also offer this by default.

What can be an issue however, is the speed of the site. A basic website hosting service will only provide decent speed for low-traffic websites. After a certain point, you either have to switch to a more private server or suffer slow-downs and other problems.

From Google's perspective this is also a good tactic against low-quality add and affiliate sites which rarely purchase private servers. Most simple internet marketers use hosting services that allow for a large number of domains under a simple purchase plan. Like - pay 10-15$ a month and host as many sites as you want. Which is a huge money-saver. The problem is, all those sites will have to share account resources, meaning that if any of them start to get any decent traffic, they will become slow.

Once Google starts to really down-list sites based on speed and mobile friendliness, it's largely going to improve the rankings of quality sites.

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MyraScott said:
They've also started tagging slow sites. If your site doesn't respond quickly enough, you may get a SLOW tag on your search listing.

Good point. I had read about that too. You can check your website with Google:

https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/

And they'll tell you how to fix things if it's too slow.

My website did pretty bad on mobile speed (29/100) but did well for "user experience" at 98/100. On a desktop my website scored 35/100, so I'm going to hire someone on eLance and give them the Google "how to fix" instructions so they can fix it for me since some of it is a bit over my head tech-wise.

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tyler Danann said:
87 for PC

61 For Mobile on mine.
Nice score! I noticed you're not using Wordpress. I really like Wordpress and I wouldn't want to use anything else, but I'm finding out it that using Wordpress (especially a "heavy" theme like the one I use, Avada) can really slow things down if you don't optimize other things. I'm having a tech expert help me with that, so stay tuned. Hopefully my score will get into the Google green zone without messing up my current site or having to make any big changes.

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Apparently they're going to change the algorithms to favor mobile sites as of April 21st? So if your site isn't mobile-friendly it will take a hit. Was reminded about this today in the art quilting circles I'm in.

Two links. First is about the change taking place April 21st. Second is a way to test your site.

http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.com/2015/02/finding-more-mobile-friendly-search.html

https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/mobile-friendly (KBoards passes, yay!)

Hope this is of use!

Betsy

·
Registered
350 Posts
It makes me sad that it takes Google tagging sites for people to realize how important mobile accessibility is in 2015. While desktops are still used heavily for browsing, the number of mobile/tablet users continues to grow day after day. This is why it surprised me when I saw so many web developers here not using responsive layouts or themes. I play an SES in my other life and if it's one thing we have had to learn, it is: information + accessibility = win (for search and for your visitors). Responsive design has been around for quite some time now and other mobile solutions before that.

Seems like it's a good time to be a web developer... there will be plenty of business coming from people that need some HTML5/CSS3 in their life.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I wonder if adding 'mobile friendly' as a key word to your book descriptions on Google Play will be of any benefit. Probably not, but I'm going to do it anyway. Can't hurt.

Thanks for the info, Alan.

·
Registered
6,549 Posts

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here's the Google link to see if they consider your website "mobile friendly":

https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/mobile-friendly/

Whew ;D :

To each their own and if you don't care if your website is indexed by Google that's fine, but if you're already using Wordpress it's so easy. You just switch to a responsive enabled theme and that's it. You can preview it beforehand to make sure it won't mess things up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts