Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who has started experimenting with this?
I have - got invited by another google user.
Google hopes to supplant FB & seems to offer some controls & privacy safeguards that FB just isn't interested in.

So, even though there aren't many 'official invites' out & about, another way is to get aaa current Google+ user to add you to their 'circles'

If anyone is interested, just PM me with your email address.
I'm not at all sure whether it has to be a gmail address or not, but I guess we can find out.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Invite me!  :p

Just kidding. I think you have to actually use Google's pre-existing "social" features to merit a direct invite.

If they do it right, it has potential. There was a huge article on one of the tech websites explaining its development, very interesting stuff. However, perhaps it's a bad omen that they guy running the whole shebang is originally from Micro$loth.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

http://xkcd.com/918/
(I've got a pic I'm trying to upload here; bear with me please :p )
(Aha! got it)

·
Premium Member
6,848 Posts
I've been on Google Buzz since it started and now they're quickly migrating us all over to Google+ .... and it's SOOOO much like facebook - just with 'circles' to be able to send out comments to be seen only by those you want.  No more telling gramma about your last party :) ....

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
I have looong wished facebook had an option like the circle idea. I often only want to tell certain people about things, or share photos with one group of people. I also like how it integrates with other google things, so I can see if I have any notifications while looking at my gmail or my google calendar. The other thing I hate about facebook is all the things in my newsfeed that I don't care about - who's befriending who, or what new group they like. I'm hoping Google+ has a way for me to filter the newsfeed. I do think it has promise, but with so few people using it right now, it's hard to tell if I'll really like it or not.

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
Well, FB does have groups. I have a private group set up just for family members there.

As far as privacy goes, eh, we'll see. It's not like Google's business model wants privacy -- they're in the business of trying to track what everyone on the web does. I'm not saying it will or will not be better than FB in that regard, just that I don't really trust Google any more than I do FB or Microsoft to really, truly put my privacy ahead of their profits.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes - this is all very early & time will only tell as to how it plays out.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I've been hoping to get an e-mail soon on it, but I guess google just isn't interesting in getting me involved. But yeah, I'll gladly take an invite. :) Sending PM now.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
NogDog said:
As far as privacy goes, eh, we'll see. It's not like Google's business model wants privacy -- they're in the business of trying to track what everyone on the web does. I'm not saying it will or will not be better than FB in that regard, just that I don't really trust Google any more than I do FB or Microsoft to really, truly put my privacy ahead of their profits.
I agree that Google is certainly not an angel; and of course any company wants to be able to maximize its input or influence. But I do like that they seem to have learned from their Buzz fiasco & started this project out with a platform that lets users have the choice from the get-go as to who/what they want to share.

I am somewhat concerned that with the mobile app, you cannot opt out of geolocation.

Several of my geeky work colleagues are really jumping on this, so I'm definitely watching how everything evolves.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I'm on it!  I've also learned a trick or two about joining it.... if someone sends you a link, click view link - NOT JOIN!  Join will take you to a page saying membership is maxed out where as the link will take you to a page to sign up.  If you want to add me to your circle, then send me a PM.

A friend of mine knows a google exec who said they're limiting membership right now to prevent a rush from crashing their system which seems smart to me. 

There are aspects I really like about it and aspects I don't.  Facebook killed Myspace so it will be interesting to see how this affects FB's monopoly.... a ton of my friends were upset that FB recently changed how profiles work and they have a new "change" announcement on Tuesday so they could be pushing people away by not remaining what people fell in love with in the first place.  We'll see.

I must admit though being able to access it through my Android before all the Iphone users makes me feel infinitely cool.  8)

·
Registered
118 Posts
CegAbq said:
I am somewhat concerned that with the mobile app, you cannot opt out of geolocation.
You may have missed it, but you can. Whenever you post via the mobile app, you have the option to opt-in or opt-out of geolocation, and it's sticky so it remembers the next time you post/share.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
DenverRalphy said:
You may have missed it, but you can.
Thanks for this tip! And when I made a post from my phone, it was very clear that you could not allow the geolocation.
It looks like Google is trying to help out as much as possible in providing EASY privacy options.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
kindlequeen said:
I'm on it! I've also learned a trick or two about joining it.... if someone sends you a link, click view link - NOT JOIN! Join will take you to a page saying membership is maxed out where as the link will take you to a page to sign up. If you want to add me to your circle, then send me a PM.
I must admit though being able to access it through my Android before all the Iphone users makes me feel infinitely cool. 8)
;D

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
So bummed I didn't get in on this at the start, and friends who did can't seem to send out invites now. Or they don't want me there  :D

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thumper said:
So bummed I didn't get in on this at the start, and friends who did can't seem to send out invites now. Or they don't want me there :D
It seems to be working for those I've sent links to; so try PM'ing me with your email address

·
Registered
764 Posts
Thumper, try my link trick!  It works.... a friend sent me a link to his post on google+ that allowed me to join but I had to click VIEW the link or photo, NOT the join button to actually get in.  It took 24 hours for the email to get to me (I sent one to a friend and it took a few hours to get to her but both got through).

If you send me your email in a PM, I'll send you one to see if it works. 

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
I was able to join by clicking the red "Learn more about Goggle+" bar in the email.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 69 Posts