Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
4,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's called the Story HD, and it's going to be priced pretty competitively. Unfortunately, it sounds as if the Story HD has the bulk and heft of the Kindle 2 with only incremental advances over the Kindle 3 (slightly better resolution and a bit better battery life).

Nothing to write home about, especially as it's the same price as the Kindle 3 WiFi and slightly more than the "Special Offers" edition. Also, distribution is limited to only one retailer-Target.

· Registered
4,399 Posts
Kinda?  :pets sleek Kindle:  ;)

· Registered
9,774 Posts
it does look like my K2.
the thing is, it will get more people reading e-books, which for authors is a good thing.

· Registered
4,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Doug Lance said:
It's not made by Google. It's made by iRiver. Google is partnering with them to offer the book selection.
I doubt any e-book seller be it Amazon, B&N, or Google, actually manufactures their own readers. They pretty much all subcontract that out.

· Registered
570 Posts
R. Doug said:
I doubt any e-book seller be it Amazon, B&N, or Google, actually manufactures their own readers. They pretty much all subcontract that out.
Amazon designed and branded the Kindle.

Google got together a bunch of books and approached iRiver with a deal. iRiver designed and branded the device.

· Registered
6,749 Posts
I tend to like Google, but their ebook endeavors have been, in my opinion, a disaster.  I have three books available for sale in the ebookstore and it took me half a year to get them formatted and updated.  I have yet to sell a single one.  It was such a disaster, I have not sent them any of the novels I have published since I got those four up there.  So, I think they are a bit late to the game here.

· Registered
4,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Casper Parks said:
My question, will someone be able to buy and read a Kindle book on it?
No.

· Registered
6,749 Posts
I was at Target this past weekend and was hoping they would have a display model out that I could play around with.  Sadly, they did not, just a bunch of readers in boxes on an end cap.  So, I still don't know what it feels like or how it functions.

I have four novels available at the Google eBookstore, so we'll see if any sales happen because this reader catches on.  I think there is room in the market for several popular ereaders.

· Registered
2 Posts
Looks kinda like my K2.
My wife wants a reader for her B-day in 2 weeks and she is leaning toward the nook to get the touch screen capability.
You get a bit spoiled after using a touch screen. 
Google's iriver is just not tickling the fancy.

· Super Moderator
74,510 Posts
Lynn, there are STRONG rumors that Amazon will be releasing a new generation of Kindle within a couple of months and much of the speculation is that at least one model offered will have a touch screen.  So you might want to consider holding off on the nook just yet.  Not that's it's not a fine reader. . .but if you already have a Kindle, and if the two of you read similar things, it will be easier to share books with two Kindles.  In fact, except for titles in the public domain, or published without copy protection, there's no real way to do that if you have two different branded readers without violating the terms of service of at least one of them. :-\

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.