Kindle Forum banner

Got a 2nd Kindle 1... Now what to do with it??? (UPDATE: It has a home)

2K views 24 replies 15 participants last post by  koolmnbv 
#1 ·
So this weekend I was able to get another K1 on CL for only $100.  Of course, at that price I jumped at the chance to get it.  It's gorgeous and working perfectly.  Now I have a dilemma which is what to do with it?!?!

Here are the choices:

1) Give to mom - I really want this to work out, I really do but I just don't think she'll use it.  I have shown her my K1 and her reaction was kind an aloof "huh? oh that's nice dear"   :-\  She is retired and has the most time to enjoy it but I think she's a TV addict.

2) Give to hubby - Yeah right!  That would be the day he read a book. lol  He swears he just doesn't have the time to read!  I believe him since he does have 2 jobs but I do see him spending hours sitting around with that Itouch attached to his head but that's a different story.  lol

3) Give to cousin Dawn - An english teacher who loves to read and who would most appreciate it but has 2 kids under 3 and another on the way.  She always says she just doesn't have time to read anymore any time the subject of books comes up.

4)  Give to good friend Diane - She reads, has a birthday coming, and is sort of interested in the Kindle (think it's kind of cool but always says "I love the feel of a paper book").  I could maybe get another friend to chip in for the cost as a dual present.  As a group of friends, we have a pact to NOT do birthday gifts though so that is a slippery slope.

5)  Resell it to another friend who really, really wants one at a great price and pass it on for what I paid for it.

6)  Be selfish and keep as a backup in case Estelle dies as I LOVE my K1 and no interest in any other model.  I'm already getting attached to it.

HELP!  lol

See less See more
#2 ·
I would choose #5 resell it at cost to friend who wants one..  All other options will leave you disappointed, that it is neglected, and not being properly cared for.  Dressed, given gifts etc.  And the recipient may feel guilty about not liking it and then you have weirdness.  Defiantly find the kk a home that really wants it.  What is CL?

#6 ·
I vote for 5 or 6. If you don't like the newer versions, it would be great to have a backup. However, Amazon may stop supporting it after a while. (I still have one, so I hope they'll support it for a long time to come.) Or, if you think you may want to upgrade to a Kindle 3 (not 2 or DX) sometime in the nearer future, then go ahead and sell it to your friend who you know will use it and enjoy it. You'll be happy knowing that you did something for her and knowing that she's enjoying it.

#7 ·
I also vote for #5 or #6

with option #6 you might originally be keeping it for your own personal use/reasons but after time you might find the perfect home,gift,person to give/sell it to. Or you might find you ended up needing it yourself. Either way unless you need the money right away (which doesn't seem the case) with #6 it gives you time and options to decide further what to do that exactly fits your needs/wants!

#10 ·
I would vote for #5 also.

When my K2 arrived, I gave my K1 to a member of our congregation who has kept the church computers and my computers running for over fifteen years - for free. God only knows how much money we would owe him for the work he's done for us. He is thrilled beyond belief with his K1! He runs the computer support for Registrar's office at the nearby State University and has loaded the 4 huge manuals and help files onto it; he even did a demo for the software designers when he met with them recently. Needless to say, he's already figured out far, far more ways to use it than I have.

Recently he was reading it at lunch time in the cafeteria and a student came up and told him that her mom had given her one but she didn't have time to read any fun books. He asked her if she had downloaded any text books and explained how to transfer them to her K2. She was so surprised and hurried off to her room to do precisely that. (This story suggests to me that the DX will sell well to college students.)

I don't know that any other gift I've given has evoked such joy and usefulness.  ;D 

Cherie

#13 ·
Cherie,
What a wonderful story!  I wish I knew someone who would appreciate it that much as I would love to be able to bring that much happiness to someone who deserves it. 

Of everyone listed, for me it's Cousin Dawn hands down. She is absolutely wonderful and has done so much for us and I would love to give it to her if she could use it.  Oh and she's a SAHM now with the little ones.  :) 

#14 ·
raccemup said:
Cherie,
What a wonderful story! I wish I knew someone who would appreciate it that much as I would love to be able to bring that much happiness to someone who deserves it.

Of everyone listed, for me it's Cousin Dawn hands down. She is absolutely wonderful and has done so much for us and I would love to give it to her if she could use it. Oh and she's a SAHM now with the little ones. :)
My daughter Erin has 3 children, 5, 4 and 11 months and she loves to read. She is downloading books to her Iphone and says that she loves it. When she is sitting with her baby she can hold that while the baby is taking her bottle and get a little reading time in. She was saying when she holds a DTB the baby is grabbing it and tearing the pages or getting something on it. I have a feeling your cousin would find more time to read with the Kindle.

#17 ·
LOL Betsy. If I do put it up for an anonymous sale, you'll be the first to know!

I got LUCKY... REALLY LUCKY!  I was checking my local craiglist by doing a search for Kindle in items for sale every day.  For months...every day.  No kidding.  Then Saturday, there it was!  I specifically wanted one locally off of Craigslist so I could go and see it and make sure it was working right before I bought it. 

So yes, it can be done!  ;D

#18 ·
I managed to get one for $150 that had been sitting on Craig's List for a week.  And I thought I got a good deal, $100 is crazy.  Well worth the hour and a half drive for it, though.  Made it an early mother's day gift.

#19 ·
I just wanted to give everyone an update on this. ;D

I gifted the Kindle 1 to my cousin Dawn.  I took a long time to decide but I got her to disclose that she was still reading books just not as often as she liked. hehehe. I got a M-Edge cover from Kathy here (the original it came with had a small damage), I got an SD card and loaded it with classics, and put custom screensavers of her kids/family on it.

She absolutely couldn't believe it and she loved it!  She said that she had just decided she wanted a Kindle and had asked her husband for one but he was like "NO WAY!" due to the cost.  lol  Perfect Timing!

I'm so glad I gave it to the right person who deserved it and that she can and will use it.  So I have single handedly added another Kindle user to our ranks.  ;D

#21 ·
raccemup said:

I gifted the Kindle 1 to my cousin Dawn. I took a long time to decide but I got her to disclose that she was still reading books just not as often as she liked. hehehe. I got a M-Edge cover from Kathy here (the original it came with had a small damage), I got an SD card and loaded it with classics, and put custom screensavers of her kids/family on it.

She absolutely couldn't believe it and she loved it! She said that she had just decided she wanted a Kindle and had asked her husband for one but he was like "NO WAY!" due to the cost. lol Perfect Timing!

I'm so glad I gave it to the right person who deserved it and that she can and will use it. So I have single handedly added another Kindle user to our ranks. ;D
So Glad that you gave it to your cousin. I'm glad the cover went to a good home.

#22 ·
raccemup said:

I gifted the Kindle 1 to my cousin Dawn. I took a long time to decide but I got her to disclose that she was still reading books just not as often as she liked. hehehe. I got a M-Edge cover from Kathy here (the original it came with had a small damage), I got an SD card and loaded it with classics, and put custom screensavers of her kids/family on it.

She absolutely couldn't believe it and she loved it! She said that she had just decided she wanted a Kindle and had asked her husband for one but he was like "NO WAY!" due to the cost. lol Perfect Timing!

I'm so glad I gave it to the right person who deserved it and that she can and will use it. So I have single handedly added another Kindle user to our ranks. ;D
Aww that is wonderful :) Always good when a Kindle finds a good home :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.