Kindle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got my K2. First thing I noticed upon opening the box is that it was quite a bit smaller and thinner than I expected after seeing photos of it. I am happy about this as I expected it to be much bigger and slightly heavier. Its a great size for me.

Of course I immediately started dabbling with it and here's my take on it so far (remember , this is a 1 hour into the Kindle 2 kinda opinion).

I like the screen contrast and changeable font size as I may actually be able to read it without glasses (Great for me as I don't always carry my specs).

I played with the settings, named it (I went with "Lady" rather than my original name choice...it seemed right for it...OK, I'm weird) and found them to be pretty straight forward and intuitive, though I am an IT geek so maybe I just am born to this kinda thing.

I went to the Amazon site and bought a book to download. I had an average of 3 bars but the download took over 5 minutes, not long overall but it this normal? It may be due to the size of the book as the sample chapters I had selected downloaded immediately. If anyone can clarify if the download time is normal, I would appreciate some feedback on this.

It seems a little sluggish when I use the 5 way to select things on the screen and there is definitely some lag but nothing so horrible that I can't live with it. I mostly read and less often will use the Kindle to shop for the books so I won't lose any sleep over a slight lag.

I also used my PC to transfer a book through the USB cable. It was very easy to transfer books via my PC as it was just a matter of dropping and dragging into the Kindle drive and they were there so even if Whispernet is shaky (Hopefully not as that is a part of what I paid for in buying the Kindle) then I won't sweat that either.

Tonight will be the real test as I normally read most often in bed and its almost that time. The big issues for me will be how comfortable will it be to hold for extended periods and will page turning not seem awkward. My old ebook reader (Ebookwise reader) was heavier and a different technology so there is no comparison in those areas but I enjoyed reading in bed with it and had not comfort issues.

Right now I am in that "hold the Kindle carefully so I don't break it " stage but it will have to take some abuse as time goes by and it gets used daily. Time will see how it survives.I have an Oberon cover arriving next week as well as a DecalGirl skin so my Kindle will be well clothed as of next week (Had an email discussion with DecalGirl person due to an order change and she was extremely helpful and pleasant. I recommend them to anyone).

Anyhow, thats my short, uninformed opinion so its off to bed and some kindling. :D

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
Congratulations. 
The download times can vary a bit.  Sometimes they happen quickly, other times it does lag a bit. 
Happy Kindling.
deb

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
Whispernet can sometimes be slow to pick up that you have a book to download.  If you don't see the little circle working in the top left corner of the screen then you probably aren't in the physical act of downloading it.  If you go to the menu and click "Sync and Check for Items" it'll find any pending downloads and you should get them in about 60 seconds.  I had it last about 3 or 4 minutes the other day and I was worried... until the download finished and I realized I had about 10 books in my queue that it had downloaded in that time.

As for holding it, you definitely get used to it and your Oberon cover will make it feel more like a book.  I actually lie mine down on my pillow which is even better than holding it!  Once you get the cover it'll give you some pretty good protection, too, so keep being careful with it at least until then!  You'll definitely get used to turning pages in no time.  When I first got mine I kept hitting the back button and menu button and home button and totally screwing it up, but now it's second nature.

The 5-way controller and typing is definitely sluggish and there's always going to be imput lag just due to the eink technology.  Like you said, you'll be mostly reading so these things aren't huge issues, but you don't have a defective unit.

If you haven't yet, I suggest turning off Whispernet until you need it.  I kept mine on for the first week and would get 2-3 days off a charge.  With it off I get 2-3 weeks.  Enjoy your new Kindle!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Jeansaint said:
Right now I am in that "hold the Kindle carefully so I don't break it " stage but it will have to take some abuse as time goes by and it gets used daily.
This made me giggle. Mostly because it's true and I can completely relate. Happens with all newly acquired gadgets; I'm so over-protective of them at first, and though I'm always gentle and careful with my gear, it eventually gets to the point where I can just shove them in a pocket or throw them in a bag without thinking too much about it.

Enjoy your new Kindle. I'm sure you'll have some wonderful times together ;)

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Congrats on your K2 :)
Glad to hear you have some accessories on their way :)
Enjoy your reading.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts