Kindle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my Kindle 2 yesterday and it is my first e-book reader (other than my iPhone if you count it as such).

Pros:

• I love the form factor - very slim and easy to carry around.
  • Having wireless updates/books beamed in is very nice.
  • Love the ability to do more, i.e. surf the web, etc.
  • Also appreciate that I can put my own PDFs on there for reading/research later

Cons:

• Screen is smaller than I expected -- smaller than most books.
  • Background/screen is not as white as I expected -- I was hoping for an actual white background with black text for the maximum contrast possible.
  • Need a bit more light than a regular book to be able to read adequately.
  • Concerned about trend of e-book pricing, esp. where paperback book is same price or cheaper.

I think this is just a matter of getting used to it. Thankfully I have 30 days to try it out and send it back if I can't get the hang of it. My biggest issue is the screen contrast just wish it was white not gray, like a book. :)

Ray

·
Registered
208 Posts
I received mine on Tuesday and it was the first time I had held one. 

My initial impressions on the gray screen were the same along with the screen size approximately the size of a mass market. I had impressions the font size could go larger as well.

I haven't found the need for more light to read it.

I've already read three books on it and I absolutely LOVE it.  I now can't imagine reading a bound book again. (sad in a way)

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
cheshirenc said:
I had impressions the font size could go larger as well.
It can! That is what the aA key is for. You can also change the spacing and fomatting by pressing alt-shift and then each number key will give you a different number of lines per page.

·
Registered
289 Posts
My opinion on the screen was initially the same...contrast was weird. 

But I realized that they most likely designed the lightly colored screen to reduce eye-strain.  Generally, book pages aren't completely white, like copy/printer paper...they're generally a cream color.  Can you imagine trying to read text on white paper out in broad daylight for an extended period of time (or with a bright booklight)?  It would reflect more light right into your eyes.

It's definitely a different color than book pages, but I grew accustomed to it VERY quickly.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Octochick said:
It can! That is what the aA key is for. You can also change the spacing and fomatting by pressing alt-shift and then each number key will give you a different number of lines per page.
I never really paid much attention to what sizes were offered and I was under the impression you could go as high as about 24 size

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
I have a Klassic and am waiting on my K 2. The screen contrast or backgorund color never bothered me. I think you will quickly adjust to that after reading a few pages.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I was actually pleased to see that the screen was not white for higher contrast. This is so easy on my eyes. I maximize the font size in the evening to reduce eyestrain and can read without my glasses. I bought a Mighty Brite clip light and don't need to shine it directly on the screen to illuminate thus eliminating glare.

I am thrilled never lose a page again. I have a tendency to fall asleep and the book will close and now I'm searching for that last page I read. No more. The Kindle goes to sleep shortly after I do ;D and remembers where I left off.

The screen was smaller than I expected but not so much so to change my feelings about reading from it.

I still won't pay the higher prices for some of the eBooks. I am "saving for later" on the store screen and maybe if enough of us do that the prices will drop into the reasonable range. I did find a library of Kindle eBooks online that for $8.95 A YEAR I can download the PDFs of 500,000 books, many of the classics and a large number of technical journals. The only additional cost is the 10cents that Amazon charges to send it to my K2.

All in all I'm happy with my purchase.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great stuff. I'm sure I will get used to it. I'm pretty easy to get along with! ;)

Where is this library you speak of for $9/year?

Thanks,
Ray

·
Registered
57 Posts
I posted these comments in another chat discussion, but maybe it applies to this subject more...

My Kindle arrived today.  This is my 1st experience with the Kindle, and I have to say that as far as the screen is concerned, my Sony PRS-505 appears to have darker blacks and a whiter background when reading text.  The graphics do appear better on the Kindle, but when reading the letters appear to have better contrast on the Sony.  Does anyone else have a Sony PRS-505 to compare?  I wonder if I happened to get a slightly sub par Kindle screen.  The additional Kindle features to make it a very nice device, but I'm puzzled about the screen.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
cheshirenc said:
I never really paid much attention to what sizes were offered and I was under the impression you could go as high as about 24 size
The largest size is the equivalent of 16pt print.

·
Registered
19 Posts
knit4keeps said:
I am thrilled never lose a page again. I have a tendency to fall asleep and the book will close and now I'm searching for that last page I read. No more. The Kindle goes to sleep shortly after I do ;D and remembers where I left off.
One of the great highlights for this old geezer. Besides it falls asleep rather quietly and not with a resounding thunk, that scares the bejeezus out of the dog, that sends her into a barking frenzy, which in turns scares the bejeezus out of this old geezer. :D :D

·
Registered
36 Posts
Solari said:
Great stuff. I'm sure I will get used to it. I'm pretty easy to get along with! ;)

Where is this library you speak of for $9/year?

Thanks,
Ray
Ray,
I found this library at http://www.kindlelibrary.net/

You can try the download on a few books "free" -- the only cost will be the 10 cent charge from Amazon for the conversion. I should mention that these books are all converted to PDF. You download it to your computer then send it to your Kindle's email address. Amazon then converts it and sends it to your Kindle (that's the 10 cent charge).

I figure I spend that much on junk food to eat while I read so it was worth a shot.

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
knit4keeps said:
Ray,
I found this library at http://www.kindlelibrary.net/

You can try the download on a few books "free" -- the only cost will be the 10 cent charge from Amazon for the conversion. I should mention that these books are all converted to PDF. You download it to your computer then send it to your Kindle's email address. Amazon then converts it and sends it to your Kindle (that's the 10 cent charge).

I figure I spend that much on junk food to eat while I read so it was worth a shot.
I have never been charged the $.10 conversion fee. I haven't heard of anyone actually being charged. That could change in the future, but as of now...nope. (And I've sent hundreds and hundres of documents)

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
Those classics and kids classics are available for free from various websites (legally) and I bet most of the other books can be found for free on the internet as well. No need really to pay $9 for something you can get for free elsewhere.

I went to apple and downloaded the PDF for my ipod for free and had it converted..same thing with JVC for my camcorder.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts