Kindle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
The location function in the Kindle takes the location of the connected cell tower and associates it with the approximate location on Google Maps, thus presenting an approximate place marker on the map page. It's almost useless as far as accuracy is concerned, but it can give the user an idea of gas stations or restaraunts within a several-mile radius. It is NOT connected with the GPS system; it's merely a rough representation of location based on cell tower transmission.

·
Super Moderator
67,558 Posts
Jeff said:
Sorry. I stepped on a serious answer from Teninx.
Jeff said:
My GPS comment was intended as a joke. I had just been discussing South Carolina's involvement in the Revolutionary War with John by email. Sorry if I confused some people.

Jeff
I wasn't confused. . . .except by the concept of a serious answer from Teninx

:)
Ann

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Dori said:
I am so old and senile sometimes I ferget whur I am. Will my Kindle tell me?

What Buttons do I push???
Here are the GPS shortcuts:

It seems there is a location capability (GPS?) in the CDMA module. The following shortcuts are programmed inside the browser.

Alt-1 show current location in google maps (cellphone tower receiving the call).
Alt-2 find gas station nearby
Alt-3 find restaurants nearby
Alt-4
Alt-5 find custom keyword nearby
Alt-D dump debug info to the log and toggle highlight default item
Alt-Z toggle zone drawing and show log

Like I said, I haven't really played with this so I am not an expert at all. Just posting the info.

L

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Thanks Leslie.  I think I understand all except the Alt D and Alt Z part.  I looked into the web browsing stuff a little last night and find that the battery goes down fast when you do this stuff.  Since I am rarely more than 15 minutes from home I probably will not use.  I sure do like being able to look at my local weather radar and info from my local newspaper and tv station websites.  I have not purchased your book but have seen it mentioned.  Probably should have that.  I have printed the User Guide and indexed it and make my notes that I learn here in that.  Mucho Gracias

·
Registered
2 Posts
The one thing I did test yesterday was the use of Google Maps! It was a little slow and funky...but if you are out and about, are lost, need help and don't have a GPS in your car, you can always use Google Maps and get directions! It worked great for me!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts