Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I know we've discussed songs we write to, but one particular thing I like to do is write to movie soundtracks.

I've already overplayed:
Danny Elfman - Alice's Theme
John Williams - Hedwigs Theme
John Williams - The Phantom Menace
Anything from The Lord of The Rings soundtrack

Any other great movie soundtracks I could possibly write to? =]

·
Registered
982 Posts
PMartelly said:
Ok, so I know we've discussed songs we write to, but one particular thing I like to do is write to movie soundtracks.

I've already overplayed:
Danny Elfman - Alice's Theme
John Williams - Hedwigs Theme
John Williams - The Phantom Menace
Anything from The Lord of The Rings soundtrack

Any other great movie soundtracks I could possibly write to? =]
I do recommend Keep Holdin' On by Avril Lavigne(sp?). It's part of the soundtrack of Eragon.

That and May it Be(from the Lord of the Rings soundtrack) are the only songs from sound tracks that I ever listen to.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ryne Billings said:
I do recommend Keep Holdin' On by Avril Lavigne(sp?). It's part of the soundtrack of Eragon.

That and May it Be(from the Lord of the Rings soundtrack) are the only songs from sound tracks that I ever listen to.
Avril also wrote a song for Alice In Wonderland called "Alice". =]
The Inheritance cycle is one of my favorite series! New book coming out soon. Whoo! :D

A.S., I'm definitely checking it out!

·
Registered
982 Posts
PMartelly said:
Avril also wrote a song for Alice In Wonderland called "Alice". =]
The Inheritance cycle is one of my favorite series! New book coming out soon. Whoo! :D
I pre-ordered Inheritance the day it was announced. :D

I'm just not a big listener of music, though I need to start listening to some in a few minutes. I've gone too many days without writing. I won't make my triple extended schedule if I don't get to work on it.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ryne Billings said:
I pre-ordered Inheritance the day it was announced. :D

I'm just not a big listener of music, though I need to start listening to some in a few minutes. I've gone too many days without writing. I won't make my triple extended schedule if I don't get to work on it.
LMAO, Borders sent me an e-mail super early in the morning announcing it and I nearly hyperventilated. I had tickets to see him in person & get my copy of Brisingr signed, but I couldn't go at the last minute. That day seriously irritates me to no end. lol

And I haven't been writing lately either. Finals in Biochemistry to worry about. =/

·
Registered
982 Posts
PMartelly said:
LMAO, Borders sent me an e-mail super early in the morning announcing it and I nearly hyperventilated. I had tickets to see him in person & get my copy of Brisingr signed, but I couldn't go at the last minute. That day seriously irritates me to no end. lol

And I haven't been writing lately either. Finals in Biochemistry to worry about. =/
Our semester ended May 13th, and I don't go during the Summer semester. I don't have any good reasons *coughs* Kindle Boards and Twitter *coughs* to not write.

Anyways, Christopher Paolini was one of my major inspirations to go through with my dream to become an author. If he could do it so young, then why couldn't I? That was my thinking, at least.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ryne Billings said:
Anyways, Christopher Paolini was one of my major inspirations to go through with my dream to become an author. If he could do it so young, then why couldn't I? That was my thinking, at least.
Agreed. He was my favorite author for a long time, and he was a major part of the reason I started really writing.
He would go the extra mile for Eragon (he even dressed up as characters and went to high schools... talk about bravery!).

·
Registered
982 Posts
PMartelly said:
Agreed. He was my favorite author for a long time, and he was a major part of the reason I started really writing.
He would go the extra mile for Eragon (he even dressed up as characters and went to high schools... talk about bravery!).
And he self-published before finally getting picked up by Knopf.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just listened to all the songs posted in this thread, and let me say, I'm loving 'em! Keep 'em coming!

And, for those of you who have never listened to "Alice's Theme" (Yes, I am a HUGE Tim Burton fan):

·
Registered
179 Posts
You can't go wrong with the John Williams Collection. I think I prefer Disc 2 over 1 but they're both good stuff.

Also, Transformers the Movie. I'm talking about the 1986 animated movie with 80s rock and Stan Bush.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I like Clint Mansell. From epic to haunting, his works are brilliant.
Movies with his music: Requiem for a Dream, The Fountain, Moon (all underrated movies for some reason)

Someone probably already mentioned Hans Zimmer.

Another suggestion:

The film Master and Commander features "Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Talis" by Vaughan Williams. Awesome epic background music.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I love soundtracks. Love, love them. To write on them or just listen to them. My favorite composers are: Hans Zimmer, James Horner, Howard Shore and Uematsu Nobuo. And my favorite soundtracks are:
The Last Of The Mohicans (I like to put 1, 2, 3 and 6 on replay)
Braveheart (first three songs, The Princess pleads for Wallace's Life and End Credits give me the chils)
Bleach Original Soundtrack 3 (with Spanish undertones)
KUROSHITSUJI
Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children (prefect for writing action scenes)

I also like The Lord of the Rings soundtracks, they are great.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
It depends on the mood you want to be in while you're writing. Music evokes moods like little else can.

Two I like are:

The Bridge at Remagen (main theme)

·
Registered
571 Posts
YES, Last of the Mohicans, Diva, Gladiator are great soundtracks.
I also love Dances With Wolves, DaVinci Code, Out of Africa, A Fairy Tale, Shakespeare in Love, Sophie's Choice. So many more.
And believe it or not, Halo Reach, the vid game soundtrack, is great to write to...

·
Registered
989 Posts
The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover is my favorite soundtrack to write to (if anyone knows that movie, come here; I want to shake your hand. :p). It's Michael Nyman, and I love his stuff.

I also love anything Hans Zimmer or Danny Elfman.

Bryan R. Dennis said:
The film Master and Commander features "Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Talis" by Vaughan Williams. Awesome epic background music.
My sister is a music major and she recently studied Thomas Talis and lost it when she got to study that Fantasia; it's one of her favorite pieces ever in any film, and I have to agree, it is incredibly epic.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts