Kindle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
975 Posts
lacymarankevinmichael said:
As we all know, it's hard for your book to get discovered if no one knows it exists. I recently did some research into some niche sub categories and I thought I'd share some of the top ones I found. I've included the overall sales rank of the #1 book in that subcategory, the overall sales rank of the #100 book in that category, the number of current free books in that category, and the current number of hot new releases in that category. I hope this helps some of you out.

travel/us
rank of #1 book=222
rank of #100 books=78,000
15 free books
94 new releases

fiction/comics and graphic novels/comic strips and cartoons
rank of #1 book=2800
rank of #100 book=150,000
9 free
36 new releases

juvenile fiction/literature/love and romance
rank of #1 book=1300
rank of #100 book=989,000
0 free
0 hot new releases

juvenile fiction/arts and music
rank of #1 book=579
rank of #100 book=210,000
1 free
29 new releases

juvenile fiction/religious fiction
rank of #1 book=119
rank of #100=73,000
9 free books
38 new releases

travel/us/regions/west
rank of #1 book=222
rank of #100 book-133,000
8 free
29 new releases

travel/us/states/california
rank of #1 book=184,000
rank of #100 book=1 million
0 free
0 new releases

fiction/science fiction/short stories
rank of #1 book=434
rank of #100 book=58,000
over 100 free books

fiction/thrillers/political
rank of #1 book=41
rank of #100 book-337,000
0 free
5 new releases

fiction/mystery/cozy
rank of #1 book=910
rank of #100 book=95,000
6 free
15 new releases

ficton/horror/dark fantasy
rank fo #1 book=1900
rank of #100 book=119,000
16 free
8 new releases

humor/form/parodies
rank of #1 book=424
rank of #100 book=89,000
22 free books
45 new releases

arts & photography/television
rank of #1 book=2100
rank of #100 book=104,000
1 free book
33 new releases

teen/religion and spirituality
Overall sales rank of #1 book in category=815
Overall sales rank of #100 book in category=77,000
Number of free books in the category=2
Number of hot new releases in the category=30

teen/historical fiction
rank of #1 book=828
rank of #100 book=48,000
8 free
58 new releases
That's interesting. Thanks for posting that. Seems like that fiction/horror/dark fantasy would be particularly good to target. I imagine there are some horror and some fantasy writers out there whose work could fall into that without stretching much.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
John Daulton said:
That's interesting. Thanks for posting that. Seems like that fiction/horror/dark fantasy would be particularly good to target. I imagine there are some horror and some fantasy writers out there whose work could fall into that without stretching much.
Me! Except that Dark Fantasy isn't an option when uploading to KDP. I have lamented this.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I had this same idea several months ago, as my Templar Chronicles series falls squarely into Dark Fantasy.  I had KDP Support move my three books into that category.  Ever since, all three books have been in the top 50-100 (varies) in Dark Fantasy but the kicker is that sales dropped considerably.  The only change was the category, so the less common category isn't being searched as much and therefore books in it actually have a LOWER rate of visibility.

-Joe

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Jnassise said:
I had this same idea several months ago, as my Templar Chronicles series falls squarely into Dark Fantasy. I had KDP Support move my three books into that category. Ever since, all three books have been in the top 50-100 (varies) in Dark Fantasy but the kicker is that sales dropped considerably. The only change was the category, so the less common category isn't being searched as much and therefore books in it actually have a LOWER rate of visibility.

-Joe
Oh! That is something to consider.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The one thing I'll point out is these niche categories are for discovery.  My books can't hang in fiction/humor or romance/paranormal because they're too broad of categories with too much competition.  If you're already selling thousands of books a month, these categories probably won't be a help to you.  But if you're selling three or four books a day, they probably will. 

·
Super Moderator
10,096 Posts
I think many authors don't realize that not all categories are directly accessible through the KDP dashboard. Some you get into by writing to KDP and asking to be put in. Why they do it that way really beats me -- seems like a whole lot of extra work for them.

Fantasy>Series is one of these. It's quite small: http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/digital-text/158583011/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_kstore_2_5_last . Notice that there are only 18 free books in it altogether! Bizarre. The only way into that category is to write and ask.

I really, really wish we could have more than two categories. The trad pub books seem to be permitted more.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
I'm starting to wonder if those sub-categories don't have something to do with the tags you pick. I say this because my cookbook/memoir, Fry Bacon. Add Onions has been ranked in sub-categories such as Bread, Soup, Family History, Middle Atlantic, and Pickles & Preserves. I KNOW those are not sub-categories on KDP!

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The other thing is that if you're in a small subcategory, if your book starts selling well, you get lumped in with the larger more general category, giving you three or sometimes four categories even though you only picked two on your dashboard.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Kathleen Valentine said:
I'm starting to wonder if those sub-categories don't have something to do with the tags you pick. I say this because my cookbook/memoir, Fry Bacon. Add Onions has been ranked in sub-categories such as Bread, Soup, Family History, Middle Atlantic, and Pickles & Preserves. I KNOW those are not sub-categories on KDP!
My book got put into the new teen category because of tags (I think).

I just looked at my own categories and decided to change them. I went from "general -> gay" and "children -> general" to "children -> issues -> homosexuality" and "children -> issues -> depression"
In my original categories I was thinking as a writer, where would I get the post exposure and where would I possibly get the most sales?
But with 7 sales over almost a month (first month of release) I stopped looking at it as a writer and am now trying to look at it more as a reader. I wondered what I used to look for at the library when looking for books. "homosexuality", "Anorexia" and "lesbians" were words I used to browse for at the library to find new books.
So now I'm down to smaller categories but I'm hoping that it might actually get me more exposure to the right type of readers. I can always change it next month ;)

·
Registered
613 Posts
I'm going to ask what is likely a stupid question....

When selecting the categories, I only get 2 levels.  For instance, for my short stories, I can get no more in depth than Fiction/Short Stories or Fiction/Occult and Supernatural.  Is there some trick to get more detailed than that?

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
bnapier said:
I'm going to ask what is likely a stupid question....

When selecting the categories, I only get 2 levels. For instance, for my short stories, I can get no more in depth than Fiction/Short Stories or Fiction/Occult and Supernatural. Is there some trick to get more detailed than that?
Nope, but some categories are simply split even deeper, some are just 2 levels and some are 3 or more.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts