Kindle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I am a Mental Health Counselor who is taking a two year sabbatical to be a stay at home Dad for our three year old son.  I historically have kept 5 or 6 books going at the same time in order to have reading material in the margains of my life (bed side table, cars, office, privy, etc...).  I finally was able to open my Kindle on Dec 15 (early Christmas his year).  My wife could not believe I was able to wait that long as it was purchased back in September.  I absolutely love it!  Problem is I have gone from a user to a pusher in less than three weeks.  People want to see what it is and whamo ... I put it in their hands and they are sold.  I added the cheapo leisure cover so I can read as I run/walk each day without sweating into it and now I find myself pushing out for that extra mile so I can keep reading (don't worry it is a closed track at the gym I am not wandering into traffic).  I must confess a guilty little pleasure ... I carry it into Barnes and Noble so my son can play at the Thomas Table and I browse the DTBs until I find something interesting and then search my kindle to buy it.  Maybe one day I will be able to avoid the need for the "feel" of a freshly minted - printed book or the sweet smell of a used book store but until then ... I will covertly carry my Kindle into those old haunts where my love for books began ... just for old times sake.  Good Reading All!

Phil

PS  My wife wants one for her birthday now ... the family that Kindles together ...

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Hi Phil - Nice to have you here.  Congrats on being a stay at home dad!!  My nephew did that and his kids are so well behaved and intelligent and cute and ---- but y'all know aunties can be almost as bad as grannies (right grannies?)

There are several kindle couples here so just join on in.  Glad you don't buy any DTBs just browse 'em.

Welcome

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
You are among kindred spirits.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Welcome.

My husband and I both have kindles.  It's the only way to go.  I would recommend buying your wife her own ASAP.  The fights over the kindle can get pretty nasty. :D

I haven't touched a DTB in 3 1/2 month and haven't missed it one bit.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Hi Phil and welcome!

I still visit B&N and walk the aisles and pretty much come back here with my list and order from the board here ;)

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Hello Phil and welcome! My sil is a SAHD as well. He is a graphic designer and does freelance work so he has the best of both worlds... staying home with my precious grandkids and designing websites! Glad to have you here.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Wow, you are talented to be able to jog and read a book.  I would have a hard time adjusting with all of the bouncing up and down as I ran.  :D

I still read DTB's because I have so many of them that I have not read yet sitting on shelves. 

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The jogging is facilitated well by the large fonts available ... I will resist reading while driving though ... Kansas, Oklahoma, Florida ... it might be possible with those straight stretches of open road :)  I love downloading the paper every morning and reading it as I warm up by walking.  If I am sprinting ... I just hold the Kindle like a relay baton.

Thank You all for the warm welcome!

Phil 

·
Registered
869 Posts
Welcome, Phil -

Glad to have you aboard!

I love Kindling so much I'm reluctant to show it off to my coworkers, much less people in the streets :-\

Your experiences in "evangelizing" is/has been echoed by many others here at KB.

If you'd like to try to get one earlier for you wife, sign up for the Refurb alert at the top of the page.  If you are fast enough, you will get one quicker, cheaper, and just as good as new than being on the wait list.

Hope to see your posts around here,

Marci

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Phil--

Welcome to Kindleboards!  Congratulations on your Christmas Kindle (a bit early).

We've got lots of book recommendations here--free books, bargain books and favorite books!  Check out the Book Corner!  AND we've got Book Klubs!

Betsy

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Welcome Aboard Phil.Smith,

Glad your enjoying your Kindle and have made it a part of your life.

Nice to meet you,

-sailor *click*

1 - 15 of 15 Posts