Kindle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

I've been lurking this forum for about four days now, particularly because I'm obsessed with everything Kindle right now! :) I was really shy to join and start posting because I'm not much of a forum person (flaming really scares me!), but everyone seems to be pretty nice on here. :)

Anyways, I purchased my refurb on eBay just a couple of days ago and I'm patiently waiting for it now. The scary thing is, I don't even have a tracking number for my package. The seller initially told me that USPS International Priority Mail does come with tracking, but then when he shipped it he found out from the post office that it doesn't. He says that he has never had problems with shipping though, which is good. The seller also has 100% positive feedback. The thing is, now I really feel helpless! My kindle is supposed to arrive by December 15 or 16, but I don't want to get my hopes up, so I'm expecting it to come by the 20th. Postal system here in the Philippines is really disorganized.

I bought my refurb on eBay for a bit more than the retail price on Amazon. Ordinary people who don't understand what it's like to be put on a 2.5-month waiting list would call me crazy, but, for me, it was my only option! I originally asked my sister who is in the States to order it for me, but then Amazon was giving me a hard time about using her credit card on my account. This, coupled with the fact that I really didn't want to wait until Feb to get my Kindle, really pushed me to just order one on eBay - even if it did cost more. I hope people here will understand where I'm coming from!

I'm so excited about getting my Kindle! I know I won't get to make use of Whispernet while I'm here in the Philippines, but I'll be heading back to the States in June. I'll take advantage of it there. :)

Glad to have found this place! Feels like home! :)

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Welcome, Melissa! So glad to have you here. Our internationally-based Kindlers are growing...Mexico, Germany, and now the Philippines!

Please feel free to ask questions. This is a nice, friendly helpful group and we try to keep the flames and snarkiness so well under control as to be non-existent. That's the goal, at least.  :)

L

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Welcome Melissa! No flaming allowed here  ;), we really do have a helpful, friendly bunch. Feel free to ask any questions and browse the boards as you patiently  ??? wait on your delivery. There are 8 free books in The Book Corner you can order and they would be waiting for you when you get back to the states in June & have WN. Looking forward to reading more of your posts. We all share a passion for reading & Kindling so of course we understand your eBay purchase!

Linda

·
Super Moderator
67,245 Posts
Hi Melissa. . .I hope you didn't pay too much more than retail, but if it's worth it to you, well, you're the only one that counts!  In any event let us know when your new baby arrives safely.  It's probably NOT registered since you've bought it from a re-seller but you can do so as soon as you get it.  Once registered, you'll be able to take advantage of the free books from Amazon.  You should be able to download them and transfer via USB if you don't want to wait until June!  There are also tons of classics from other free sites. Check out the Book Corner.

Good Luck!
ann

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow! I'm so relieved to see four posts here already! My biggest fear was that nobody would reply. Hehe. I worry far too much. It's not good for my health!

Thanks for all the warm welcomes! I'm so glad I decided to finally register here. :)

Ann, I did pay a bit more than retail price, but I definitely wouldn't go as far as paying the $630 that some are paying on eBay. Yes, I've seen the auction prices go that high! It really is crazy. (But I do think it's sweet that some people are willing to spend that much just so they can get their loved one a Kindle for Christmas.)

As far as downloading books is concerned, I plan to just transfer my content via USB since I don't have Whispernet. I have some eBooks that I purchased to read on my laptop (which I never got around to doing because it really is no fun at all) and I plan to convert these for my Kindle. I will definitely take everyone's suggestions and download some free books as well. :)

Again, thank you all for making me feel welcome! :)

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Welcome Aboard Melissa,

I hope you are enjoying all the wonderful Filipino Foods there, while you can, before you head back to the States.

Don't worry about not getting a reply, our biggest joy is talking to each other here and pretty much if you speak,
someone will give you a shout back.

Nice to meet you, waving atcha from California,

-sailor

·
Registered
384 Posts
Welcome Melissa,  I will keep my fingers crossed that your Kindle arrives safely and on time.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Welcome Melissa,

You don't have to worry about not getting any responses to your posts here. Usually I have to worry about time to keep up with the posts! This is a great bunch of people.

I too have paid extra for things I wanted sooner than later. Sometimes its just worth the little extra.

Let us know when your Kindle arrives and what you think of her/or him....

theresam

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Hi and welcome Melissa. Forget about flaming...I'd worry more about being able to keep up with the forum :p Anyhow, it's good to have you here and hopefully we'll help you pass the time until you Kindle arrives :)

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Welcome to the Kindleboards and congratulations on your soon-to-arrive Kindle!  Keep us posted, we love being on Kindlewatch!

Betsy

·
Registered
869 Posts
Hi, Melissa -

So glad you posted here!  That's great  :)

Do let us know re shipping date so Kindle Watch can begin (unless it's started already?)  We love Kindle Arrival Day stories!

Do check out the Book Corner & join up in one of the book clubs,

Marci

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Marci said:
Hi, Melissa -

So glad you posted here! That's great :)

Do let us know re shipping date so Kindle Watch can begin (unless it's started already?) We love Kindle Arrival Day stories!

Do check out the Book Corner & join up in one of the book clubs,

Marci
Hi Marci,

Thanks for the welcome greeting! :)

My Kindle shipped out on Monday, December 8. According to the eBay seller, USPS International Priority Mail should take 5-6 days, which would make my Kindle's expected date of arrival December 14. The Philippine postal service is not all that reliable, so I don't want to get my hopes up. :( I'll start worrying if it's not here by the 20th.

I'm finding the wait almost unbearable! I hate not being able to track where my Kindle is. :(

My greatest fear is that the package won't even get to me! So far I've had four packages shipped here from the US. Only three have made it to me safely! :( (I did get a replacement for the lost package though.) I guess I took a big risk having it shipped here in the first place, but my thinking is that the worst thing that could happen is that the seller would have to ship me another one (perhaps using a courier).

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Welcome Melissa -  I have no idea how to use the Whispernet as I am in Mexico, but downloading to the kindle via the usb cable is easy.  One thing I like about it too, is I can "delete" off the kindle but don't lose the book because I keep a copy on my computer.

Enjoy your reading the books that don't cost an arm and a leg, you will recoop the cost of your kindle in no time!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts