Kindle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first post - just registered! So - have had the Kindle 1 since it was released; ordered a DX maybe 4 days ago, shipping on the 26th I hope.

I've just discovered what the sun fade issue is (my K1 has it, I just discovered) - probably out of exchange period at this point. (Read all of my eBooks when I got the K1, then it sat in a shelf for 6 months when I got too busy to do recreational reading with work). Just dug it out again, and got re-hooked. I'm weird - I read the Baen David Weber Honor Harrington series, Terry Pratchett, and Tom Clancy series at least once yearly. Updated availability of many of these since the last time I was kindling has a lot to do with my enthusiasm. Bought all of the Clancys and Pratchetts as soon as I realized they were available.

As I wait impatiently, I have a request for a review picture - someone should load up the same books on a K1/K2 and a DX on the same font, set them side by side, and take the picture - and then underline with paint or something where the last sentence falls on the K1, and where that same sentence appears on the DX. I think this would be a great way to understand just how much more text fits on the screen. (I bought the dx because I'm a VERY fast reader, and I want more screen text for novels so I'm flipping less. My GF sometimes wonders if there's a woodpecker in the house as I tap madly on the next page button during a Clancy.) Think I'm going to like the DX buttons - handling the K1 without turning a page is an issue, and I'm always picking it up by the screen...

Pet peeve: Tom Clancy novels formatted badly - I can deal with the occasional "1" for "I", but the clancy novels also use double paragraph breaks after every single paragraph - and since clancy uses a lot of this style:

"Hi." Said Bob.

"Hi back," said Jack.

"Nice day!" Said betty...

and so on - seems half the screen is wasted.

Obsession - having every Honor, Pratchett, and clancy novel with me constantly! When will the complete Enders game saga be available? Grrr.

Ordered the Octo cover for the DX, and it got here early (based on K1 experience, probably gonna read a naked DX.) Size of the cover alone shows the DX is a little smaller than the pictures would seem.

Odd fact - I've been a fan of ebooks since I put the HitchHickers Guide to the Galaxy on my palm pilot 1000 :)

Twy

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hi!  I'm a brand new K2 owner and I'm loving it!  Let us know all about your DX when you get it in.  I want my DH to get a DX so he will quit stealing mine in the morning so he can read his newspaper, LOL!  I tried reading an ebook years ago on my palm pilot but it was so small and I didn't like the backlighting. 

I agree it is discouraging to  get poorly-formatted books by large publishers.  I just finished the 9 books in the Sookie Stackhouse weries  and even the newest one had horrible formatting.  Their problem was mostly from words with no spaces between them and words with spaces within them so it would look like this "HiBobsaid Bet ty.  N ice da youtside tod ay!"  YUCK!  When I spend $9 for a book I expect a little more attention to detail!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Hey there! Welcome to the boards. ;D  And I completely agree with the badly formatted paragraphs. Those tick me off a good bit. My J.D. Robb ebooks have a few dozen pages like that. I don't understand it, because it's not like that in print. Oh well, still love my K2.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! Stumbled across the board while trying to read everything kindle related :) Ok, a few more thoughts:

1. What is DH? Hoping Dear Hubby... Dead Hubby sounds odd, although I do want to be buried with my kindle :)
2. Has anyone ever gotten an updated version of a book? Do they send you a notification, or you just download again one day and discover the updates?
3. Is there some trick to sorting on the K1? I have some of the baen Honor Harrington books; sadly, the .prc format didn't include the author correctly, so they show title only on the Kindle. I went as far as downloading the HTML files they offer, and running that through the Mobi converter, carefully setting titles and author in a way I thought would make sense to the sort operation. I gave them all authors (last name first) and named the books Honor 01 On Basilisk Station, Honor 02 blah blah blah - and the kindle sorts them as:
Honor 05 ...
Honor 06...
misc book here
Honor 01...
Honor 02...
when choosing sort by Author - I thought it would sort by author, and then alphabetically by name of book. In lieu of folders, I'd like to get the darn series books to line up by author, then in order of series. Any tips/links to this discussion if it's already been covered?
4. Anyone know of a good app for editing the metadata of an existing unencrypted .prc? Again, the baen library, huge number of free books - I'd like to take a stab at correcting the title/author metadata without re-encoding the text.
5. I'm a web programmer/college instructor. Got a small project running. How would an ideal RSS aggregator page work for you on your kindle?

Twy

Update - I guess calibre is the app for me, trying to edit metadata now. Still curious to see how the sorting will pan out.

·
Super Moderator
67,287 Posts
Here's a great thread with tips on using the board. It has links to FAQ board questions including the acronyms we use for shorthand.

http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,231.msg2068.html#msg2068

Generally, books don't update automatically. But if you have one badly formatted, or you know an updated version has come out, you can call Amazon (Kindle CS) explain the situation and they'll usually refund you for the first one, delete it, and you can re-buy the update. Having said that, Hitchhikers Guide came down randomly last week, even though I'd already bought it 3 weeks before that. . .not sure if that was an updated version or not.

You can sort by author, title, or most recent, but there's no specific secondary sort. Author is problematical because publishers are not consistent in formatting author info. I find title most useful when I'm looking for something specific because I usually remember that. I keep it on most recent usually so the book I'm currently reading is at the top. You can put notes on the title or first chapter to indicate what number of a series, but this isn't going to show on the home page.

Check the Tips & Tricks forum and/or search on mobi2mobi in the forum and you'll find threads on editing metadata.

No clue on question #5. . . .kindlefeeder and feedbooks both allow RSS feeds to be bundled and downloaded to the Kindle but beyond that I have no idea how they work.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I have all of David Weber's books on my Kindle and I agree that when transferring them using USB not all of the data came over. I ended up solving that by paying the $.15 per MB to have them sent directly to my Kindle. All the data came over, of course you still need to know the order of the books but that is never a problem for me with his books. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Going to just use a text file with the series order in it... Seems easiest!

Hurry up, dx... if only they could apply whispernet to delivery of the dx itself!

·
Registered
460 Posts
Welcome to the forums, you've found a great place.  ;D As for the formatting issues, yeah, they can be a bit annoying, and hopefully these type of issues are minimized in futures.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Welcome!

I have a request for a review picture - someone should load up the same books on a K1/K2 and a DX on the same font, set them side by side, and take the picture - and then underline with paint or something where the last sentence falls on the K1, and where that same sentence appears on the DX. I think this would be a great way to understand just how much more text fits on the screen.
That is a great idea!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts