Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope you're all doing well. I am posting from Kandahar, Afghanistan where I work as a air traffic control contractor. I just purchased two K2's; one for me and one for my wife. My wife has them in the US right now and she is completely in love with hers! I will have to wait until my next vacation in May to get personally acquainted with mine. :-\ However, I'm giving my wife suggestions and she is loading mine up so that I'll have plenty to read when I get back over here.
Since I fly back and forth across the world twice a year, the Kindle will be a wonderful thing to have on those long trans-Atlantic flights! I can't wait to get my hands on it! Hopefully, I'll be able to download additional books via my laptop once I'm back over here. Obviously, Afghanistan is slightly outside of the Whispernet coverage area!
Look forward to meeting some of you on the K-board in the near future!

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Linda Cannon-Mott said:
Welcome Big Al! :) Congrats on the Kindles for you and your wife. :) Thanks for your service to our country and hope you get home soon!
Ditto to Linda's coment! Hope you check in her on the boards when you can. Lots of good book suggestions and Authors that will keep you stocked up in books for a long while! oh and good conversation!

theresam

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
Greetings and Welcome, Big Al! You are just a little further away than most of our members ;) I am sure the K2 will make the long trips and the away time more enjoyable, Keep us updated
on your kindle experience, and tell your wife she is welcome here as well.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Welcome Big Al

Has your wife join yet? If not please tell her to join. Not only will she have your Kindle loaded with books, but he will be the best dressed in Kandahar.

Stay safe and once again WELCOME!!

·
Registered
615 Posts
Big Al said:
... My wife has them in the US right now and she is completely in love with hers! I will have to wait until my next vacation in May to get personally acquainted with mine. :-\ However, I'm giving my wife suggestions and she is loading mine up so that I'll have plenty to read when I get back over here.
Maybe it's not too long to wait (you must be a very patient person), but she could mail it to you and you could still read it where you are, now.

Hopefully, I'll be able to download additional books via my laptop once I'm back over here. Obviously, Afghanistan is slightly outside of the Whispernet coverage area!
Look forward to meeting some of you on the K-board in the near future!
Yes, you are likely using a U.S. credit card from the U.S., so I'd *think* you could download add'l books via your laptop where you are. No?

I may be all wet on this, but that's my understanding. Leslie and others? What's the scoop?

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Hi Big Al - Thank You!

Yes you can download any books you want via your laptop, I don't have whispernet either and I have loaded lots and lots of books on my K1.  It also seems as if last year we had some other folks "in harm's way" getting kindles, so you might be able to see some really "in the wild", let us know.

Your wife will be very welcome, we have lots of Kindle Kouples here.  We can also give you lots of suggestions for books, free and otherwise to read.

Keep us posted on what's going on!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks to all of you for your very kind responses! I appreciate all of you taking time to welcome me and to offer the great suggestions. I will definitely enjoy being a part of this forum!

For those that ask, I'm sure my wife has read most of your replies already and I believe she is very eager to join you!!

As she stated (from Steel Magnolia's) "she loves her Kindle more than her luggage!"  ;D

·
Registered
216 Posts
Welcome Big Al!
My husband is also military, Army though. He will be joining you over there in a couple of weeks.

Mrs Big Al told me you are a James Patterson fan too. I sampled "Run For Your Life" and got so hooked on it, I bought it immediately. You'll love it.

Have fun on the boards, they can be addicting though.   

·
Registered
124 Posts
Welcome Big Al!

Stay safe, and I pray you are able to come home soon.  A close family friend has just moved to her hubby's new posting in Fort Meyers, FL - her husband just completed AF Air Traffic Controller training -- she's happy they didn't end up in Oklahoma (is it true that's AF Air Traffic Controller Hell?!)

You are going to love Kindling, and we are going to love you and Mrs. Big Al.  We will keep her company while you are away, and keep you company too!

God bless you, and thank you for your service to us all.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts