Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. Like a lot of the introductions I've read here I'm both an avid reader, kindle owner, and budding writer. But none of that makes me particularly unique so what does?

Well... I brew a mean Belgian IPA and can pretty well clone most of my favorite restaurant dishes. I read about 100k words a day and tend to do all of my writing on scrap paper (which I end up losing) or on my tablet. And last? I'm a 28-year old blue collar member of middle management, going back to college for Microbiology next year, and a doting father and husband. Is any of that particularly important? Not really, but it does provide perspective on how I see the world. We each bring something unique to the conversation and I'd love to find out more about each of you as well.

Now that you know a bit about who I am that steals leaves on vital question: why sign up here?

In short? My mother and wife conspired against me and my book hoarding ways and bought me a Kindle two years ago. In that time I've completely converted to eBooks and I've discovered more A-grade indie novelists since then than I did my entire life before. That alone would have been enough bring me here but to top things off my wife seems to think I have an inkling of talent for weaving stories together. Everything I've written so far has been fanfiction for Mass Effect (because Bioware messed up the ending on that one and I wanted better), The Reality Dysfunction (Because I love that universe and wanted to know what happened after the main story), or Percy Jackson and the Olympians (Because until Riordan finished the Greek Gods storyline I loved the series and wanted to see how things would play out with one plot change).

Obviously, working with other peoples' IP this isn't something I can make a living at. And, as much as I love those universes, I increasingly find myself daydreaming of new characters, new scenes and new worlds to share. But in order to make that happen I need a push, or at least a community to feel beholden to. I'm hoping that can be you because nothing can keep me on my daily 2000+ word goal better than being surrounded by like-minded individuals.

I'll very likely be slow to get started with any of my own "New Topic" posts, but as I get used to the site and find my way around I hope to contribute on the Writers' Cafe sub-forum as much as I can.

So again, howdy everyone. I look forward to getting to know all of you.

·
Registered
4,643 Posts
Sounds like you're quite the reading machine, Dustin; it should definitely help with the writing. Welcome to the boards.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Welcome!

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Welcome to this community of readers and writers. My name's Edward, and I look forward to getting to know you, too.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Welcome!  I'm new here too (3 wks).  I am loving it!  So much support, so many resources!  In just a few weeks, I have already learned a lot.  Enjoy your time here.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Hi Dustin,

Welcome to the boards!  Nice to meet you.  100k words a day! Wow.  Enjoy the community!  :)

Lee

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all the warm welcomes everyone. I'm starting to get the hang of the board and finding subjects of interest with the "Search" function pretty well.  I'm sure after a while I'll un out of search queries and just start pestering you all with any questions I may have. ;D

·
Registered
216 Posts
Here's another warm welcome! The boards are a warm and friendly place, welcome to the community

1 - 20 of 21 Posts