Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there! I just joined the boards today and I wanted to detail the first month of my publishing journey. I will be providing sales and KU reads. I’d like to get any feedback on the numbers for a newbie author. Of course, I am happy with the numbers and I realize it’s subjective, but I’d appreciate the feedback.

I have published before with a small/indie press years ago, but those books are out of print and the publishing house is defunct. A couple of years ago I published something on Smashwords. I even paid for advertising on FB and an editor. LOL...I sold a grand told of 5 books at .99.

This time I decided to go in the opposite direction. I priced my book at $3.99. I did not advertise or run any promos via Amazon. I did not pay for an editor. I used Grammarly and the read-aloud function in MS Word. I paid $35 for a cover on Etsy. The only thing I did do was update my FB page and I added my book to a few lists at Goodreads for my genre.

Worth the Risk was published on August 20. For that I month I made about $100 month. I sold 10 books and had 16,691 KU reads. My KENP is 302.

So far for September, I have sold 28 books and have 60,602 KU reads. According to the estimator I’ve made about $335.

Okay, so that’s my journey so far. I am interested in your journey or opinion on sales and whatnot. Again, I’m happy with the numbers, but I am curious if other’s think they are good, marginal, or bad.

Thanks for your time!

·
Registered
573 Posts
Well done on publishing, Karen! Congrats on the book.

And well done on joining this forum, too. Lots of knowledgeable people on here, with a lot of collective experience.

I'm still a small-time author myself, but I wouldn't have even got as far as I have without the wisdom of more successful people on this forum.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Congrats and welcome!

Your book looks very good. It looks like you got a good thing going here. Stick around and check out past posts to learn more about marketing (ads, promos, newsletters,etc) - that's what I did. Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
12,220 Posts
I would call $100 above average for your first month of self-publishing, and it looks like your second month will be even better. Good decision to go with the $3.99 price point. I know that's scary, especially for a first book, but when it works it's worth it.

I am looking to gains some insight into how things and KDP work.

One of the main things to know is that frequent releases help keep sales rolling, while infrequent releases risk dropping the ball just when things were looking good. So keep up the good work and the momentum. Enjoy your success and then on to book 2 to do it all over again. :) Good luck!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That’s what I am thinking. I wish I was the type of prolific author who can write 7k a day, but me...1k-2k. Then my brain just shuts down.

I’m already a third of the way through the next book. The “goal” is to have published sooner rather than later.

LOL...I put a lot into the book. I was going charge $4.99

Thank you for your input. Much appreciated.

:D

·
Registered
247 Posts
Karen Monroe said:
Hey there! I just joined the boards today and I wanted to detail the first month of my publishing journey. I will be providing sales and KU reads. I'd like to get any feedback on the numbers for a newbie author. Of course, I am happy with the numbers and I realize it's subjective, but I'd appreciate the feedback.

I have published before with a small/indie press years ago, but those books are out of print and the publishing house is defunct. A couple of years ago I published something on Smashwords. I even paid for advertising on FB and an editor. LOL...I sold a grand told of 5 books at .99.

This time I decided to go in the opposite direction. I priced my book at $3.99. I did not advertise or run any promos via Amazon. I did not pay for an editor. I used Grammarly and the read-aloud function in MS Word. I paid $35 for a cover on Etsy. The only thing I did do was update my FB page and I added my book to a few lists at Goodreads for my genre.

Worth the Risk was published on August 20. For that I month I made about $100 month. I sold 10 books and had 16,691 KU reads. My KENP is 302.

So far for September, I have sold 28 books and have 60,602 KU reads. According to the estimator I've made about $335.

Okay, so that's my journey so far. I am interested in your journey or opinion on sales and whatnot. Again, I'm happy with the numbers, but I am curious if other's think they are good, marginal, or bad.

Thanks for your time!
Sounds great to me, Karen! keep writing. :) I've been way to long in getting my fourth book out there--not good. :(

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you. I lurked here before I published and the most valuable advice I read was to wait a bit before getting nervous. That’s why I waited to join.

I am curious about ads. I see the sponsored products for books on Amazon.com, but I usually only click on the books that appear within Kindle for the book I am reading. I hardly ever visit Amazon.com. All transactions are done in the app, and the ONLY time I go to the .com is to buy a book I can’t buy via Kindle... So frustrating.

I do believe more authors would have sales if you could actually buy via the Kindle app. Maybe someday....

·
Registered
565 Posts
Yep, like these nice people have said, congrats on the book.  Seriously.  It's a pretty fun ride to do the book thing, and I hope that it continues to add enjoyment to your life like it has done for a lot of people here.  I don't know, I think everyone has different experiences with the whole writer thing, but if nothing else, it's a trip of constant learning.  So, welcome to the odd world of ups, downs, good days, slow days, and hopefully a long line of future books that tell the story you want to tell.  The first step, the actually doing a thing, that's always the hardest.  Now that you've done it, it's just a matter of how you want to do a thing from here on out.  So, serious congrats because that's a lot further already than most anyone gets  ;D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well done. Don;t be concerned about small sales level (or perceived small sales level) at this stage.
I launched my first book in February with basically no promotion and sold 29 books that month - probably 5 of them were to friends/relatives!
I was happy as Larry to sell 29 books! In March I sold 31 books - good - nice and steady - then I sold 51 in April - 112 in May - still no promotion
The I published my 2nd book - half way through the month - boom - 150 that month - 400+ the next month
So don't be down on your sales so far.
If your book is in a series get that next one our ASAP!
Read the boards here - set up mailing list etc etc etc  but most of all - Just write and write and write enjoyable stories.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you!

Number one advice - keep writing.

You guys inspired me to push through my mental fatigue. Now back to the grind.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Congrats.

One small word of advice. if you are not using an editor, I suggest using something like ProWriting aid in addition to GRammarly. Grammarly is not perfect and misses some things.

Mark

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I feel silly asking this, but what is that?

Edit:

Okay, I looked it up. I had never heard of it before. I will be checking this out.

On a side note, I would love an editor, but the prices are out of my league.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Karen Monroe said:
I feel silly asking this, but what is that?

Edit:

Okay, I looked it up. I had never heard of it before. I will be checking this out.

On a side note, I would love an editor, but the prices are out of my league.
I try to offer affordable editing and proofreading options for authors. Check out my KB resource page and let me know if you have any questions about anything. Grammarly and PWA are nice but it doesn't hurt to at least have a proofread from human eyes to catch anything that might have slipped by.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Picky Cat Editing said:
I try to offer affordable editing and proofreading options for authors. Check out my KB resource page and let me know if you have any questions about anything. Grammarly and PWA are nice but it doesn't hurt to at least have a proofread from human eyes to catch anything that might have slipped by.
Thank you! Will do! And thank you for responding.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts