Kindle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...Which means lots of rain, and it means the Kindle currently working its way through the shipping system is going to be put to good use. Since I shall be an official member of the Kindle 2 community in about a week (or sooner if FedEx is nice) I decided to stop lurking and register.

I'm looking forward to the Kindle because I'm a reader (naturally) but I sort of lost my way a few years ago when I was in the book business. After managing a bookstore for a while, I just sort of got sick of books and needed a break from reading. I was already reading less (since getting married, in fact) but being in charge of a major bookstore before they sacked all of us and went out of business was sobering, infuriating, and really just spoiled my taste for books. This is interesting because I used to devour books; I skipped classes in high school to sit in the hallways, in the bleachers, or lay in the rafters of the theatre and read the latest novel I'd gotten my hands on. I failed a few classes because I was reading instead of attending. I passed most of my classes because I'd get the textbook on day one, read it cover-to-cover in the next day or two, and then show up to take all the tests (Interesting fact: in my school, if you did ZERO homework, but aced every test, you passed the class with a 'C')

Part of what put my off books was working with them every day in an environment that was mostly oppressive. I won't bore you with all of the details, but I will say that certain large brick & mortar retail book chains don't give a damn about books or what the loyal, regular customers want. They instead believe that "expanding" to sell more non-book items (knickknacks, toys, candy, food, etc.) is the key to success in the retail sector. When they closed our store, we had a lot of regulars express dismay that they would have to go to the "big" bookstore with the cafe, and that they didn't like that; They preferred going to a bookstore that focused mainly on books. Go figure!

So anyway, after working for both a big retail bookseller chain, and a small bargain book dealer, I have learned that the retail, brick & mortar, dead-tree codex-selling corporations have no love of books or the readers who do love books. I switched all my book buying over to Amazon, and haven't regretted it one bit. I still grab a codex from the library now and again, but I think the future is in paperless books. Whether it be the Kindle, or something entirely different, I can hear the clock ticking on the big retail chains, and inside I'm sort of happy about it.

I'm hoping to get back into my habit of reading several books per week, or at least several books within a month. If I can stick it to Borders, and Barnes & Noble in the process, that's just icing on the cake.

As for my tastes, I'm a fan of science fiction, drama, comedy, horror, and mysteries. I read some nonfiction, but not as frequently as I used to. Mostly, it's politics, philosophy, and technical (geeky) stuff.

My favorite books, in no particular order:

The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane by Laird Koenig
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick
Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie Flagg
The Guardians of the Flame (series) by Joel Rosenberg
The Princess Bride by William Goldman
Fletch Won (and the whole series) by Gregory McDonald
Wicked by Gregory Maguire
The Stand by Stephen King
Lullaby by Chuck Palahniuk
Rant by Chuck Palahniuk
The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams

I also read a few commercial scifi series books, but those tend to be lower quality reads these days. If I had to pick something out from that bunch, it would be Timothy Zahn's Star Wars books: Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising, and The Last Command.

And for the record, I read most of those before they were movies (Fried Green Tomatoes and The Princes Bride are the exceptions, and yes, the books are better.)

There seems to be a diverse group here in Kindleboards, and I hope my techie-geeky talents and tendency to peruse the Internet for every tidbit of information about things that interest me will be of help to others here. I've already made some friends (and enemies) in the Amazon boards, and I apologize in advance for my tendency to be wordy and outspoken. I'm a reader, and I'm a writer. Sometimes, the words just get away from me.

I want to close with a plug for Calibre (both for Mac and PC/Windows). I've been using it to convert some of my PDF books to mobi format (for use on my iPod touch, and now the Kindle 2), and I have to say it's a slick piece of software. It's truly on the way to being the iTunes of Kindle (in the good sense), and I encourage other Kindle owners to check it out and toss the creator a donation when you can. I'm not associated with him in any way, but I know a good application when I see one, and I think he deserves kudos.

That's it. Thanks for this community. It's always good to have a place to talk about things that interest us.

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
Greetings and Welcome, Nix Cadavre! Great intro. We are a pretty diverse group of readers here. Always room for another Kindler

·
Registered
426 Posts
Greetings from another Michigander.  I really wish the weather would decide to be wet or cold, but not both :)

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
Welcome.  Glad you decided to join. 
deb

·
Registered
599 Posts
Welcome to KB! I'm sure you will enjoy your Kindle!

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
Much as I love browsing in bookstores, I came to dislike the big chains too when I co-owned an independent children's bookstore for three years.  Parents and teachers would have long book lists, go to a chain store to buy all the easy-to-find ones at the superstore discount, then come to us so that we could special-order the one or two obscure books that the chain didn't carry.  And then they'd complain because we couldn't offer the same discounts (small independents don't get the same volume discounts from publishers, and the profit margin on books is tiny compared to other retail goods).  And THEN, when the second chain store opened within five miles and we went out of business, they came out in droves and wrote letters to the local paper saying how much they'd miss our store.  Harrumph.

Welcome  --  I just got here yesterday too  :)

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Hi Nix - Glad to have you here.  You will soon rediscover your love of reading as soon as you get your kindle.  But keep us up on what you are reading, sounds like you are a good one for suggestions.

Intinst didn't direct you to the Book Corner or the Book Klubs, be sure and go visit.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Welcome from a former Michigander, now a transplanted Floridian. You'll have a great time here!

Lynn L

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts