Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's a beautiful, sunny day in northern California. I feel great, so I decide to go outside and give myself a little kindle read. I'm excited, really excited. Okay, let's turn my Petit Livre on, and start reading an interesting article on The New Yorker about extinction. What!?! What's going on? Are the letters going extinct as well? Oh, no. My biggest fear has returned. The abominable sun showed no mercy to my Petit Livre, and decided to erase what I was reading. My joviality turns into rage, and now I have to read within the confines of my room.

Okay, I decide to call Amazon CS, and now I await a replacement. How many more replacements will I have to go through? This is my second one! I pre-ordered the DX as well to take with me if I decide to move to China, and I don't want to go through that problem with that one either. Unfortunately, there are no guarantees.

I have developed the oh-so-rare disease Sun-Kindle-itis. I don't care if my next Kindle will work under the sun's radiance, but I'm never going to read from it on a sunny day. I would rather use the text-to-speech feature instead. I'm downtrodden right now, but, hey, I know there are others who have suffered or continue to suffer from this rare disease as well. I'm here for you brother and sister. Wherever you are, I'm here for you.

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
ElLector!!!

So sorry to hear about your Kindle!  Be strong, if you persevere, you'll get a perfect one!  Keep us posted.

Betsy

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Oh bummer, that sucks!

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Have faith. It seems the newer ones coming are free of the sun disease. It took 5 for DD, but she struck gold. :)

·
Registered
321 Posts
My 1st and 2nd Kindles had this problem. My 3rd was worse so I kept my 2nd but it sucks not to be able to read in the sun, or in the car if the sun is streaming in  :-\.  I'm debating another switch - the last few were new & I think a refurbished might be better as it will have been checked over (but in sunlight? who knows?). 

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm confused, was your Kindle able to read in the sun in the past but now has developed the problem over time?  I thought they were bad from the start or good to go from the start?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Crodley said:
I'm confused, was your Kindle able to read in the sun in the past but now has developed the problem over time? I thought they were bad from the start or good to go from the start?
When I got my first Kindle, I couldn't run the test because first, I was never aware or thought of ever having that problem, and second, it was very cloudy during that period, so there was no way to figure that problem out. It happened by chance when I decided to read on a sunny day. Now, when I got my first replacement, I initially ran the sun test, and didn't see any significant problems until, a few months later, I started to notice a few changes, but not worthy enough for a replacement. Today, however, I confirmed it.

What's interesting is that I spoke to an Amazon CS representative today, and she told me that they don't know the cause to the problem, but is aware of it. "Are you seriously kidding me?!?" That was what I thought when she gave me that answer.

So, no, I don't believe (can't give a straight answer) that it should be bad from the start. That's a good point, though. I'm sorry that I couldn't give you a clear-cut answer. If Amazon CS couldn't give me a knowledgeable answer, I would be much less qualified to give you a clear or correct answer as well. I think that sucks, and as I have previously posted, I'm not going to read under the sun again. I would rather not take the risk.

I think I'm going to have to call my next Kindle Vampirci.

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
What is up with Amazon's quality control? Seriously. Who ever it is who manufactures the screens needs to do something about their quality. This happened frequently enough that there is a problem in their system.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
You have the whitest teeth.

Melissa

Edited to add something about your actual post: I'm very lucky not to have had the sun problem at all. I read outside at least 3 times a week. I think mine actually shows up more in the sun.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
meljackson said:
You have the whitest teeth.

Melissa

Edited to add something about your actual post: I'm very lucky not to have had the sun problem at all. I read outside at least 3 times a week. I think mine actually shows up more in the sun.
Haha, thank you. After wearing braces for approximately four years; having my mouth wired shut for a whopping two months; and having to undergo another full year of recovery, I have no choice but to take care of my teeth. I have to tell you, it was torture not being able to munch on food. I was on a liquid diet for a long time, and I had to learn how to eat again. I treat my teeth (and in a non-egotistical way) like gold.

I'm too scared to read in the sun now. When I get my replacement tomorrow, I'm going to protect it from the sun. As I protect it from the sun, it would also sooth my conscience.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
reemixx said:
Out of curiosity, has anyone noticed this problem with the K1? Or is it strictly limited to the K2?
I've only tried mine in the direct sun once to see if it could be read...wasn't a long stretch but nothing happened. Now I read a lot in the car while waiting for DD to get out of school...sometimes the sun is streaming in but not directly onto my Kindle but it's still pretty bright for reading. Other than an occasional blue moon freeze...no problems.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
reemixx said:
Out of curiosity, has anyone noticed this problem with the K1? Or is it strictly limited to the K2?
It's weird because I haven't had ANY problems with my K1 because the text was super-duper dark to start with. When I used to own the K1, I would read outside with no problems.

·
Registered
257 Posts
chynared21 & ElLector: Yeah, that's what I thought... The text on my new K1 is also super duper dark, so I don't see there being a problem. But thought I saw someone mention it once. I'd test it out but for the first time in a while, sunny Western Australia is actually very cloudy and rainy :p

There's some serious quality control issues with the K2, glad I didn't go that route.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
reemixx said:
chynared21 & ElLector: Yeah, that's what I thought... The text on my new K1 is also super duper dark, so I don't see there being a problem. But thought I saw someone mention it once. I'd test it out but for the first time in a while, sunny Western Australia is actually very cloudy and rainy :p

There's some serious quality control issues with the K2, glad I didn't go that route.
I can't argue with that reemixx. I'm not gonna lie, I miss my K1. :(

·
Registered
761 Posts
Condolences. Does anyone know the root of this? Does the sun 'bleach' the e-ink? And I assume this is permanent, after the unit is out of the sun?

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
reemixx said:
I have had my K1 since the beginning of November 08 and have never had any problems at all. I read in the sun all the time.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts