Kindle Forum banner

Guess what? A significant problem has recurred. (Update)

6K views 61 replies 30 participants last post by  MamaProfCrash 
#1 ·
It's a beautiful, sunny day in northern California. I feel great, so I decide to go outside and give myself a little kindle read. I'm excited, really excited. Okay, let's turn my Petit Livre on, and start reading an interesting article on The New Yorker about extinction. What!?! What's going on? Are the letters going extinct as well? Oh, no. My biggest fear has returned. The abominable sun showed no mercy to my Petit Livre, and decided to erase what I was reading. My joviality turns into rage, and now I have to read within the confines of my room.

Okay, I decide to call Amazon CS, and now I await a replacement. How many more replacements will I have to go through? This is my second one! I pre-ordered the DX as well to take with me if I decide to move to China, and I don't want to go through that problem with that one either. Unfortunately, there are no guarantees.

I have developed the oh-so-rare disease Sun-Kindle-itis. I don't care if my next Kindle will work under the sun's radiance, but I'm never going to read from it on a sunny day. I would rather use the text-to-speech feature instead. I'm downtrodden right now, but, hey, I know there are others who have suffered or continue to suffer from this rare disease as well. I'm here for you brother and sister. Wherever you are, I'm here for you.

See less See more
#5 ·
My 1st and 2nd Kindles had this problem. My 3rd was worse so I kept my 2nd but it sucks not to be able to read in the sun, or in the car if the sun is streaming in  :-\.  I'm debating another switch - the last few were new & I think a refurbished might be better as it will have been checked over (but in sunlight? who knows?). 

#8 ·
Crodley said:
I'm confused, was your Kindle able to read in the sun in the past but now has developed the problem over time? I thought they were bad from the start or good to go from the start?
When I got my first Kindle, I couldn't run the test because first, I was never aware or thought of ever having that problem, and second, it was very cloudy during that period, so there was no way to figure that problem out. It happened by chance when I decided to read on a sunny day. Now, when I got my first replacement, I initially ran the sun test, and didn't see any significant problems until, a few months later, I started to notice a few changes, but not worthy enough for a replacement. Today, however, I confirmed it.

What's interesting is that I spoke to an Amazon CS representative today, and she told me that they don't know the cause to the problem, but is aware of it. "Are you seriously kidding me?!?" That was what I thought when she gave me that answer.

So, no, I don't believe (can't give a straight answer) that it should be bad from the start. That's a good point, though. I'm sorry that I couldn't give you a clear-cut answer. If Amazon CS couldn't give me a knowledgeable answer, I would be much less qualified to give you a clear or correct answer as well. I think that sucks, and as I have previously posted, I'm not going to read under the sun again. I would rather not take the risk.

I think I'm going to have to call my next Kindle Vampirci.

#11 ·
meljackson said:
You have the whitest teeth.

Melissa

Edited to add something about your actual post: I'm very lucky not to have had the sun problem at all. I read outside at least 3 times a week. I think mine actually shows up more in the sun.
Haha, thank you. After wearing braces for approximately four years; having my mouth wired shut for a whopping two months; and having to undergo another full year of recovery, I have no choice but to take care of my teeth. I have to tell you, it was torture not being able to munch on food. I was on a liquid diet for a long time, and I had to learn how to eat again. I treat my teeth (and in a non-egotistical way) like gold.

I'm too scared to read in the sun now. When I get my replacement tomorrow, I'm going to protect it from the sun. As I protect it from the sun, it would also sooth my conscience.

#14 ·
reemixx said:
Out of curiosity, has anyone noticed this problem with the K1? Or is it strictly limited to the K2?
I've only tried mine in the direct sun once to see if it could be read...wasn't a long stretch but nothing happened. Now I read a lot in the car while waiting for DD to get out of school...sometimes the sun is streaming in but not directly onto my Kindle but it's still pretty bright for reading. Other than an occasional blue moon freeze...no problems.

#16 ·
chynared21 & ElLector: Yeah, that's what I thought... The text on my new K1 is also super duper dark, so I don't see there being a problem. But thought I saw someone mention it once. I'd test it out but for the first time in a while, sunny Western Australia is actually very cloudy and rainy :p

There's some serious quality control issues with the K2, glad I didn't go that route.

#17 ·
reemixx said:
chynared21 & ElLector: Yeah, that's what I thought... The text on my new K1 is also super duper dark, so I don't see there being a problem. But thought I saw someone mention it once. I'd test it out but for the first time in a while, sunny Western Australia is actually very cloudy and rainy :p

There's some serious quality control issues with the K2, glad I didn't go that route.
I can't argue with that reemixx. I'm not gonna lie, I miss my K1. :(

#21 ·
I've had my K2 since late February and had read in the car and outside in the sun and never had a problem.  However, yesterday I was waiting in the car for my husband and reading with the window open, sun shining and noticed a definite fading of the text.  It wasn't bad enough that I couldn't read it, but it did fade.  The only thing I can figure is that 1) it is just starting this nonsense or 2) the fade is more from the heat than the sun.  Before when I took it outside, it was in the upper 60's to low 70's.  This time it was about 80 degrees outside, so probably considerably warmer inside the car.  Something to consider.

#22 ·
The operating temperature range is 32 to 95 degrees Fahrenheit, the storage temp goes as high as 113.

Yesterday I was outside reading for an hour in 80 degrees with bright sunshine; still no fading on the K2.

#23 ·
ElLector said:
I think I'm going to have to call my next Kindle Vampirci.
Good name! I hope you get your issue resolved. My Kindle was given to me on May 1, and it seems to be just fine in the sunlight. No vampire references in my case. Good luck!

#24 ·
I have a question for those who have had sun fading...

Did the fading go away after you got out of the sunshine?  I know I have stated that I read in the sun all the time, but that is also Fall/Winter/Spring sunshine. I haven't done the hot Summer sun as of yet and I am now beginning to become leery of the hot summer months ahead. My K1 is still under warranty, but I don't want to have to replaced it any time soon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.