Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Congrats to you, Jude.  Great article.  I tried 3 times to leave a comment but it kept bouncing me back to a new security code.  So I'll just congratulate you here. 

It must have been heartbreaking to have come so close in the past only to have your book put in limbo because of the economy and other factors.  Good thing you persevered.  :)

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
JeanneM said:
Congrats to you, Jude. Great article. I tried 3 times to leave a comment but it kept bouncing me back to a new security code. So I'll just congratulate you here.

It must have been heartbreaking to have come so close in the past only to have your book put in limbo because of the economy and other factors. Good thing you persevered. :)
Thanks, Jeanne! Your comment might show up eventually. He has some kind of moderation function on, so comments don't show up immediately. Hope yours is there!

·
Registered
686 Posts
I'm glad it worked out for you, Jude!

I've never rejected an agent directly but I did have an agent use my IRC (International Reply Coupon) to send me a standard rejection letter with a flyer for a seminar he was hosting.  I sent him an angry e-mail stating he was using authors money to promote his services. He promptly replied back by offering to look at the entire manuscript.  I never sent it to him.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mobashar Qureshi said:
I'm glad it worked out for you, Jude!

I've never rejected an agent directly but I did have an agent use my IRC (International Reply Coupon) to send me a standard rejection letter with a flyer for a seminar he was hosting. I sent him an angry e-mail stating he was using authors money to promote his services. He promptly replied back by offering to look at the entire manuscript. I never sent it to him.
Thanks, Mobashar. The thing is, I've never heard of anyone getting an acceptance letter in the SASE they provided. Those things are for rejections, 100% of the time. If an agent is interested in your work, s/he will call on the phone. It was a little tacky to include a seminar flyer along with the rejection letter, though. If you hadn't researched the agent thoroughly before querying (which you should have), then that might raise a red flag.

·
Registered
513 Posts
What a crazy ride you've had, Jude  :)!  I loved the article, and I'm so happy for you that your perserverance paid off and you landed that dream agent.

That is some seriously inspirational stuff.  Congrats on both your agent and your article! 

P.S. your cover art is amazing.  Love it!

·
Registered
489 Posts
Inspirational :D

When you sent a rejection letter, it automatically made me think of this (clearly not the same scenario, but it came to mind):

Dear Hiring Manager,

Thank you for your letter of March 1. After careful consideration, I regret to inform you that I am unable to accept your refusal to offer me a position in your department.

This year I have been particularly fortunate in receiving an unusually large number of rejection letters. With such a varied and promising field of candidates, it is impossible for me to accept all refusals.

Despite your companies outstanding qualifications and previous experience in rejecting applicants, I find that your rejection does not meet my needs at this time. Therefore, I will assume the position in your department this August.

I look forward to seeing you then.

Best of luck in rejecting future applicants.
I always joked that I would send something like this eventually. lol

·
Registered
686 Posts
Jude, I had researched the agent before sending him a query (he was highly recommended in Jeff Herman's Guide).  In fact, I had read his book on publishing and agents. I think that's what ticked me off.  Needless to say, I eventually found a publisher here in Canada.

PM - loved the rejection of the rejection!

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Jude Hardin said:
Thanks, Mobashar. The thing is, I've never heard of anyone getting an acceptance letter in the SASE they provided. Those things are for rejections, 100% of the time. If an agent is interested in your work, s/he will call on the phone. It was a little tacky to include a seminar flyer along with the rejection letter, though. If you hadn't researched the agent thoroughly before querying (which you should have), then that might raise a red flag.
Email, phone call, and email is how I've been offered representation. (The first agent tried to phone me but I was living in China at the time, and he couldn't get through for some reason.)

In this day and age anyone insisting upon snail mail is no one I'd do bidness with, frankly.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
RebeccaKnight said:
What a crazy ride you've had, Jude :)! I loved the article, and I'm so happy for you that your perserverance paid off and you landed that dream agent.

That is some seriously inspirational stuff. Congrats on both your agent and your article!

P.S. your cover art is amazing. Love it!
Thanks, Rebecca!

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
PMartelly said:
Inspirational :D

When you sent a rejection letter, it automatically made me think of this (clearly not the same scenario, but it came to mind):

I always joked that I would send something like this eventually. lol
It was a tough decision, but one I'm very happy with. Love my new agent!

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Eric C said:
Email, phone call, and email is how I've been offered representation. (The first agent tried to phone me but I was living in China at the time, and he couldn't get through for some reason.)

In this day and age anyone insisting upon snail mail is no one I'd do bidness with, frankly.
You're right, Eric. Snail mail is just so...sluggish!

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks, Vicki! Awesome that you made the NYT bestseller list. I was happy just to crack the top 100 in Amazon's "Ghosts" category with my horror novella this morning, lol.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Mobashar Qureshi said:
Jude, I had researched the agent before sending him a query (he was highly recommended in Jeff Herman's Guide). In fact, I had read his book on publishing and agents. I think that's what ticked me off. Needless to say, I eventually found a publisher here in Canada.

PM - loved the rejection of the rejection!
Would you want to reveal this agent's identity, Mobashar? I have a guess...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts