Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sure I am not the only one like this, so here goes.

One of the things I love about my Kindle is I can be reading a trashy romance novel, and no one can tell that I'm not reading Charles Dickens because there is no book cover with some drop-dead gorgeous hunk on it.  I don't make a steady diet of these, but I do enjoy one now and then and I am somewhat embarrassed to admit it.

So, when I am in the mood, give me a good bodice-ripper on my Kindle, some chocolate and a comfy chair and I am in heaven.  :-*

·
Registered
157 Posts
Yeah I have to admit that I love that I can read my Laurell K Hamilton books without ppl knowing I am reading pure smut (even tho I do wish there was a little more action and less sex).  I can't seem to give those books up, to invested in the characters lol.  

Also... I love reading children's books as well, I am planning on the Lemony Snicket books next.  Sometimes I feel old having someone know I am reading a book for an 8 year old lol.  Feh, I was not the only adult reading Harry Potter, or re-reading Charlotte's Web.

·
Registered
736 Posts
tlshaw said:
So, when I am in the mood, give me a good bodice-ripper on my Kindle, some chocolate and a comfy chair and I am in heaven. :-*
Oh, I needed a really good *laugh* this morning and you sure provided one for me! So true....I'm with you!

The Great Kindle Koverup. You naughty Kindler. :D

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
I always used a book cover no matter what I was reading (pre-Kindle) just to avoid passers by with their lengthy interrogations and spoilers (mostly in the summer at the beach).

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Hilarious.  It's like being a spy, but without the possibility of having to defuse a bomb.

~robin

·
Registered
41 Posts
sjc said:
I always used a book cover no matter what I was reading (pre-Kindle) just to avoid passers by with their lengthy interrogations and spoilers (mostly in the summer at the beach).
I thought that I was the only one that this happened to! I was reading a book by the pool this summer when we were on vacation and some random lady actually came up and said, "I loved that book! Don't you just love how the writer gets them together in the end after blah, blah, blah happens?!?"

I was totally flabbergasted...thanks lady, since I haven't reached the end yet obviously.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
tlshaw, I am so with you! I have been on a tear for the past few months, reading books that have "headless six-pack abs" all over the cover. I am so glad I can just read them anywhere, anonymously, and no one knows!

And diva, I can't believe someone came up to you on the beach and spoiled the ending! LOL. I would have been fit to be tied!

L

·
Registered
736 Posts
Leslie said:
tlshaw, I am so with you! I have been on a tear for the past few months, reading books that have "headless six-pack abs" all over the cover.
Leslie -- Are the "six-pack abs" really headless or do they have Hugh Jackman's face? ;) Fess up.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
libro said:
Leslie -- Are the "six-pack abs" really headless or do they have Hugh Jackman's face? ;) Fess up.
In my mind's eye they have Hugh's face but on the cover they are truly headless (and really, the covers are dreadful. The stories inside are so much better).

I put a bunch of links for 19th century historicals over on your thread in the book corner, btw.

L

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had no idea what I was starting with this post. Glad to see I'm not alone.

Leslie,
I will have to check out the links for the 19th century historicals - those are usually the best.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
tlshaw said:
I had no idea what I was starting with this post. Glad to see I'm not alone.

Leslie,
I will have to check out the links for the 19th century historicals - those are usually the best.
Like I said on the other thread, I have been on a tear with these books the past few months--devouring them like potato chips! And I am so happy because they've all been SO GOOD.

L

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, I work for a university, so I have off all next week, and my grad school classes don't start back until Jan. 19.

Boy, since I will be home with no homework, and my husband and daughter will both be working, I think I will have lots of time to indulge my guilty pleasure. Better start checking out those links.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Leslie said:
In my mind's eye they have Hugh's face but on the cover they are truly headless (and really, the covers are dreadful. The stories inside are so much better).

I put a bunch of links for 19th century historicals over on your thread in the book corner, btw.

L
L -- Don't get me going about Hugh *pant* BTW, have you seen the movie Deception? ::)

And yes, I did see the great list of 19th century historicals you reposted in the other thread...thanks again! I've been busy looking them up.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
libro said:
L -- Don't get me going about Hugh *pant* BTW, have you seen the movie Deception? ::)
Yes, I am one of the 43 people in the US who saw it in the theater. I saw it on opening day because I had a strong suspicion it wouldn't be around for too long. I was right! LOL

And yes, I did see the great list of 19th century historicals you reposted in the other thread...thanks again! I've been busy looking them up.
Like I said over there, Standish is print only right now, so if you actually wanted to buy a paper book, that might be a good one to start with.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Ahh, the anonymity of a Kindle. It's all good until you show it to somebody and the last book you read was erotica, or they come across your stash of trashy vampire novels, or the sheer glut of m/m stories (or is that just me and Leslie?) you have stored on there?

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Mikuto said:
Ahh, the anonymity of a Kindle. It's all good until you show it to somebody and the last book you read was erotica, or they come across your stash of trashy vampire novels, or the sheer glut of m/m stories (or is that just me and Leslie?) you have stored on there?
I'm working on converting a few of the folks around here.... ;) ;D

L

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Its embarassing when your uncle going through your kindle at a family christmas party and reads off my list of books that include titles like: Incubus Dreams, Dark Resurrection, A Gardian's Possession, Lady Chatterley's Lover, Only The Neck Down, Six Bad Things, Swallowing Darkness, Untamed, Women in Love, your Heart belongs to me

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hmm, I've actually never read a bodice-ripper, but it's starting to look intriguing.  And having a Kindle is certainly the perfect excuse!

1 - 20 of 83 Posts