Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,969 Posts
parryberan said:
As we all know that writing is not very tough but its not even easy.I want to know which things we should keep in mind before start writing any book.
I'm a bit confused by this question, can you clarify what you mean? What sort of answers are you looking for?

·
Registered
93 Posts
It looks like you already wrote one, by your profile picture. If you're writing fiction, a good idea of your genre, plot and characters are required before you start.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
1. Make a cup of coffee.

2. Acquire a cat or two.

3. Sharpen your keyboard.

4. Plug your computer into the wall.

5. Try to figure out ANY other way of making money, then go do that instead.

6. Pee.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
SevenDays said:
1. Make a cup of coffee.

2. Acquire a cat or two.

6. Pee.
Love this! (Except both my cat and dog died years ago.)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Well it depends what kind of book you are writing. Is it fiction or non-fiction? While you don't want to short change your reader, they are intelligent and will know if you cheat, non-fiction invariably requires more research. Then layout and structure are different as non-fiction might have a table of contents etc.

If it's fiction then people's methods vary wildly. Some like to have everything worked out to the last detail, all they have to do is colour between the lines. Others like nothing more than a concept and to start typing and have everything work out while they are writing. Then there's the middle ground and it's entirely up to you.

Then there's preparation that isn't book specific, like making sure the desk is setup how you like it, that you have a drink on hand, that the favourite writing music is ready, that other people in the house know not to intrude etc.

What you go into writing armed with is entirely up to you. To be honest I don't think there is a standard. For instance I would say a computer or some form of electronic typing is necessary, but others hand write their first drafts. It's all personal preference.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
First thing's first, do you own property in a secure location, preferably out of screaming distance? If not, that's okay, but you'll have to invest in some soundproofing. Or buy a boat.

Second, dig a deep hole or set up a room with a very strong lock.

Third, pick up some animal tranquilizers.

Fourth, track down your favorite author and ask them to mentor you. When they refuse, hit them with the animal tranquilizer and take them back to your secure location, dropping them in the hole or locking them in the room.

Fifth, serenade your captive mentor with your plot ideas. If they start weeping and begging you to let them go, that just shows how much your story has moved them.

Sixth, if you still have trouble writing, then get your captive mentor to write it for you as a starter. If they have trouble writing down your ideas, show them pictures of their loved ones with motivational messages scribbled over them like "I'M COMING FOR THEM NEXT."

In all seriousness though, there are only two real rules for writing fiction: make sure you enjoy what you're writing and finish writing the book. That's it. Everything else varies by writer. Some like to plot the story out before, some prefer to see where the story takes them. Some meticulously edit as they go along, some word-vomit onto their keyboards. Some write tens of thousands of words a day working for several others, some only write about a hundred words a day in whatever time they can find.

·
Registered
302 Posts
The first thing you need to do is say goodbye to your loved ones. You won't be seeing them for awhile. Luckily, my partner is pretty patient... but every few days I get the "Soooo... when are we going to watch this stuff on the DVR?" question.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Josh St. John said:
The first thing you need to do is say goodbye to your loved ones. You won't be seeing them for awhile. Luckily, my partner is pretty patient... but every few days I get the "Soooo... when are we going to watch this stuff on the DVR?" question.
"If I didn't come down here and bug you ever now and then, I'd never see you at all!"

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
SevenDays said:
1. Make a cup of coffee.

2. Acquire a cat or two.

6. Pee.
I would say a POT of coffee. But that's just me. I used to be a cup a day person until I started writing. Now I own stock in coffee companies. (Not really but I do drink a LOT of coffee.)

·
Registered
12,722 Posts
Find a monkey that can type.

·
Registered
514 Posts
You don't need to do anything.  It's like those crazy people at Nike are always saying- Just do it!

Then the trial by fire will begin, but we'll save that for another post.  Ha ha.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
dianapersaud said:
I would say a POT of coffee. But that's just me. I used to be a cup a day person until I started writing. Now I own stock in coffee companies. (Not really but I do drink a LOT of coffee.)
Actually, I agree. I used to joke that Dunkin' Donuts coffee should have been in the Acknowledgements for my first novel.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Perry Constantine said:
First thing's first, do you own property in a secure location, preferably out of screaming distance? If not, that's okay, but you'll have to invest in some soundproofing. Or buy a boat.

Second, dig a deep hole or set up a room with a very strong lock.

Third, pick up some animal tranquilizers.

Fourth, track down your favorite author and ask them to mentor you. When they refuse, hit them with the animal tranquilizer and take them back to your secure location, dropping them in the hole or locking them in the room.

Fifth, serenade your captive mentor with your plot ideas. If they start weeping and begging you to let them go, that just shows how much your story has moved them.

Sixth, if you still have trouble writing, then get your captive mentor to write it for you as a starter. If they have trouble writing down your ideas, show them pictures of their loved ones with motivational messages scribbled over them like "I'M COMING FOR THEM NEXT."

In all seriousness though, there are only two real rules for writing fiction: make sure you enjoy what you're writing and finish writing the book. That's it. Everything else varies by writer. Some like to plot the story out before, some prefer to see where the story takes them. Some meticulously edit as they go along, some word-vomit onto their keyboards. Some write tens of thousands of words a day working for several others, some only write about a hundred words a day in whatever time they can find.
Sounds like an awesome plan! Thanks for giving me my laugh for the day. I needed that. :)

·
Registered
413 Posts
1. Procrastinate
2. Create folder on PC for new writing idea
3. Procrastinate
4. Check sales
5. Check KBoards
6. Read email
7. Procrastinate
8. Double check email in case something new came in
9. Go and check the post box
10. Sit in front of computer, stretch arms above head
11. Notice picture on wall isn't straight
12. Fix picture on wall
13. Make lunch
14. Spend time thinking how to spend the millions of dollars about to roll in from the new book
15. Look up prices of boats
16. Back to KBoards
17. Re-check email
18. The carpet looks a little dirty
19. Vacuum carpet
20. Make cup of tea as reward for all your hard work
21. Uh oh, I'm out of milk
22. Drive to shops
23. Special on at hardware store.
24. Buy new picture hook in case the picture over my desk is crooked again
25. Drive home
26. I forgot the milk.
27. Give up on tea and open bottle of wine. One glass won't hurt.
28. Sit back at computer
29. Oooh - someone emailed me a picture of a kitten
30. Reply with witty comment
31. Open Word. Type "Chapter One"
32. Close Word. Open Scrivener.
33. Close Scrivener, look up YouTube tutorials for Scrivener
34. More kittens
35. Order pizza, it's been a long day
36. Wonder why the bottle of wine is empty
37. Go to KBoards
38. See thread about pre-orders. That sounds fancy.
39. Go to KDP dashboard, set up pre-order for new title.
40. Panic
41. Open new bottle of wine
42. Pizza arrives. I didn't order pepperoni.
43. Tip the delvier boy anyway - I'm about to be a squillionaire anyway, as soon as this book is out
44. Check word count.
45. Panic
46. Try to cancel pre-order
47. Panic
48. Theres only one thing for this situation - procrastinate
49. More wine
50. Pass out at computer
51. Wake up and repeat......

1 - 20 of 31 Posts