Kindle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I love our kindles.  We have two k3's but while on our honeymoon, I realized that her kindle has a hairline fracture in the case in the lower right hand corner starting at the screen edge, going about an inch.

Should I get amazon to replace it?  It was new in Feb.  It has been kept in an amazon lighted case since day 1.

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
You should definitely contact Kindle Customer Support.  I think there have been some problems with the hinges in the lighted case causing cracks.  Others will know more.

Betsy

·
Registered
12,255 Posts
Its up to you, I am sure if you want it replaced they will do it. There have been several posts I read about this issue, here, there and everywhere  ;D. I actually have one that developed in the same spot. Lower right, coming out of the screen diagonally. I never had mine in a hinged cover.
I am not going to worry about it until its really bad, if it ever gets to that point. It does seem to get longer over time. It stared as a maybe 5 mm line, not its more like a third of an inch. If it bugs me visually, but is otherwise sound, I'll stick a skin on it.
I just don't want to deal with another replacement, but thats me.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I also had the crack and tried ignoring it for the past 3 months (it started in February - I have had my Kindle 3 since August).  It was growing and a new one appeared on the left side.  I called Amazon and they sent me a replacement 2 weeks ago.  I'm so glad I did!  Its so nice not to have my eyes travel to the crack to check its progess and to have to treat the Kindle with kid gloves because I was scared to make it worse.  Call - I think you will be happier than waiting like I did.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Just this weekend, I noticed a hairline crack on my K3 in the same place and have been obsessing about it.  I double checked and I have until October before my warranty runs out.  I thought I would see if it would get worse, but I might call CS sooner rather than later.  I am concerned that this might happen again and wonder if they have figured out what the fix is.  :(

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just a Q. - do all of you w/ Kindle cracks use the Amazon hinged case?  Wondering if this problem is related to use of the Kindle or use of that particular case. 

I'm new to Kindle (5 day user) and keep it in an Oberon (since delivery yesterday).

·
Registered
38 Posts
I too have a hairline crack..its on the left corner...maybe a third of an inch..I just put a skin over it and don't even notice it anymore..I used a Nokey skin..I love it..I never had problems with letter fade but I love the look of the K3 skinned with the Nokey..the Keys are so easy to see now...nice and bright white..Other than the crack my Kindle works fine so I figured why chance the refurb...

·
Registered
208 Posts
Mine has the same thing and I looked today and I'm sure the crack is getting longer.

I don't use my Kindle every day, in fact it spent the last three months sitting on my shelf while I've been playing with my iPad, but I've started using it again and noticed the crack as soon as I looked at it.

I wasn't going to worry about it (I suspect I'll get the K4 when it comes out and this will be pass on to a friend), but if it's a common thing I think I'll contact customer support tomorrow and see what happens.

I have had the lighted cover since Christmas.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I have a Graphite K3 and a Graphite DX. Both have developed hairline cracks but in different locations. The K3 cracks began simultaneously in both lower corners and gradually "grew" over time, extending all the way to the edges. The DX crack is a single half-inch horizontal hairline crack on the upper right, directly abeam the Home button. All of my Kindles, including previous generations, have been handled with extreme care, never dropped, not a scratch and look like they are brand new (covers too!).

Before the warranty expired on the DX I called Amazon and they sent a replacement. I was expecting a refurb but it arrived scratched in numerous places and was rather beat up. I was so peeved about the unacceptable condition that I sent it back and kept the original with the crack. This was the only time I have been unhappy with Amazon's customer service. I should not be required to return multiple replacements in order to have a Kindle in a condition at least the same, or better than, the one being replaced. Especially for the price of a DX.

I am not going to make the same mistake with my K3.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Mine's a Graphite K3, too.

Skydog said:
The K3 cracks began simultaneously in both lower corners and gradually "grew" over time, extending all the way to the edges.
Does anyone know what happens when the crack reaches the edge of the case? If I could be sure the Kindle isn't just going to fall apart on me, I wouldn't worry about it so much.

Functionally, my K3 still works fine and hasn't exhibited any other issues.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts