Kindle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Remember a few years ago when Hallmark announced they would begin publishing romances? (Wow, was that THREE years ago?? Seemed like only one or maybe two at most.) Here's the thread from that time.
https://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,253720.msg3534725.html#msg3534725

At the time many writers were disappointed that Hallmark's requirements were for squeaky-clean books. Like, sappy, squeaky clean. That's how their TV movies are as well. I knew my early attempts at romance wouldn't pass muster since there's too much kissing and people having, you know, physical urges.

Anyway, the TV channel is now coming under fire, for the lack of LGBTQ characters/storylines in the upcoming onslaught of Christmas movies. I don't know why people are surprised; do they think that a channel that is known far and wide for its wholesome, feather-light, antiseptic movies is suddenly going to start showing movies with two women holding hands or kissing? For heaven's sake, it was only within the last year or two that Hallmark movies featured people of color as lead characters. And only last year in 2019 did they have movies that included a mention of Hanukkah.

https://news.yahoo.com/hallmark-channel-history-exclusion-commitment-lgbtq-storylines-raises-doubt-184107097.html

Edited to remove further discussion of the cable channel, which is outside the WC's purview. Discussion of Hallmark's book publishing efforts is fine. Drop me a PM if you have any questions. - Becca

·
Administrator
10,147 Posts
An argument about the movies on Hallmark's cable channel is outside our focus. Please limit the discussion to Hallmark's publishing activity: if the company is running into controversy about representation in its books, that would be in the Writers' Cafe's wheelhouse. Thanks.

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess the lesson here is that authors who want to consider Hallmark for publishing their romances should keep in mind that the organization that is only now beginning to enter the 21st century is probably not the best place to submit novels in which characters have sexual urges, are open to non-traditional relationships, are "curious" in any way, or even are divorced or non-virgins.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts