Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 1012 Posts

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NOV 29 UPDATE: http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,252500.msg3599299.html#msg3599299

Donations for legal fees being taken at: https://www.gofundme.com/6we7rk-it-takes-a-community

To make a direct donation via PayPal (Christina will update the gofundme page manually), use "friends & family": christina{at}christinagarner.com

ORIGINAL POST (June 19, 2017):

I'm posting the following as follow-up for the folk who donated to Christina's legal fund via gogetfunding.
http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,250747.0.html

Much of the money has already been put to use.

Today, Rebecca Hamilton and QBW Services were served with a civil lawsuit citing:

1) BREACH OF WRITTEN AGREEMENT;

(2) BREACH OF IMPLIED COVENANTS OF GOOD FAITH AND FAIR DEALING;

(3) FRAUD;

(4) UNJUST ENRICHMENT;

(5) LIBEL PER SE; and

(6) DEFAMATION

Details of the case as they accrue will be posted publicly at:
http://www.lacourt.org/casesummary/ui/index.aspx?casetype=civil

You'll need to enter the case number: BC664530

It's my understanding as well that Rebecca's Amazon account was terminated last month, and that it has not been reinstated. Others likely know more about the details around the new LLC the box sets are now being published under via Pronoun.

Christina will be along later to answer what questions she can. It's early yet in the suit, and there will some things she won't be able to discuss. So please keep that in mind. Right now, she just wants to assure those who donated that their money is in fact being used for the legal fees intended.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Banned by Amazon sounds like an indie's worst nightmare. Sounds like a good lesson for always being on the up and up. Behave in a shady way with your business and sooner or later it will catch up to you.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to once again say a heartfelt thank you for the outpouring of support I've received since all of this went public.

The financial donations made it possible to finally hold Rebecca accountable for her actions, and the messages of support have been more helpful than I can say during what has been a very stressful time.

Thank you all very much.

If you have any questions, I'll answer what I can. I'm limited in what I can say at this time, but this has been a community effort, and it's my intention to include those interested as much as possible.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Hi Christina,

Wow, this is a big deal. I guess I'm just curious: will Rebecca be able to "settle"?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Thanks so much for keeping us updated!

·
Registered
561 Posts
I'm confused. Is this a different Rebecca Hamilton?

edit -- link removed. The thread is only for purposes of keeping interested parties informed about the status of the case and we will NOT allow links to publications still available that rebecca may be connected to as that's off topic for the thread, thanks. -- Mod Team

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Rebecca's KDP account was terminated. I should have been more precise.

The ebooks on her author page are published by other accounts. The cowritten books with Jasmine Walt presumably are under Jasmine's account. One of the titles is small-press pubbed. The Magic After Dark box has one of her books in it so she can claim it through her Author Central account, but it's pubbed through Pronoun. Her print and audio are also unaffected. But all ebooks via KDP are gone.

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
PhoenixS said:
Rebecca's KDP account was terminated. I should have been more precise.

The ebooks on her author page are published by other accounts. The cowritten books with Jasmine Walt presumably are under Jasmine's account. One of the titles is small-press pubbed. The Magic After Dark box has one of her books in it so she can claim it through her Author Central account, but it's pubbed through Pronoun. Her print and audio are also unaffected. But all ebooks via KDP are gone.
I guess that puts a giant hole in the "Amazon doesn't have a problem with it" defense.

·
Banned
979 Posts
Amazon actually terminated her KDP account? Color me pleasantly surprised.

I wonder if some of her proteges are next? It'd be nice if the scammers were cleared out before I finally publish my UF novels, but that's probably too much to hope for. Scammers always find a way...

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
NeedWant said:

I wonder if some of her proteges are next? It'd be nice if the scammers were cleared out before I finally publish my UF novels, but that's probably too much to hope for. Scammers always find a way...
They find a way, or they find a new scam.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
NeedWant said:

And make things more difficult for the rest of us.

Google's answer to the scammers was to shut down access. I doubt Amazon will go that far. If a scammer is going to bypass KDP and use a distributor (like Pronoun) to get back on Amazon, they won't last long. After all, Amazon will still be able to catch rank manipulation IF they are looking for it.

In a previous life, I uncovered an international fraud scheme and brought it to the attention of the Executive team. I was told the FBI was monitoring it and to allow the fraudsters to continue doing what they were doing. Apparently they (FBI) wanted to give them enough rope to hang themselves with before they made their move.

Just because nothing is being done doesn't mean people aren't aware of the problem.

1 - 20 of 1012 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.